Boofy's Ongoing Cancer Battle.

~Anne~

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Boof has two more lumps that have come up. One on his back paw and one on his neck. I can't get him to the vet until next weekend. With all that is happening here at the moment it is hard to coordinate things. Hopefully they're both nothing to worry about. :(

Guest Maeby Fünke

Oh no Anne, I'm sorry to hear that. Sending Boof positive, healing thoughts and hoping that his new lumps are benign :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Boof is booked for surgery on Tuesday to remove another suspected MCT. A needle aspiration today showed grainy cells.

While he is there he will also have his third ultrasound to see if there are changes to the lesions on his spleen.

post-3413-0-82990500-1388882845_thumb.jpg

The results of the ultrasound are not good. The lesion on the spleen has grown and there has been a small bleed. Boof will undergo a splenectomy once the pathology results from the tumour are received. :(

The results of the ultrasound are not good. The lesion on the spleen has grown and there has been a small bleed. Boof will undergo a splenectomy once the pathology results from the tumour are received. :(

Anne, Monty's lesion grew as well but when they removed the spleen it was benign:) The hardest part was trying to keep him quiet after surgery. Wishing you the very best of luck.x

Thanks Glenda.

Keeping Boof quiet is pretty easy. He's a bit of a sloth. I'm hoping the latest MCT is low grade otherwise he will also be undergoing chemo. I'm yet to discuss in detail with the vet, what the expected outcomes will be. We have to keep him quiet for the meanwhile to prevent further bleeds.

When I have more info I will give you a call to get your experiences on the surgery if that is ok.

We have fabulous news on the path results. It was a benign growth called a trichoblastoma and harmless.

Boof is recovering well from his surgery. I feel awful putting him through so many surgeries. The alternative is worse though I think. It's really hard to look at it all objectively. He doesn't understand why I keep leaving him somewhere where he undergoes painful and stressful procedures. :(

Boof's regular vet is on holidays and returns next week. When he returns we will discuss what our next steps will be regarding his spleen.

It turns out the growth on his spleen is now over 8cm and has doubled in size. I should know the date of his operation after today. I need to coordinate a suitable date so I can take time off work to be with him.

Initially I had hoped we could just do chemo to shrink the tumour but I have been advised that the risk of a bleed will be too great. The spleen bleeds are apparently also painful and I don't want him in pain.

Edited by ~Anne~

Anne my heart breaks for you. That's a lot of surgeries and I know the guilt you feel leaving them at the vet. Casper had his spleen removed when his vet felt a lump during a routine check-up. It grew quickly (it was checked over 2 weeks) so the vet suggested removal. Admitedly Casper was only 9 at the time. He's had other surgeries for other lumps since, the last one was a month ago for anal lumps and he always recoves well...as they do!

Bella had a few surgeries for her haemangiosarcoma. She also had chemo which did make her very sick (after the second treatment) and she passed away soon after.

All I'm saying is, there is no right answer. Whatever you do, you will feel guilty one way or the other. It's just testament to your love for Boof. Good luck to you both.