Endurance Test 2013

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took Cleo for her second ride with me - nearly killed me when she stopped to sniff light poles!

At least by about 3-4kms she gets the idea of running beside the bike and not pulling me along! I love how I can see Cleo doing what Dalmatians are meant to do - run! She's got awesome stamina and endurance.

I have to say the new bike seat I bought today makes a WORLD of difference to the butt bones. Glad I work next to a bike shop! They even gave me a discount!

Elise+Hudson, I picked up my bike from Big W for $98 then I spent $40 on a better bike seat. It's quite a good little bike too =]

Good for you!

Definitely a good idea to get good saddle for your bike. You can even get gel seat covers which cushion you. The padded bike shorts or knicks also are highly recommended.

M

Elise+Hudson, I picked up my bike from Big W for $98 then I spent $40 on a better bike seat. It's quite a good little bike too =]

:laugh:

I did this too, cheap bike and expensive bike seat! Gotta have a well cushioned seat :laugh:

That looks pretty good, Elise. The main thing is that it's fairly comfortable (endorse the gel seat!!) A bike shop will help fit it for you so that you'll feel comfortable. Light frame is also good if you'll be hoisting it on and off a bike rack. :) .

I'm, jealous - like TerraNik - I'm out of dogs. :D

E+H, I was thinking of running, but staying at 10-11km an hour for 20km, I just don't think I could do it...so I'm taking the easy way out and using dad's bike :laugh:

For training, I am running with Rusty 7-9km about once or twice a week, I was thinking when I get back from my trip, so in about April, to start doing the 9km run, coming home for a 10-20 minute break, then taking him for a 4.7km bike ride around the block...is this too much or not enough? Should I be doing a second round around the block about a month before the ET? Sorry, I am a bit clueless with the training part of the ET, just want to make sure I'm doing it right :D

Hi R &B. firstly what size, age and breed is the dog you want to do this with?

Your training sounds far more than adequate. Don't wear or burn the dog out before you start.

Dogs can amaze us with their vitality and agileness. I have seen dogs with minimal to no training achieve their ET in one test. I don't recommend that though.

M

I've got a question Abbiestar, more a general dog exercising quesition than an ET question. Since discovering that biking with Cleo is a fairly easy way to get her exercise needs without killing me, I want to ride with her as exercise, not just for the ET.

Have you got any tips on how much is too much? Cleo is a dalmatian with insatiable appetite for exercise and running with a fair level of fitness already.

I appreciate any feedback, I don't want to burn her out.

Sorry, Rusty is a 25kg Australian Shepherd. Thank you very much for your advise...burning him out or injuring is definately the last thing I want to happen! So should I just stick to my 7-9km runs and just don't bother doing the bike ride around the block 20 minutes after? Thank you again by the way Abbiestar, it's much appreciated :D

Sorry, Rusty is a 25kg Australian Shepherd. Thank you very much for your advise...burning him out or injuring is definately the last thing I want to happen! So should I just stick to my 7-9km runs and just don't bother doing the bike ride around the block 20 minutes after? Thank you again by the way Abbiestar, it's much appreciated :D

Hi R and B,

Burn out is the last thing that any of us want for your dog. Definitely cut out the bike ride after the run. maybe alternate between running and cycling so that the dog is accustomed to both. With the training you are currently doing, i am quite confident you will have no problems at all competing in an ET.

Which test do you have in mind?

M

I've got a question Abbiestar, more a general dog exercising quesition than an ET question. Since discovering that biking with Cleo is a fairly easy way to get her exercise needs without killing me, I want to ride with her as exercise, not just for the ET.

Have you got any tips on how much is too much? Cleo is a dalmatian with insatiable appetite for exercise and running with a fair level of fitness already.

Hi dotdashdot,

Firstly, how old is Cleo?

As an adult (18 months+), she should technically be able to work all day long for you.

If she is of adult age, one hour would be ample exercise daily. It is important not to wear her out.

If she is 12-18 months, probably half an hour. Under 12 months, I wouldn't give much extended exercise at all.

M

Hi R and B,

Burn out is the last thing that any of us want for your dog. Definitely cut out the bike ride after the run. maybe alternate between running and cycling so that the dog is accustomed to both. With the training you are currently doing, i am quite confident you will have no problems at all competing in an ET.

Which test do you have in mind?

M

OK, thank you very much :thumbsup: Luckily I hadn't started the bike rides yet!

I'm guessing you mean where I'm doing the test? If so I am doing the Tablelands in QLD :)

Hi dotdashdot,

Firstly, how old is Cleo?

As an adult (18 months+), she should technically be able to work all day long for you.

If she is of adult age, one hour would be ample exercise daily. It is important not to wear her out.

If she is 12-18 months, probably half an hour. Under 12 months, I wouldn't give much extended exercise at all.

M

Thanks heaps, she's two in April so I think our bike rides will be good, maybe I'll increase them slightly as my fitness increases as our rides are only about 15 mins currently.

Thanks again :)

I'm, jealous - like TerraNik - I'm out of dogs. :D

I have at least three that are good to go!

Any takers???? :)

M

I've done the GSDCV ET for the last two years and I am out of dogs as well! I will be there to cheer on Ish and whoever she does it with though, be good to enjoy the ET from the other side of the bike! LOL

The person to contact in SA is TRIALS MANAGER Mr Ian Cooke H: 08 8524 2185 M: 0418 832 722 the other email address is for the president.

As far as I'm aware the schedule hasn't been finalised yet, it's always advertised in the Dogs SA journal though. This is Ian's first year as the trial manager (he has loads of experience)so he may take some time to be able answer questions while he finalises all the details.

Thanks, I'll probably wait a while until it's published.

I assume I'll also have to join dogs SA, which is what put my off last year :o

Yep you will need to be a Dogs SA member, part of the deal of it being recognised as an ET. It's usually a nice relaxed atmophere too which is nice

After some serious consideration & some circumstances that has arisen , I am regretfully & publicly announcing my resignation of Trial Secretary of the Westernport Obedience Dog Club. The club has already received my letter :(. I do not know who will be taking my place, I do wish them well & do hope the ET still goes ahead.