Can You Report Dangerous Cats?

Horsegal98

I find it interesting that people are unsure of what to do in this case... if the cat is a menace, then please just report it, and keep reporting it until Council do something about it.

If it were a dog, I doubt this conversation would be happening...

T.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reported a cat that attacked my dog on leash in the street. He used to rush at dogs walking past. Bit a hole in my dogs ear resulting in a trip to the vet for antibiotics. Went to town hall and rangers took a full report and said they would write a letter warning owners to keep it contained. A cat can't be declared dangerous but I can be declared a nuisance in nsw. Seemed to work as cat was not seen stalking dog walkers after that! Hats off to council for taking it seriously mind you they did see the injuries in person

If it is a menace. Some councils also hire out cat traps. Place it somewhere where your neighbour cannot see it from the front yard (more to keep neighbourhood peace).

Place a foil tin of dine or simlar in the trap. When the cat enters it will spring close. Put the whole trap in the car and take to your local pound.

In QLD, it is a legal requirement that all cats are confined to the property 24/7 and must be registered with the local council. Cats are not allowed to roam - not even during the day.

You can report a menacing and or wandering cat.

Why tell them to take it to the pound! The cat is not a stray etc. it's home is well known. How would you like it if someone trapped one of your animals and took it to the pound - and then having to rely in the pound to scan it etc and hope they're not full and don't PTS before you find it??

If there is an issue then contact the Council and they will deal with it.

It is the responsibility of the cat owner to ensure their cat is confined to their property. If the cat owner was responsible, the cat would not be menacing the neighbourhood.

The person is quite within their legal right to take any wandering animal to the pound. If they contact the council and they come out... what do you think the council officer will do?? Leave it there and go "good kitty?"

Whether you like it or not, it is their legal right.

If it is a menace. Some councils also hire out cat traps. Place it somewhere where your neighbour cannot see it from the front yard (more to keep neighbourhood peace).

Place a foil tin of dine or simlar in the trap. When the cat enters it will spring close. Put the whole trap in the car and take to your local pound.

In QLD, it is a legal requirement that all cats are confined to the property 24/7 and must be registered with the local council. Cats are not allowed to roam - not even during the day.

You cannot just steal the cat because it is a menace. That is not the way to deal with this.

Maybe the people do not know or realise what the cat is doing. Cats don't just attack people normally so I would guess it has been traumatised in some way.

Has anyone ever actually spoke to the people about this ?

If not that seems the way to start or if everyone isn't brave enough or can't approach because of the cat a letter in their mailbox explaining the problem & that you all hope they will keep the cat indoors or accompany it if outside or you will have to contact the council. Give them a week to act & if they don't call the council & tell others to do the same. One call they may ignore, lots they won't.

Legally, if the cat is outside of personal property boundaries or within your property property boundaries, you are legally entitled to "seize" the cat to the pound (or vet). You are not stealing the animal at this point. If you then choose keep the animal, then yes it is stealing.

It is the same as for wandering dogs. You can "seize" an animal in the street/public footpath and take it to the local vet (who will call council for animal collection anyway), call council (who if they collect the animal will take it to the pound, or some welfare agencies such as Lost dogs home will take the animal to the pound as many welfare groups now run council pounds. (AWL - gold coast council pound & Ipswich pound. Lost Dog's Home for Brisbane pound).

Unfortunately too many cat owners do not care and often give the excuse "my cat is locked up at night". This is only up to 12 hours where the animal is not doing what comes naturally (hunting etc). Aside from crapping in people's gardens etc, there is also cat flu. Not everyone vaccinates their cat, and roaming or ferral cats can easily pass this on.

I have had my arm swell up by a cat scratch/bite when I was working in the pound assisting the vet. Other staff also have had similar incidents. When I worked at the pound, we did hire cat traps out to residents to trap nuisance and ferral cats. We very rarely had any cat traps stay in the office for more than a few hours. No sooner were they brought in, they were hired out again to someone else.

I agree with tdierikx, if it was a dog, there would be no hesitation on calling the council. Unfortunately for the two councils I have now worked in, they do not react the same way to a menacing cat as they do a menacing dog.

I reported a cat that attacked my dog on leash in the street. He used to rush at dogs walking past. Bit a hole in my dogs ear resulting in a trip to the vet for antibiotics. Went to town hall and rangers took a full report and said they would write a letter warning owners to keep it contained. A cat can't be declared dangerous but I can be declared a nuisance in nsw. Seemed to work as cat was not seen stalking dog walkers after that! Hats off to council for taking it seriously mind you they did see the injuries in person

This. The cat can't be declared dangerous but it can be declared a nuisance.

