Boofy's Ongoing Cancer Battle.

~Anne~

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone. Your support is very comforting.

It's great to hear the experiences from others too who have gone through similar or the same procedures with their dogs.

Boof is booked for the 30th for the removal of the spleen and another X-ray of his lungs to ensure there is nothing else there. It was difficult it coordinate an earlier date due to various things so we have to keep him wrapped in cotton wool for a couple of weeks to ensure he doesn't have another bleed.

Edited by ~Anne~

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of you and Boof today. My girl continues to amaze everyone 18 months after her splenectomy for hemangiosarcoma. Still on chemo with no side effects except very occasional day off food or vomit!

Thanks everyone. I've booked the next two days off work so I can be there for his recovery.

I'm hoping I don't have to argue with my vet to bring him home tomorrow after the surgery. He had previously advised they keep them overnight, but as I explained to him, given there isn't anyone at the clinic after hours he is better off with me.

They just may feel he's best kept there to stay still and quiet. Getting in/out, in/out of the car, and the excitement of being home is not always in the dogs best interests, also he may require ongoing intravenous fluids and pain management. I'm sure they will only recommend what is best for Boof!

Enjoy your time off with him!

Thanks xyz.

I'm not new to dogs or even veterinary nursing though. I can competently manage fluids and keep him quiet. He's a sloth normally so I expect he'll be even more sloth like after his surgery to be honest. :laugh:

Aside from 24hr clinics, I've never left any of my dogs after surgery, only prior. I'm sure I can convince Pete he's arguing with the wrong woman. :)

The only real positive is my time off work with him. I still remember bringing this little munchkin home in the car from Singleton. It was a stinking hot day, the freeway was blocked up as it was the Australai Day weekend and our air con blew up in the car on the drive up! His breeders gave me a bag of ice for him to lay on and keep cool. He was such a cute little fella. He still is.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thank you everyone for your well wishes.

He's home now. He's in a little bit of pain and finding it hard to get comfy. I'll give him some more painkillers in a little while to see if that helps him.

The mass was much larger than expected apparently and was described as the size of a grapefruit. They think it is most likely another MCT. His X-rays were good except for an enlarged heart which they had already seen on a previous X-ray last year. As he shows no symptoms related to the heart they are not overly concerned but it isn't normal. They showed me the images and it is quite large.