4 Week Old Pups Dying Vet Can't Find Cause

the mother was in very bad health when she arrived and the same day she gave birth was at the vet for a major uterine infection and went onto antibiotics for 2 weeks to fight it she was one sick girl but the pups still did well and gained weight meet and past all milestones.

We are on town water her not tank.

We know it wasn't an infection as temp was normal.

so the mother was wormed with Sentinal (while preg) she did have worms (on vet advise was also wormed with drontal all wormer) and had antibiotics within the pups first week of life.

I'm still not convinced it was fadding puppy. :banghead:

I dont think it was fading puppies either.

Usually it affects younger puppies, and they 'fade', ie get weaker visibly over at least 12 - 24 hours.

I have and bitches on ABs with puppies and the puppies have been okay.

The worming sequence, as I understand :) :

Mother of puppies was wormed before birth (how soon before birth?)

The mother was wormed again within one week after birth,

the puppies then received more wormer again approximately one week later,

and then the puppies received more wormer two weeks later (4 weeks old).

Puppies started dying.

Did the vet rule our canine herpes virus?

Edited by lilli

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing happened to a friend who had a litter of boxer pups.

They lost the whole litter and on autopsy the vet couldn't give a reason just that they haemorrhaged internally..

Needless to say they never bred from either parent again.

yes looked for worms under microscope No sign of any.

No sign of any infection found during Autopsy.

The autopsy report cause unknown.

I asked if we did ultra sounds on the 3 remaining pups would we be able to see if the lining was thin in them also according to the vet NO maybe at 6 months.

so still no closer to a reason for our rescue pups being dead. The 3 reamining pups are healthy and happy (but then so were the 2 girls that died)

thanks for all you ideas.

The lining being thin is a symptom of the oxygen being cut off as is seen in bloat which is why Im asking about what you are doing with weaning . MUP how would the puppies be checked for immunity? Immunity to what ?

It won't be much blood. But maybe you're right.

No you're right they could take blood and check vitamin and mineral levels , platelets etc and may help to prevent whatever it may have been if som,ething showed up or at least give a diagnosis I just didnt understand what you meant when you were saying it the way you were but surely that is part of the autopsy and the blood work would be done for the dead pups ??????

Im so sorry this has happened - completely heart breaking.

No temperature ,no runny poos, no worms , no vomiting, thin stomach tissue .Within a day or each other ?

So they are 4 weeks old - have you started to wean them.If so how are you weaning them ? How much food, what type of food how often etc?

There are some congential conditions that do not show up until puppies are started to be weaned. The pups can process and digest the mothers milk but as soon as you introduce solids, they deteriorate rapidly.

A few years back, my dog had 5 puppies but 1 died a few hours after birth because the mom accidentally stepped on her. The other three pups died with an interval of a day and then a week. I was told that they probably got poisoned as they were last seen by our visiting friends eating off the stuff we left off to kill mice running around the house. However, when we found them lying around the yard dead, we didn't really think of getting them autopsied. It was heartbreaking as it is anyway.

A few years back, my dog had 5 puppies but 1 died a few hours after birth because the mom accidentally stepped on her. The other three pups died with an interval of a day and then a week. I was told that they probably got poisoned as they were last seen by our visiting friends eating off the stuff we left off to kill mice running around the house. However, when we found them lying around the yard dead, we didn't really think of getting them autopsied. It was heartbreaking as it is anyway.

Please do not breed again!!!

Now there's a really smart post to put up on a dog forum... *slaps forehead*

... especially as you are running all over the place dispensing your "experienced opinion"...

T.

eek1.gif

:eek: no words :cry:

:eek: no words :cry:

+1 :cry:

just when u think u have read it all :confused:

Sorry to hear about your pups. There are thousands of things it could have been.

I would be asking the vet to do a fecal swab for worms, particularly hookworms, on the remaining pups. I might get the mother swabbed too.

I would also worm with something which kills hookworm. Do you still need to dose with Troy 2 days running? Drontal puppy kills hookworm.