Why tell them to take it to the pound! The cat is not a stray etc. it's home is well known. How would you like it if someone trapped one of your animals and took it to the pound - and then having to rely in the pound to scan it etc and hope they're not full and don't PTS before you find it??

It is the responsibility of the cat owner to ensure their cat is confined to their property.

Not in NSW it isn't.

You cannot just steal the cat because it is a menace. That is not the way to deal with this.

Maybe the people do not know or realise what the cat is doing. Cats don't just attack people normally so I would guess it has been traumatised in some way.

If not that seems the way to start or if everyone isn't brave enough or can't approach because of the cat a letter in their mailbox explaining the problem & that you all hope they will keep the cat indoors or accompany it if outside or you will have to contact the council. Give them a week to act & if they don't call the council & tell others to do the same. One call they may ignore, lots they won't.

Legally, if the cat is outside of personal property boundaries or within your property property boundaries, you are legally entitled to "seize" the cat to the pound (or vet). You are not stealing the animal at this point. If you then choose keep the animal, then yes it is stealing.

No, not in NSW, where the OP is. The cat is allowed to wander.

HOWEVER this particular cat could be seized because of the attacking.

Section 32 of the Companion Animals Act:

32 Action to protect persons and animals against cats

(1) Any person may lawfully seize a cat if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other than vermin) from injury or death.

Given how dangerous cat bites can be it would have been reported along time ago ,

As for harassing by kids well that doesn't excuse its behavior whether it be dog or cat the same rules should apply.

Cat people get away with all sorts of things & think they have very right too.

It's sad and shameful that something's gotta/goin'ta happen to a cat or two or three before people will start doing something that keeps their cats out of harms way, so to speak.

Wish people would stand-up for and protect their animals first and foremost, rather than last and least.

Has anyone ever thought since the cat lives near a school maybe it has been terrorised by kids in the past?

Amazes me how many dog people think its ok to be cruel to cats. Do the right thing and call the council it's not the poor cats fault.

I hardly think the responses in this thread are motivated by a hatred of or desire to be cruel to cats. When people post about wandering aggressive dogs who have not been taken care of by the relevant authorities, the reaction is the same.

If you refer to the "flat cat" remark, while it's been clarified that it was a joke, who here wouldn't want an extremely dog/human aggressive dog whose owners do not care to contain or train it, who lived next to a school and whom the authorities ignore completely put down?

I feel that anyone who thinks that it should be given special consideration just because it's a cat and will potentially inflict less damage than a large dog is as bad as those who feel aggressive behaviours are acceptable in small dogs for the same reason. While I would highly recommend, for your own sake, dealing with it in a way that's within the law, I can definitely understand the frustration if it has been going on for a long time without intervention. There is no justifying that. :mad

I have been on the forums long enough to see nasty posts directed at cats by dog people. If the cat has been traumatised by kids in the past it's no wonder it is behaving this way, it is not common for cats to go out of their way to attack people so something isn't right.

No animal should be allowed to be a danger but how about considering it from the animals side of things but I guess that's too hard for some people.

Many aggressive dogs are also the result of trauma, as you suggest the cat may be, and I don't doubt that as a possibility. I do not blame domestic animals individually, as a species or breed for this kind of behaviour. It's incredibly unfortunate that this is usually the result of human error or cruelty.

However, if the animal will not be contained or protected from its triggers by its keeper and the authorities refuse to remove it from the street, what do you suggest be done about it? It would be nice if someone with your mindset was to remove it from the situation and pick up the slack where the owner refused, but that's still not within the law without their permission and if the OP's post is bang on the mark in it's description of the animal's behaviour, I wouldn't blame even the most sympathetic of animal lovers if they refused it. Again, I can appreciate the frustration in such a case.

Wanting to introduce a cat to the barrel end of a rifle if they sit on your doorstep all day, when you haven't even attempted all other reasonable solutions (and perhaps even if you have if it isn't otherwise causing havoc), is cruel and even bordering on insane. Wanting to see a dangerous animal (especially a difficult case) confiscated and, depending on the severity and extent of its issues, potentially destroyed, while extremely unfortunate, is not unreasonable in my opinion.

Perhaps the biggest issue here is the bias of the law in regards to declared dangerous animals. They clearly don't discriminate just by breed.

