Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
~Anne~

Boofy's Ongoing Cancer Battle.

257 posts in this topic

Guest Maeby Fünke   
Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry to hear about Boof... I hope the surgery goes well.

Both of Oscar's lumps were Mast Cell Tumours, but one disappeared! I'm starting to wonder if the pathology testing is even reliable/accurate... I'm taking him to see an Oncologist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bindo   

Thanks. I feel for him. He hates the Vet now and it stresses him so much. :(

It's so hard with Monte as well. They both need so much care at the moment. Olivia is playing up as I think she senses she is missing out. The other night, while we were out, she escaped the pen and got into the pantry! :eek: she managed to get her prescriptives kibble off the shelve, tore it open and ate a heap. I came home to 3 no 2s and a wet patch and a pug that could barely scratch herself she was so fat. She looked like a bloody sausage!

Poor Boof, hope it all goes well for him and that Monte is feeling better soon. Must admit, had to laugh at the thought of a sausage pug! :laugh: My first mini schnauzer was a bit porky as a pup and a friend used to call him a potato gem with legs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gwp4me   

All the best with Boof's operation. How lucky, he has you to fight so hard for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh poor Boof.

Ollie had a few surgeries, it goes with bloody MCT.. Once it is systemic chemo is your best bet.

Ollie's protocol was vinblastin and lomustein.

Week 1 vinblastin

Week 2 lomustein

Week 3 rest

Then do it all again for 6 months.

He had blood tests to check his WBC a couple of days before each chemo session. A few times it was to low to do chemo, so we had to wait a week and redo blood to make sure he was well enough to have chemo again.

Ollie also had more lumps but I chose to stop surgery and just do the chemo in the hope that it put him in remission, which it did. The tumours were still there but no reactive.

I am sure they have better protocols now. I know they had a lot of success with Palladia a few years back as well.

I am so sorry Anne but wish you both loads of good wishes and luck for a speedy recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks everyone.

Staffyluv, once we get confirmation I will also be in contact for the holistic vet in Sydney you gave me the details for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it worked for us - Ollie's quality of life was so much better than the vet and oncologist led us to believe it was going to be.

Good luck today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Boofy is home and bouncing around like crazy. He's recovered so quickly this time! His wound is very long. I'd guess at around 10cm long! They've taken both together as they were close together on his lower chest, towards his abdomen.

Now we wait for the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

missed this.. sorry. Glad the lad is home and healing. Glad you will be pursuing holistic treatment as well.. my Lucinda was treated by the same vets ( MCT grade 3 no clean margins) her prognosis was grim and i was advised to "take her home for a few days to say goodbye".. well with holistic assistance Lucinda lived a long and full life for another 5 years.... we had ups and downs but she remained queen of the maremma pack until the end....

H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bindo   

Fingers crossed for clear margins in the results Anne. Glad to hear Boof has recovered so well this time. Are you planning to follow up with an oncologist, once the results are in? As Staffyluv has said, there are new treatments these days specifically targeted for MCT, and for many dogs, minimal side effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

The results are in and are a mixed bag. Both were MCT however they were low grade and we got clear margins. The vet wants to start him on chemo this Friday.

He will commence on this regime (Staffyluv and others with experience, I'd love your thoughts if any);

Prednisolone daily.

Vinblastein (not sure of spelling yet) once a week for 4 weeks then once a fortnight for 8 weeks.

Edited by ~Anne~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like a realistic protocol

Olie was on vinblastin and lomustene

He had vinblastin one week, lomustene the next and the third week off

Then we did it all again

His took about 6 months but there were a few weeks when he couldn't have it because his blood cell count was out.

At the end he went on macrolone and was on that for a while, I would have to look it up.

Ol had MCT grade 2 no clear margins and multiple tumour sites. It was also detected in his lymph nodes.

Now that you have the results and the protocol if you want to use an holistic vet, it would be a food time to contact them so they can work out the best supplements to help keep him well.

Good news on the low grade and clear margins.. Happy dance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks. I have an appointment for a telephone consult tomorrow with Dr Goldrick from The holistic vet clinic you referred me to. I believe my vets faxed his history over today.

I've also spoken with my previous Vet, who I'd trust with my own life, and they've actually supported what the holistic vet said in our brief conversation this morning. They've both recommended a new drug, I can't recall the name at the moment, and they both said there are great results from this new drug. Although, I should add, my old Vet doesn't treat dogs with MCTs but refers them to an oncologist at SASH. We don't have an oncologist down the coast. I'll be giving my vet a call tomorrow to discuss the advice I've received so far. We're due to start treatment on Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is great news Anne..

My vet was more against it at first but then he saw how well Ollie was doing through it all and agreed that if that is what I wanted to spend my money on he would support it :)

Our oncologist was in Brisbane - Rob Straw (one of the best in the country IMO).

The only vet we actually saw, was our local vet (who did heaps of research when Ollie was dxd). Ollie wasn't his first case but it was the first one who opted to treat. The others just let it take its course. He used to send all our results to the oncologist and the holistic vet - I used to sit in on the oncologist telephone calls but dealt with the holistic vet myself.

Is the newer drug Palladia? There has been a lot of success with it for MCT. Sadly it was only in testing stages when Ollie was being treated.

Good luck Friday - it really isn't as bad as one would think.

They don't give dogs as much chemo as they give humans, so most don't tend to get sick and they don't lose all their fur.

Ollie had a few flat days (usually a couple of days after some of the treatments - he would just sleep in, not eat much, drink more and just seem flat).

The fur on his legs (where they used to shave it for the drip) didn't grow back for a while after the chemo finished - but he didn't 'lose' his fur at all.

I used to make him chook stock ice blocks and as a treat I used to buy lemonade icy poles on the days he was flat as a pick me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Yes, that's it, Palladia!

I'm not expecting too many issues with Boof going off his food. Pugs literally have to be dead before they lose their appetite. Still, Boof is a sensitive soul compared to many other pugs, and Monte and Olivia as well, so I will watch for any problems and remember your chook stock ice blocks!

Thanks for the support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy to help. Palladia has had really good results from everything I read about it when they were doing the testing.

It has been a long time since Ollie was treated now but I am more than happy to offer advice from our experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Anne~   

Thanks staffyluv. Treatment has been held over till probably Monday or Tuesday while Pete (vet) consults with an oncologist about the Paladia.

I've had the consult with the holistic vet and we are still working out his new herbs and things as well. I'm expecting an email over the weekend to sort it out and it should be dispatched by Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news about the holistic vet. They are really on the ball with that stuff (well they were when we used them).

Good luck for Monday then - I am sure it will be fine..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×