Another Joint Supplement: Rose-hip Vital Canine

ness

Just bumping this to ask a question re dosage.

My girl is 15 kgs. How many capsules or powder would she need?

It seems like a lot of capsules are needed while the powder seems a little more economical depending on the dosage

TIA

Here is the dosage instructions -

2 scoops a day for the first three weeks (loading dose) and then 1 scoop a day ongoing for dogs less than 15kg, 4 scoops a day loading and then 2 scoops ongoing for dogs between 15 and 30kg and 6 scoops a day loading followed by 3 scoops ongoing for dogs heavier than 30kg.

Not sure on the capsules. The most economical way would be to purchase a 500gm tub the smaller tubs don't last a medium size dog very long. I think you would be safe with using the dogs less then 15kg dose. Thats what I had my 14kg BC on until we started messing with dosage to try and cut out her NSAID usage that she needs.

Edited by ness

Hope you have some success with the product CavsRcute. I have both mine on it now. Ness has been on it for just over a fortnight and Kenz of course has been on it for over 3 months now :thumbsup:.

The larger tub has a RRP of $130 but as with anything it can be worth shopping around online to find a bargain. I have seen it going for less then that at some of the usual online suppliers for stuff.

Edited by ness

Does anyone know how this product differs from crushed rosehips that can be bought at a stockfeed place?? Other than being further processed obviously :o

Has anyone been supplementing with rosehips for a while with good results??

Somebody posted that question on FB Lab_Rat and this was the response:

"Rosehip granules are very different to Rose-Hip Vital powder. Rose-Hip Vital (RHV) powder is standardised and clinically proven to be a powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and rich source of natural Vitamin C. RHV powder is made from carefully selected berries which are farmed in Denmark and go through a patented manufacturing process which isolates a patented compound called GOPO. It's the GOPO within RHV which has anti-inflammatory properties and is the subject of more than 30 scientific studies including 6 clinical trials on people, horses and dogs. RHV powder is bright orange with a fresh look and smell. The patented drying process ensures RHV powder still has all the precious vitamins and minerals found in the Rosehip berries. Since all known studies on Rosehip powder are on the standardised Rosehip powder from Denmark (RHV), no other Rosehip product can claim the medicinal benefits that RHV does. RHV for humans is listed with the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) and Rose-Hip Vital Canine is registered by the APVMA (Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority). It’s the first natural product registered by the APVMA since new guidelines for the registration of Complementary Herbal Remedies were introduced in 2009. Basically RHV powder is much higher impact than Rosehip granules."

My experience from having had Kenz on the product for 3 months is that she was just as good on the RHVC alone as she seems to be on the RHVC + carprofen + tramadol combination.

Thanks Ness :) I wonder how normal old garden variety Rosehip granules are processed!

I thought maybe the RHV may have been processed alot differently....maybe not!

Ive been trying to decide whether to try RHV myself, so may well do and see how it goes.

Kenz is still on the product (among other things) for the minute. And as best I can work out its suppose to be instead of things like Glyde although it can also be used in conjunction with any of the others. I do still give fish oil and have had it suggested by the people who sell the RHVC that its worth using in conjunction with fish oil.

Kenz's situation is however a little complicated so I am not surprised its not working 100% for her.

Ness...do you give Kenzie vitamin E as well as the fish oil? there is an old thread here that suggests it may be a good idea.

I'll try to find it

I searched and couldn't find.

If I remember correctly the dog had very bad rheumatism symptoms and it was found that the diet, which contained fish oil, should have been supplemented with vitamin E. When the owner did add E to the diet the symptoms disappeared very quickly.

Edited by Boronia

Kenz gets a fish oil capsule which contains vitamin E as well.

okey dokey...there goes that theory :)

blast...I was clutching at straws and hoping it may have made a little improvement if you were not giving her Vit E.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah there is no contraindications so you could give it with glyde. Not sure on dosage. I do still give my old girl joint guard in addition to the RHVC (mostly because I still have a container left) and she is getting the normal dose of both products.

You can always start adding the RHVC and keep the glyde at the level you are presently then reduce the glyde if you think you want to switch totally. Or keep on the full dose of glyde and just add the maintenance dose of the RHVC.

Thats probably what I would do if I wasn't sure. When I started my young girl on the product I did switch her straight onto the RHVC exclusively because I wanted to see how good the product was and didn't feel it was a good test of the product if I kept up the other.

Ness I don't know how much you are paying for it but I am about to start stocking it so get it from a wholesaler, if I can give you a better price I am happy to if it helps Kenz. I get my first shipment early next week