Tcik Flea Teatments Whats Working Atm.

Tapua

I need some advice we heading to berry for a weeks holiday with all the dogs. We will be taking all the crew with us. All adults have had heartworm injections. So we need tcik & flea treatment for the coase and we will be bringing the baby (she will be 13 weeks when we go) so what will work for her?

Is revolution OK for the babay and what do you reccommend for the adults that works and is water resistant :)I will of course check with my but I am curious whats working ATM?

If you're headed to Berry I'd suggest using Advantix as your tick prevention. The Illawarra is a tick breeding ground and I prefer Advantix over Frontline. It's also water fast so your guys should be safe. Apply maybe 3 days before you leave.

It's also safe for your 13 week old puppy as it can be used on pups from 7 weeks.

Frontline is useless for ticks. Just ask the manufacturer, they will happily tell you how useless it is and give you percentages to back it up. Advantix is supposed to be a better product. Daily checking and be sure if you find one there will possibly be more appearing.

Frontline is useless for fleas as well. Go with Advantix, apply 3 days before you go and they will be covered for the duration of your holiday. Puppy won't need any heartworm treatment yet.

Hi

We live on the Central coast where tick and fleas are terrible due to sand and bush. My vet has said the only product to use for ticks is a preventic collar and whatever spot on treatment for fleas without the tick repellant. They say they last 2 months but he said to change them every month in high tick season. :)

I live on the mid north coast of NSW (a para tick hot spot) and I will only ever use Advantix. Frontline is next to useless imo, I work in a pet store and the amount of people saying that it doesn't work is amazing, despite doing all that Merial tell you to do.

Advantix is definitely the most popular product sold here, that said, it is NOT 100%. It's good if the dogs are swimming, just don't get wet 24 hours either side and DON'T use soap/detergent to wash the dogs.

Could also use a tick collar, but Im always hesitant to use one of those over a spot on.

I'd be using a spot on, Advantix being my preference, and a tick collar. Check all the dogs every night, all over. However ticks have been known to be inside dog flews, inside anal and vaginal areas and deep inside the ears too. Know the symptoms of tick paralysis and if at all concerned contact your vet or a local vet immediately. A good friend lost their dog recently to a tick embedded deep in the dog's ear :cry:

I have used Frontline Plus Spot On with no problems but in Summer time I go for the Advantix, only because they reckon it's better. Advantix still doesn't repell ticks, even though it says it does. My two get grass ticks all over their legs & paws every time they go for a walk. I find both spot ons work better if applied fairly evenly right down the back, from behind the ears to the base of the tail. Can someone please tell me, why dogs like to eat the ticks....maybe it's some ancient instinct they have to build up immunity :confused:

Edited by sheena

When we first moved to the area about 25yrs ago we were told to feed the tick to the dog as it helped build up immunity. I don't think my father ever did it. Not sure if it is an old wives tale or if it actually works.

Frontline is useless.

We were on Comfortise and now have moved onto Panoramis, makes giving heart worm & flea treatment cheaper, it also does All worms.

We are from Vic and planing on going to Bega NSW in feb, should we use Tick prevention? they wont be swiming.

BB