Leaving Our Dog At The Kennels :-(

Hunny

We have to go overseas for a couple of weeks soon, and as our labby is a bit too full on for my parents to look after, we are going to leave her out the local kennels. She has been there before but just for a couple of days at a time. I do like the kennels, the people are nice and it's lovely and clean, with grass runs. But I just feel horrible leaving her for so long. Can someone tell me they have done this and survived please!! :-)

Edited by Hunny

My dogs have never been kennelled, with 4 of them now it'd cost more for their holiday than it would for mine!! :laugh: So we just get friends to look after them.

Last time my Mum's dog was kennelled (for 2 weeks when we all went overseas), he had such an awesome time that he didn't want to leave :)

I've left my cavalier at a kennel for a couple of weeks too when I went overseas. He came back to me stress-free and his usual excitable self.

I was nervous the first few days he was there but regularly checked up on him over the phone. If it's a good kennel everything will be fine! :thumbsup:

A month is considered short term with most kennels certainly for us,Providing the kennel allows plenty of outside exercise & human time it should adapt well & is weather friendly

Agree, when I first moved back to VIC, Kenny had to spend 7 weeks in a kennel, until I found us a home. The people who ran it were fantastic & gave him plenty of exercise & love.

Mind you, Kenny wouldn't talk to me for two days, because he was upset I left him so long, but he got over it. :laugh:

Thank you! I am feeling quite reassured. :-)

My last dog was always at 'Grandma and Grandad's when we had to go away but our young lab is just a tad too much of a handful still, and she does like the sound of her own voice as well. She get's to take her own toys to the kennel and in the past they put out extra water for her, on account of her liking to 'swim' in her water bowl too.

I think that owners generally find it harder to adapt and fret more than the dogs.

When you leave your dog, try not to fuss too much and be like a mother on a child's first day of kindergarten. Hard I know, but leave him the same way you would if you were going to pop down the shops for a few minutes. I make it a habit of saying 'back soon!' whenever I leave no matter if it is half an hour, a day, a weekend or a few weeks. More to get ME in the right frame of mind so that I don't stress the dogs with MY stress. I save any displays of my stress for when I am away from the dog :o .

Edited by espinay2

I know it is really hard to leave them. You may have seen my post about feedback on Vern Ryan's and Melbourne kennels - ooops they're now called 'pet resorts'! I left my three babies recently and I stress incredibly. Mama Moocher (aka Danny's Darling) reckons I stress 'too' much! But I've had bad experiences with a babysitter come to my home. Puppy, one of my kids, now reacts aggressively to any babysitter. So, I had to go the kennel route even though it was incredibly costly - and I still stressed. Researched all the kennels, got online to DOLF for feedback. Hassled Mama Moocher for her advice, etc - drove everyone mad.

I really do think my research paid off and also knowing the requirements of my babies (I gave them almost a novel about each of them and their routines - nothing to chance).

Mine came home happy and relaxed - no stresses and no annoyance with me. I'm definitely going down the kennel route next time because of this past experience. It was the best all around (and came home to a clean house - babysitters never leave it as clean as they get it).

Hopefully you will find, like me, that it is ok and our kids do cope! The biggest pressure now is on our bank balance. Good, reliable kennels aren't cheap! (as someone mentioned, almost the cost of a second holiday).

Let us know how it all goes.

ciao :)

Looking at it from the other side, a few weeks is pretty normal and not all that long.

A good kennel will look after your dog very well and they should be happy and relaxed when going home, yes you get the odd thousand mile an hour one, but they should still be happy.

Things like clam shells or similar in hot weather for those that like them I would think would be pretty common as would spending time with each dog.

Personally I love watching their individual personalities emerge. I have had a few that sit in the corner quite stressed and bark at you, but within a short time you can earn their trust and they settle really well. I am looking after a golden oldie at the moment and he has stressed me a little in the beginning but he is coping very well now and his fun bouncy personality is shining through.

Honestly withing a little as half an hours the dogs are settling ina dn finding their place in the scheme of things and quite happy, the odd one may take a little longer but I think the owners worry more than the dogs do.

Good, reliable kennels aren't cheap! (as someone mentioned, almost the cost of a second holiday).

The bold part is actually a sad reflection of how kennels operate east where everything is extra for what should be the basics of any animal boarded not added extras that one has to pay for .

Plenty of good kennels don't charge & arm & leg & don't charge for all the added extra's

Edited by showdog

[ Good, reliable kennels aren't cheap! (as someone mentioned, almost the cost of a second holiday).

The bold part is actually a sad reflection of how kennels operate east where everything is extra for what should be the basics of any animal boarded not added extras that one has to pay for .

Plenty of good kennels don't charge & arm & leg & don't cahrge for all the added extra's

I agree, I think my prices are very reasonable and love, extra care and attention are part of the package, not extras.

Tilly usually pulls so hard on the lead to get into the kennels that I can't hold her, she runs in, out the back into the grassy runs and sits there waiting :laugh: She is always happy when I pick her up to come home and I'm always pleased to see that she enjoys going there as well.

I worried about my Flash when I first put him in the kennel as he had only been a couple of months rescued from the pound and I was leaving him there with Tilly and Onslow for a few weeks. I was hoping that he didn't think he was being dumped again but he was happy and healthy when he came home.

So I'm sure your dog will be fine :)