Boofy's Ongoing Cancer Battle.

~Anne~

He turned 10 in November. I'd love any knowledge you have on this. It is a new area to me and my research is turning up some scary stuff. At least if I understand all the different outcomes and options I can feel better about the choices I make in regards to treatment.

The guy doing the ultrasound yesterday said the growth was 4cm in diameter but the vet hits morning said it was around 3.5cm .

It seems if it's not removed regardless of it being benign or malignant there is a very high risk of bleed which I don't like the sound of.

It's FHRP that has the knowledge.... she went through Hemangiosarcoma with the wonder dog - I just got to witness the worry and decision making that she went through.

Flynn was 13? I think. The op was hard on him. There is no doubt that it bought him time but the vet's advice was that if it had progressed to a major organ, it was probably already present in others. That turned out to be the case.

I think a lot will depend on your assessment of how Boof will bounce back. No easy decision here :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anne, so sorry to hear of Boof's ill health.

My dog had his spleen removed with a large benign tumour at 12 yrs. We had kept an eye on the tumour with regular ultrasounds but it was growing quickly. He didn't have cancer in any other organs, or I would have reconsidered the surgery. The surgery went very well and the hardest part of his recovery was keeping him quiet :) I wish you the very best of luck with Boof.

Thanks Shcnauzer. I might pick your brains about it all a bit more after the next ultrasound which seems it ill be crunch time.

Happy to help anytime - give me a call. Prayers for Boof x

Thanks everyone.

I agree that there is no easy decision. The worst is not knowing what it is. He has another smaller lesion that hasn't changed in size in 8 weeks and another of his liver, which also hasn't changed. This latest one wasn't really expected.

The initial ultrasound was done after he had several grade 1 and grade 2 MCTs develop. Most in the last 6 -7 months. The vet wanted to ensure there was no spread. The first ultrasound showed 2 small lesions which the vet said could be anything and nothing. An oncologist advised that chemo for the MCTs was not going to prevent anymore growing, and given they were mostly low grade, it wasn't necessary so we took a wait and see and re-test approach. We are now 8 weeks further on.

It might be benign, it might be an MCT related growth or it might be a hemangiosarcoma. Unless we put him through invasive surgery, we won't know.

Sorry, I'm really just writing it all out to get it organised in my head. Fingers crossed for the next 8 weeks.

Just read the update - so sorry Anne. Poor Boof.

Writing it out does make it clearer (it used to for me).

I can't offer any advice on the spleen stuff, just wanted to send good wishes your way for the lad.

• 3 weeks later...

More bad news. I was just rubbing Boofy's belly and he has a large, golf sized swelling under his arm pit. I am no expert but I would think it is a lymph node. Given his MCTs, lesion on his spleen and now this I fear the worst.

It makes it hard too as I am due back in Sydney tomorrow and my husband will have to organise his visit to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Please let it be something simple.

Edited by ~Anne~

I just read up on the possible spread of his cancer and I think I should stop reading. I wish it wasn't Sunday afternoon.

Prayers and good thoughts for Boof - hopefully just a lipoma. XX

Edited by schnauzer

I just read up on the possible spread of his cancer and I think I should stop reading. I wish it wasn't Sunday afternoon.

Prayers and good thoughts for Boof - hopefully just a lipoma. XX

Thanks, I hope it is too. (PS I hope to call you later this week)

So glad the latest lump is a lipoma :D

It's FHRP that has the knowledge.... she went through Hemangiosarcoma with the wonder dog - I just got to witness the worry and decision making that she went through.

Flynn was 13? I think. The op was hard on him. There is no doubt that it bought him time but the vet's advice was that if it had progressed to a major organ, it was probably already present in others. That turned out to be the case.

I think a lot will depend on your assessment of how Boof will bounce back. No easy decision here :(

Flynn's case was not quite as HW describes. He did have diagnosed Haemangiosarcoma, in a different location. While deciding whether to submit him to a large rib re-section surgery he was x-rayed and ultrasounded and a lesion was found on his spleen. He had a spelenctomy at age 13 and his recovery was not as quick as would be in a young dog. Thankfully the lesion on his spleen was not cancer, but a haematoma, the op didn't buy him any time so to speak.

Personally if I had another dog in relative good health, even at an advanced age, and a lesion was found on the spleen with no other signs of cancer yet then I wouldn't hesitate to have a splenectomy done. However you have other things to consider, so it's not that straight forward.

So glad the latest lump is a lipoma :D

Flynn's case was not quite as HW describes. He did have diagnosed Haemangiosarcoma, in a different location. While deciding whether to submit him to a large rib re-section surgery he was x-rayed and ultrasounded and a lesion was found on his spleen. He had a spelenctomy at age 13 and his recovery was not as quick as would be in a young dog. Thankfully the lesion on his spleen was not cancer, but a haematoma, the op didn't buy him any time so to speak.

Personally if I had another dog in relative good health, even at an advanced age, and a lesion was found on the spleen with no other signs of cancer yet then I wouldn't hesitate to have a splenectomy done. However you have other things to consider, so it's not that straight forward.

Thanks FHRP. After his next ultrasound we will be making the decision. Apart from the MCTs he is in good shape I believe and is younger than your Flynn when he had it.

I guess that is why the vets hesitation too. The fact the we do t know what it is. My vet said that it can be common for older dogs to show lesions on the spleen that are harmless but due to his history and the fact we didn't notice this one with the first ultra sound it was a little concerning.

I'd hate to put him through surgery for no reason.

:happydance::dancingelephant::cheer:

It's a lipoma! So relieved!!!!

Great news :thumbsup: - now stop reading up on stuff..

I did the same thing and it can do your head in.. It takes a bit but you do get to the stage of just accepting they are getting lumpier and you love them and count your blessings each day they stay with you..