Favourite Dog Colour?

Horsegal98

Depends on the breed.

In Aussies I just adore red merles. In a line up of them I am always drawn to look at the red merle first. Funny because I suspset Holly will be my last red merle for some time! I think all four base colours are gorgeous in Aussies though. I think deep, true blacks with bright whites would be my second favourite. I would love a black bi colour Aussie one day, but that's unlikely.

In the Irish Terriers I love the deep rich reds without a hint of black shading at all, with dark eyes and pigment. I hate the black shading that is creeping into some Irish coats.

In Lappies I have always loved the creams but I am being converted to the darkies thanks to Finnesse's two stunning dark lappies. :love:

I love red and white Bull Terriers, black tri or black bi Shelties and blue merle and black tri Collie Roughs and Smooths.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally I like tan/blonde dogs but sometimes it depends on the breed.

Labs- I like the very pale almost white colour, or deep fox red. A fit field bred, black lab is also stunning as well.

GRs- Again I like either very pale or very dark shades of gold

GSD- I love the look of black (short coat) GSDs

Aussie Shepherds- Red Tri

GSP- solid liver

Kelpies-brown/red and tan

In Dallies I like both liver and black spotted - pigmentation (especially around the eyes and nose) and quality of the white base are more important. I do prefer moderately spotted dogs and have trouble seeing past it!

ESS - probably prefer a liver or black to a tri but wouldn't knock back the latter if it was the right dog. A good amount of white makes them easier to see in heavy cover and I'm a sucker for head markings - they don't have to be even, just pleasing to the eye. I love Em's off centre squiggle on her muzzle - it gives her a real quizzical look.

I'm not sure what the colour is called (black? blue?) but I just love Sway's dark Danes :love:

I like Golden Retrievers that are dark. Black labs - which is probably bias due to the American working lines I've spent time with.

Aussies - I am hopeless but whatever colour Leopuppy04's Kinta is. I still love Leo though - he could be pink with purple stripes for all I care :heart:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I don't think I have an absolute favourite - depends on the dog. I have a "lilac " girl and a cream boy. I have always thought lilac was a bit of a poncy term but it is what she is officially. We are a bit spoilt for colours as my breed of choice has loads to choose from. I am sad however that flowered Shar Pei are now excluded from the standard,so you don't get to see many and I do love flowereds.

Aussies - I am hopeless but whatever colour Leopuppy04's Kinta is. I still love Leo though - he could be pink with purple stripes for all I care :heart:

LP's Kinta is a black tri! :) Such a pretty girl!

Thank you!!!! Yes, her black markings were the first thing I thought of. I just think she is a stunner - and takes life very seriously :laugh:

I love unusual, and often non-show standard, colours.

The only colour I'd never buy is pure, solid white. I especially dislike lightly marked harlequin Danes, with only a blotch or two of light fawn, pink noses and washed out eyes. Not for me.

Reds and blues in any breed are my favourites, unusual and unique markings, heavily marked dapples or harlequins, or bi-colour eyes.

I like different :)