Edited by Ruin Maniac

When I was a kid there was a cat in my street just like,the one you describe. I was terrified of it everyone was. The thing would rush out and attack you and claw up your legs. It also attacked any dogs walking by. Cats that are like this don't respond to being kicked or slapped it just makes them worse, all you can do is run.

Hope the council can do something about this cat, they can inflict serious injuries,

This. The cat can't be declared dangerous but it can be declared a nuisance.

It is the responsibility of the cat owner to ensure their cat is confined to their property.

Not in NSW it isn't.

No, not in NSW, where the OP is. The cat is allowed to wander.

HOWEVER this particular cat could be seized because of the attacking.

Section 32 of the Companion Animals Act:

32 Action to protect persons and animals against cats

(1) Any person may lawfully seize a cat if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other than vermin) from injury or death.

You cannot allow your cat to wander into someone else's property, and it is perfectly acceptable and legal to hire a cat trap from the council to catch a cat that is on your own property .

However, from the sounds of the OP it seems as thought the cat is just sitting in front of its own house? If that is the case then you can't just put a trap wherever you want and catch it. As far as I am aware you are only allowed to trap cats on your own property.

Years ago when I was breeding Ragdoll cats .I had someone who wanted a Ragdoll as they had owned a Siamese cross and it had bitten the neighbour's kid - council told them they had to get rid of it and they had it PTS .No idea what their rights may have been if they had fought it thought as they just did as they were told. Aroud Liverpool in Sydney from memory.

Many aggressive dogs are also the result of trauma, as you suggest the cat may be, and I don't doubt that as a possibility. I do not blame domestic animals individually, as a species or breed for this kind of behaviour. It's incredibly unfortunate that this is usually the result of human error.

However, if the animal will not be contained or protected from its triggers by its keeper and the authorities refuse to remove it from the street, what do you suggest be done about it? It would be nice if someone with your mindset was to remove it from the situation and pick up the slack where the owner refused, but that's still not within the law without their permission and if the OP's post is bang on the mark in it's description of the animal's behaviour, I wouldn't blame even the most sympathetic of animal lovers if they refused it. Again, I can appreciate the frustration in such a case.

Wanting to introduce a cat to the barrel end of a rifle if they sit on your doorstep all day, when you haven't even attempted all other reasonable solutions (and perhaps even if you have if it isn't otherwise causing havoc), is cruel and even bordering on insane. Wanting to see a dangerous animal (especially a difficult case) confiscated and, depending on the severity and extent of its issues, potentially destroyed, while extremely unfortunate, is not unreasonable in my opinion.

Perhaps the biggest issue here is the bias of the law in regards to declared dangerous animals. They clearly don't discriminate just by breed.

Agree. I don't see anyone discriminating between species, if ANY animal, dog, cat, ferret, whatever, jumped out and attacked me, I would kick it. Then run very fast.

On a related issue, two cops were bitten & scratched by a cat they were trying to rescue from the Westgate Bridge in Melbourne, both cops needed hospital treatment. Must have been one uber feral cat. :laugh:

Don't know how the cat got on the bridge, I suspect it was dumped, nor do I know what happened to the cat, is going to be on the news tonight.

Yikes. Sounds painful!

Honestly, there are as many (if not a few more, since so many people think it's perfectly okay to let them wander) issues with the average cat owner as there are with the average dog owner. It bothers me a lot that so many of them get hurt because people are too lazy to contain or entertain them. The misconception that the animals are completely independent is also a problem. It wouldn't surprise me if the cat wasn't dumped, but was let out roaming and presumed to be on an extended vacation if it hadn't been back for a while. Does my head in to think that someone could be so careless with a life they chose to take guardianship of :confused:

Again, this case is just unfortunate for everyone. Shame on the owners for not keeping it indoors so that both the animals and passer-bys could be safe. :mad

When I was a kid there was a cat in my street just like,the one you describe. I was terrified of it everyone was. The thing would rush out and attack you and claw up your legs. It also attacked any dogs walking by. Cats that are like this don't respond to being kicked or slapped it just makes them worse, all you can do is run.

Hope the council can do something about this cat, they can inflict serious injuries,

Yes this is quite a large cat, though it may look bigger than it is as it has a really thick Persian type coat. It makes horrible yowling noises and comes out at you just for walking past-- people cross the road to avoid it. I don't know either of the neighbours on the other side, I wonder if they have problem with its territorialism.