Meals For Mutts Kangaroo And Lamb

goldenluv

Update time!

I just got a snarky PM from a member with zero posts who "feeds their dogs the product" (but certainly wouldn't be involved in the business, oh no- insert Mister Rolley Eyes Man here) demanding to know..

Pro business tip- ^ that is a terrible way to do business.

Me too :rofl: apparently it is the best food in Australia

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently I'm "not qualified" to comment. Oh dearies :laugh:

They did demand to know which pet food I manufactured though so presumably I am a bit qualified?

Actually, I have a confession- I did make the hellhound puppy some chicken jerky tonight for training treats. I'm yet to start selling shares of my business in training treats for my own dog but when I do, I'm going to become rich, the business plan is amazing-

Step one: Make chicken jerky

Step two: Feed it all to dog

Step three: ???

Step four: Profit.

They did demand to know which pet food I manufactured though so presumably I am a bit qualified?

Actually, I have a confession- I did make the hellhound puppy some chicken jerky tonight for training treats. I'm yet to start selling shares of my business in training treats for my own dog but when I do, I'm going to become rich, the business plan is amazing-

You forgot step 5 - send snarky emails to all DOl'ers who feed other brands :D

I was going to suggest perhaps that was step three!

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm feeding Vets All Natural Superior Choice rolls to Oscar now... He also gets chicken wings and lamb bones (on different days).

They have kangaroo and chicken in them. Apparently they're not cooked like the other rolls on the market; they're raw. I don't know what they do to them though to make them all compact and hard like a roll.

Nutritional Analysis on the pack:

Protein 15.9%

Fat 6.9%

Carbohydrate 9.6%

Fibre 0.3%

Ash 4.5%

What is Ash ??

eta

Ingredients list:

Kangaroo meat, liver, kidney, heart, chicken, mixed vegetables, rice, potato, parsley, barley grass, garlic, kelp, flaxseed oil, lecithin, vitamin C, A, calcium, copper, boron, manganese, phosphorous, selenium, zinc and sulphur.

I don't know what Boron is either.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Of course! That's Underpants Gnomes Economics 101 :p

What is Ash ??

Ash is a byproduct of production (from how meats are usually prepared for pet foods) and is added back in for the mineral content- phosphorous, calcium, etc.

Edit..

To explain that a bit better.. ash is basically what remains after incinerating a meat source down to its base minerals. Things like bones, once cooked, can't just be included as they are so they're cooked even further down, crushed and added back to the meat.

Personally, I'd rather just feed my dogs raw bones for the mineral content but ash isn't an ingredient to worry about.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Guest Maeby Fünke

Thanks guys, for the boron/ash info :)

I just got an email reply from the VAN people...

They sell a 1200g 'Health Roll', but you can't get it at the supermarket:

Thank you for your email. The Superior Choice roll is an 800g roll for the

supermarkets to meet a specific price point. It is the most premium roll

available in supermarkets.

If your dog likes this roll, we do offer our Health Roll which is 1200g

through the Pet stores such as Petstock, PetBarn, independents and Vets.

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/images/stories/Products/raw76.pdf

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Erk, skimmed through that and the first thing I noticed was the myth that wild canids eat stomach content first- despite researchers of wild canids pointing out that wolves actually shake out the stomach to remove contents prior to eating. Actively avoiding eating stomach content.

I have no issue with food manufacturers adding vegetables to bring cost of production down but it bothers me when they spread misinformation to justify using cheaper ingredients, instead of just being honest about the reason.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Erk, skimmed through that and the first thing I noticed was the myth that wild canids eat stomach content first- despite researchers of wild canids pointing out that wolves actually shake out the stomach to remove contents prior to eating. Actively avoiding eating stomach content.

I have no issue with food manufacturers adding vegetables to bring cost of production down but it bothers me when they spread misinformation to justify using cheaper ingredients, instead of just being honest about the reason.

That's interesting about the stomach-shaking thing. I've always wondered if there was a raw diet where people fed their dogs just raw meat and no vegetables. Is that what they call the Prey model?

I don't go for all the VAN grains hooey.

That's interesting about the stomach-shaking thing. I've always wondered if there was a raw diet where people fed their dogs just raw meat and no vegetables. Is that what they call the Prey model?

Yeah, that's prey model, more or less.

