Red Cordial In Puppies Water

Pockets

Hi everyone

I recently read and article about a pig farmer who weans his piglets with red cordial. Apparently the preservative/benzoic (sp?) acid in cordials helps build the immune system and create an additional barrier for fighting off any nasty bacteria's.

It was a very interesting article and the stats provided showed an almost 0% stock loss since the farmer started.

Quite a few breeders now add cordial to newborn puppies water throughout their development up until 8 weeks when they leave and have had great success.

Has anyone else tried this ? Apparently the dosage is the same as it would be for humans :)

There has been a lot of research done on this via charles sturt uni and the Australian sports teams and the australian armed forces take raspberry cordial away with them to prevent giardia - and its given to kids in childrens hospitals for tummy bugs but there are only a couple on the market which do the job unless you make it yourself. One is Cottees but there appears to be two cottess you need the one which has at least 35% raspberries the other is a juice not a cordial but whether you can buy the real McCoy off a supermarket shelf is a big ask. You need to look to be sure it actually has raspberries in it. Most just have raspberry colour and flavour.

http://baliforfamilies.com/bali_belly_and_raspberry_cordial.htm

Edited by Steve

I know some pig breeders have been using the stuff since at least the eighties when I first heard about it. Oddly enough I knew someone who ran a cordial factory back then and he was well across it. But as Steve says, getting the 'real thing' these days is harder as they often just contain flavouring. I have been told of dog breeders using it but have no direct experience with it.

Edited by Diva

We use to recommend it for carsick dogs when I was working with ADT & NDTF - works a treat but never for this. Will try it with our next litter. Would a raspberry tea work ? Our healthfood shop has a lovely one - or is it something with the cordial that works better. No time to read the article now will come back to it tomorrow.

We use to recommend it for carsick dogs when I was working with ADT & NDTF - works a treat but never for this. Will try it with our next litter. Would a raspberry tea work ? Our healthfood shop has a lovely one - or is it something with the cordial that works better. No time to read the article now will come back to it tomorrow.

Its not the leaves its the fruit .I had a great conversation with this professor about 5 years ago and apparently what ever it is it is still active in anything raspberry including jams etc .they tested massive amounts of raspberries from heaps of different farms and at that stage hadnt identified what the property was but it wasnt affected by climate or soils - growing conditions etc raspberries do heaps of other things too - heaps of work on them re cancer and immune system stuff if you get a chance to look it up but a lot of that work gives credit to the ellagic acid in them.- You can buy that in pill form but its not the same as what we are talking about here because ellagic acid is found in other fruits but they dont do what raspberries do for giardia - bali belly etc.

Edited by Steve

Thanks for the info Steve :) I thought it was quite interesting, especially if it helps preventing digestive issues and upset tummies and bugs etc in very young puppies.

Oso - The dosage is the same as how you would make it for yourself.

I read it was something to do with the acid in rasberry cordial

Would this be an alternative to taking bottles and bottles

Of water when you travel for shows, as water that dogs are not used can course upset stomachs? Perhaps taking bottles of raserry cordial to add to water when traveling to prevent dogs getting sick from other waters

Cascade Raspberry has the right concentration - or did last time I purchased it. It's usually displayed with the "grown up" cordials not the Cottees stuff.

I've kept a bottle of it on hand ever since reading about the Charles Sturt studies and break it out when we have iffy tummy issues.

cascade is close - 25%.

Just reading this thread, it reminded me of giving a Horse medication BUTE for pain and putting it in Red Cordial I thought it was just to improve the taste BUT this old Horse man said it was for the horses stomach as well.

Bute now comes in an apple flavoured paste but is more expensive......so I suppose the old remedies work well for all animals.

Just had a look at the Cottee's product list and can't find any with 35% or greater raspberry? They have an apple and raspberry with 2% and a raspberry 'flavour' one (no raspberry content) but I can't find any others. Wondering if they still make one?

Just had a look at the Cottee's product list and can't find any with 35% or greater raspberry? They have an apple and raspberry with 2% and a raspberry 'flavour' one (no raspberry content) but I can't find any others. Wondering if they still make one?

Hi

I just googled "cordial 35% raspberry" & found Golden Circle have this percentage in their cordials.

http://www.goldencircle.com.au/Products/Drinks/Cordial

Kerry :)

Yes they still make it but it hasnt been on a supermarket shelf for a long time.

I don't think it's the raspberry, it's the Benzoic acid in the cordials that kills bacteria, it's a preservative that's used

In cordials to make them obviously last longer.

The research paper was about the acid not about the berry itself :)