Endurance Test 2013

Good luck to those going on Saturday and congrats to those who passed :thumbsup:

Am very disapointed as it doesn't look like the Tablelands one will go ahead, and Rusty and I have been training for months, and Biscuit has just started training also :( They need a minimum of 10 entries, and my dogs are the only 2 entered so far with the closing date being June 21 :o :laugh: I don't think there are any more up here this year either so looks like I have a whole year to train now :hitself:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to those going on Saturday and congrats to those who passed :thumbsup:

Am very disapointed as it doesn't look like the Tablelands one will go ahead, and Rusty and I have been training for months, and Biscuit has just started training also :( They need a minimum of 10 entries, and my dogs are the only 2 entered so far with the closing date being June 21 :o :laugh: I don't think there are any more up here this year either so looks like I have a whole year to train now :hitself:

So make a trip to Victoria.....

M :laugh:

Congratulations to the DCOV committee and the Rotti Club on running such a lovely trial and ordering such superb weather! Thanks Michael for being such a considerate and enthusiastic judge - even donated his bike so a competitor could finish the course :thumbsup:

As Dallies should, Ziggy just about did it in his sleep. Did not pant once and his H/R was 100, 100, 96 for the first 3 vet checks. It only went up to 113 at the end of the test after he'd been flirting disgracefully with some Spotty and Rotty gals :laugh:

Good luck to all competitors at next weekend's Endurance test at the Dalmatian Club.

At least the weather looks like being kind. 16 degrees maximum and partly cloudy.

Hope that is the case!

M

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Congratulations to the DCOV committee and the Rotti Club on running such a lovely trial and ordering such superb weather! Thanks Michael for being such a considerate and enthusiastic judge - even donated his bike so a competitor could finish the course :thumbsup:

As Dallies should, Ziggy just about did it in his sleep. Did not pant once and his H/R was 100, 100, 96 for the first 3 vet checks. It only went up to 113 at the end of the test after he'd been flirting disgracefully with some Spotty and Rotty gals :laugh:

Thanks for the kind words, TSD.

It was indeed a pleasure to judge today for the DCOV. Perfect weather, perfect club administration for the day, perfect sportsmanship all round.

A lovely class of 12 entrants, sadly only two casualties - one dog and one bike!

I enjoy my judging assignments greatly, but with that comes great responsibility. Sadly I did have to disqualify one entrant on veterinarian advice.

Very happy to give up my bike so the competitor could finish. She tried so hard to run when her bike failed her but just would not have finished in time. Glad to have been able to help.

Be proud of Ziggy, or Ziggy ET as it is now. He worked beautifully for you.

M

A great ET today, very well ran and everyone was so friendly. Just one more ET to go for us this season with the min pins. Hopefully Sale is going ahead l still haven't had a return call but there are a few people looking to enter now.

A great ET today, very well ran and everyone was so friendly. Just one more ET to go for us this season with the min pins. Hopefully Sale is going ahead l still haven't had a return call but there are a few people looking to enter now.

Awesome job with your min pin :thumbsup: The legs were really pumping and it was a gallop for the little mite the whole way. Appeared to do it with ease too!

Awesome job with your min pin :thumbsup: The legs were really pumping and it was a gallop for the little mite the whole way. Appeared to do it with ease too!

The Min Pin worked fabulously!

Smallest dog I have awarded a title to!

M

Any others in nsw this year? I would really love to take part in one this year, but am working the weekend of the act trial :(

What a shame, the ACT would have welcomed your entry.

The only others in NSW are:

Grafton 14 July

DogsNSW 11 August

Hope you can enter one.

M

No food. Same as trials. Remember it is a willingness test only. Not an obedience test. The dog does not have to perform at trial standard. As a judge I just want to see that the dog is WILLING to work for you.

M

I've been looking to get Zeus into ET because I think he'd be perfect. He has the stamina to go the distance, however, it's me who needs whipping into shape.

Do most people on the forum run/jog or ride? I'm thinking the riding might be easier for me fitness-wise but I don't know. I've noticed the NSW tests are held during winter. That's unfortunate because I think it'll kill my lungs due to my asthma :(

Maybe I can start working towards entering for next year -- I just need to get off my lazy backside and get fit again!

I've been looking to get Zeus into ET because I think he'd be perfect. He has the stamina to go the distance, however, it's me who needs whipping into shape.

Do most people on the forum run/jog or ride? I'm thinking the riding might be easier for me fitness-wise but I don't know. I've noticed the NSW tests are held during winter. That's unfortunate because I think it'll kill my lungs due to my asthma :(

Maybe I can start working towards entering for next year -- I just need to get off my lazy backside and get fit again!

Hi,

all ET tests are conducted in the winter months. There is a rule that cancels the test if the temperature reaches or exceeds 24 degrees celsius.

I guess it is easier on both dog and human to participate in the test during the cooler months.

Definitely recommend that you cycle the course. It is not as hard as it seems and is controlled at 10-11 kmh. It is broken into three sections of 8k, 6k and 6k again with rest periods in between.

Start riding now, it is amazing how quickly you will get in shape.

Good luck,

M

Oh I meant to ask, how do you all go about training your dogs to run alongside a bike? Isn't it illegal in Australia to cycle with a dog?

I just want to make sure I get the ins and outs before I go getting myself into trouble. Also, what sort of bikes are best suited? A mountain bike or road bike? I understand there are differences between the the two types as my brother has just got into road cycling and is loving it.

I have a very suitable all purpose bike - thicker tyres as I prefer to stay off the road (too scary :eek:) It's more of an upright position for me which is so much better for my back. We live in the hills so I put Zig in the car, bike on the carrier and head off to the Warburton trail.

Oh I meant to ask, how do you all go about training your dogs to run alongside a bike? Isn't it illegal in Australia to cycle with a dog?

I just want to make sure I get the ins and outs before I go getting myself into trouble. Also, what sort of bikes are best suited? A mountain bike or road bike? I understand there are differences between the the two types as my brother has just got into road cycling and is loving it.

Hi. I do both road cycling and off road. The roadie is fantastic for speed and long distance. I cannot wait for my weekend rides! That said the roadie would be most unsuitable for an ET.

Definitely consider a mountain bike or hybrid. The ET courses must cover at least three different surfaces and usually covers mainly gravel or unmade paths. Mountain bikes do it with ease. A road bike would struggle and the very thin tyres would not help you either.

You do not need to spend a lot of money on a bike.

To get your dog used to the bike start of by walking the bike between you and the dog. Once the dog is used to the bike being between you THEN start to ride it with the dog.

If you need to know anything else, please ask.

M

This weekend coming has ET's in Victoria, SA, ACT and WA.

Good luck to all entrants on the biggest ET weekend of the year.

Hope to see many posts of successes from those entering. Good luck all.

Looking forward to the gsdcv test on Saturday.

M