Personally, I don't believe vegetables are of any benefit to their health and that they've started to creep in to replace grains as fillers in a lot of foods. Potato might be a better filler than corn but neither are natural to a dog. Ziwipeak is the only food with an ingredient list that I would consider to be based on what's best for dogs, rather than what's best for someone's business- not that I feed that either though, I have access to fresh, high-quality pet meat (meat that is actually just meat, nothing at all added to it) so that's all I feed my dogs.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Yeah, that's prey model, more or less.

Personally, I don't believe vegetables are of any benefit to their health and that they've started to creep in to replace grains as fillers in a lot of foods. Potato might be a better filler than corn but neither are natural to a dog. Ziwipeak is the only food with an ingredient list that I would consider to be based on what's best for dogs, rather than what's best for someone's business- not that I feed that either though, I have access to fresh, high-quality pet meat (meat that is actually just meat, nothing at all added to it) so that's all I feed my dogs.

Me too. I have a free-range/organic butcher, but I live in the middle of nowhere and they often run out!

Ash is a byproduct of production (from how meats are usually prepared for pet foods) and is added back in for the mineral content- phosphorous, calcium, etc.

Edit..

To explain that a bit better.. ash is basically what remains after incinerating a meat source down to its base minerals. Things like bones, once cooked, can't just be included as they are so they're cooked even further down, crushed and added back to the meat.

Personally, I'd rather just feed my dogs raw bones for the mineral content but ash isn't an ingredient to worry about.

Just to clarify and get a tad more technical:) Ash is not actually added back into foods. Ash is what is left after the total food ( meat and anything else in the food)is completely incinerated, i.e. protein, fats and carbs are completely burnt away leaving only minerals, which include calcium, phosphorus, zinc, iron and many others. These minerals are the food's ash content, which is just a way of describing the mineral content of the pet food. The general accepted amount of ash in a high quality pet food is between 5 & 8% much higher and you have to ask how much bone is in the food compared to actual meat.

• 5 months later...

Any more comment on this product?

I can't really add any comments to the actual product, but for some reason, I find the Name a little off putting. I don't consider my dogs to be "mutts" & therefore deserve a little better :)

Edited because I probably need to start wearing glasses. 3 pages, not 1.

Ok my comment was still valid, just read through the other 2 pages lol.

Both meats are listed as fresh products instead of meat meal, which actually brings them even further down the list after the dehydration process.

Edited by Hockz

• 2 weeks later...

They do now have a grain free variety,but if the first ingrediends are a meat and not a meal I'm not sure if that's where all the protein is coming from..........

INGREDIENTS:

Duck & Turkey meat, sweet potato, red lentils, seasonal vegetables, peas, alfalfa, natural fats and oils, omega 3, 6 & 9, yeast, garlic, kelp, vitamins A, C, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, pantothenic acid, folacin, biotin and natural organic acids, plus minerals, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, copper, zinc, iron, manganese and iodine. Also contains Yucca shidigera extract and natural flavours, and is preserved using natural vitamin E and rosemary oil.

*Please note this food does not contain any sugar (as sucrose) and is free of dairy products.

(Dry Matter Basis)

•Crude Protein (min) 30%

•Crude Fat (min) 16%

•Ash (Typical) 5%

•Crude Fibre (max) 4%

•Moisture 10%

•Phosphorus (min) 1%

•Calcium (min) 2%

• 3 months later...

I'm currently feeding the new Duck version of the product, I must admit I would also like to know what the % of meat actually is!

All of my dogs are doing well on it, they're active, a good weight and my boy with sensitive skin hasn't had any issues since moving him onto it.

Of course the best coats I've ever had were from back in the day when I fed supercoat before the holistic foods came out!

• 3 weeks later...

They do now have a grain free variety,but if the first ingrediends are a meat and not a meal I'm not sure if that's where all the protein is coming from..........

INGREDIENTS:

Duck & Turkey meat, sweet potato, red lentils, seasonal vegetables, peas, alfalfa, natural fats and oils, omega 3, 6 & 9, yeast, garlic, kelp, vitamins A, C, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, pantothenic acid, folacin, biotin and natural organic acids, plus minerals, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, copper, zinc, iron, manganese and iodine. Also contains Yucca shidigera extract and natural flavours, and is preserved using natural vitamin E and rosemary oil.

thanks for letting us know about this new grain free one! have order a bag to try

just found out about Next Generation grain free too! have no idea what its like theo