Another Joint Supplement: Rose-hip Vital Canine

ness

Hi Yes you can use the capsules, but why would you?

As I explained in my initial query, I often don't feed food that can have power easily added to it and as a consequence I find I forget to give powders regularly. The dog I am considering it for is extremely easy to give tablets/capsules too, however I'd still not do it if it was 15-20 daily (although 5 seems more likely). Personally I'd prefer to get all the powder joint products as a capsule.

You can buy empty capsules.

I reckon 5 capsules would be a pain to give to a dog though. I've adjusted Poppy's night meal to softer stuff so I can give her powders.

After seeing Kenz's results I am going to try this for my 15 1/2 year old whippet who is sore in the shoulders, I have got her on Pearnaise at the moment, after trying Joint Guard, which didn't help at all.

She has been having cartrophen injections 3 monthly, but that doesn't seem to be helping at all.

I have had her to Matthew Condon, who used a tens machine on her, and that helped marginally.

But I am having trouble trying to get it in Adelaide, it seems to be on order by Petstock and chemists but not in stock. :(

The powder for humans has the maintenance dose as 1 scoop per day and the capsules are 5 capsules a day. I also checked with the company and they confirmed the powder for humans is pretty much the same stuff as the canine one and that 5 capsules was equal to 1 scoop of either powder. I was using capsules for a while and opening them to sprinkle on the dog's food, because they were cheaper. I bought a 500 gm canine powder tub yesterday though at the BC Fun Day as it was on special and that will last Angus for a few months now.

Here is an interesting weight & price observation:

Each human capsule is 500 mg. The bottle has 250 capsules. That's 125g in the total bottle? And it's at $34.70

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=54814&pname=Rose-Hip+Vital+250+Capsules

The human powder bottle has the same weight, 125g at $40.

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=60332&pname=Rose-Hip+Vital%99+125g+Powder

So, if the total weight for both capsules and powder are the same, I'm not sure why the powder is slightly more expensive. I would thought the work to store them as capsule would cost more.

Anyway, I was hoping the human versions were cheaper than the canine...but the powder version for the canine is waaaay cheaper for 500g bottle at $110

http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/ROSE-HIP-VITAL-CANINE-500G-p-20332

Even if you get the canine 150g bottle at $43, it's still slightly cheaper than the human one.

This is an interesting revelation. Usually the human equivalent drugs are waaay cheaper. Not sure if the Rose Hip canine is of sub standard or they lack the GOPO process that they market so much under the human brands. Does the Canine version has the GOPO thingy?

Edited by Jess the Lab

Trisham - behluka mentioned a few pages back that they were going to start stocking it in the next week or so. Given that was a little while ago you might find they stock it now.

Otherwise order online - I think Omar's Vet Clinic had a reasonable price for it - http://ovedshorseandpetstore.com.au/

Jess the Lab - the only difference between the human product and the dog product is the human product is finer. Presuming extra processing is required to make it finer and therefore the reason why its more expensive.

Edited by ness

In answer to Jess the Labs question I have been informed:

GOPO is the registered name for the patented compound which is activated by the patented drying process used to manufacture the powder. The canine powder has the same GOPO content as the human product, it's just that the APMVA were very strict and would not allow the company to use the word GOPO on the canine product packaging.

Edited by ness

After a week of anti-inflams & a course of anti-biots, my girl seems to have got over her lameness in her front leg :crossfingers: I was wondering if rose hip could be given to a dog like mine, as a preventative, because the activities she is involved in could make her prone to lameness. I thought I read a while back, that too much vitamin C could cause more harm than good :confused: but can't find the article.

I don't see why it couldn't sheena. Its also suppose to support general health and wellbeing.

Just for anybody in Adelaide who is looking to buy the product the Petbarn at Mile End did have the smaller containers of RHVC in stock. We happened to call in today to stock up on treats and I noticed they did have some.

Edited by ness

Ness who is just on 16.5 kgs is on 2 scoops a day maintenance dose but she is older so I have her on more. Kenz is also on more as well for her size.

And fingers crossed it helps your girl Trishm :thumbsup:.

Edited by ness

Good price for $109.95. I've got that the same price but I've gotta walk to the shop to collect in order to discount the delivery charges.

Mine is on a shocking 6 scoops for a fat 37kg dog for the initial weeks of dosage. Maybe when she's on the maintenance mode, our family budget would be mentally more controlled.

Edited by Jess the Lab

Good price for $109.95. I've got that the same price but I've gotta walk to the shop to collect in order to discount the delivery charges.

Mine is on a shocking 6 scoops for a fat 37kg dog for the initial weeks of dosage. Maybe when she's on the maintenance mode, our family budget would be mentally more controlled.

:idea: get your dog to walk to the shop to buy it & she may lose some weight, then you wont have to give so much :)

Losing some weight would have to be better for her joints too, I would imagine.

:idea: get your dog to walk to the shop to buy it & she may lose some weight, then you wont have to give so much :)

In the summer, someone commended my dog and said she was the thinnest Labrador they have ever seen. I was happy with the praise, and then I decided to add an inch more to her food and whamm! it was out of control again. She gets fat quickily & easily!

You're right. The thinner it's the less problem they get on her legs. She's on a diet now (again).

In the summer, someone commended my dog and said she was the thinnest Labrador they have ever seen. I was happy with the praise, and then I decided to add an inch more to her food and whamm! it was out of control again. She gets fat quickily & easily!

You're right. The thinner it's the less problem they get on her legs. She's on a diet now (again).

Just because she is the thinnest lab that person has ever seen doesn't mean very much. People seem to think that they should be fat, because that is what the breed is :(

FWIW, this is how I believe a Lab should look. Lean, muscular, athletic, and minimal stress on joints.

dsc22000320.jpg

• Like 1

I can be frank with you my dog were never this thin. The picture looks like an abandoned stray in Asian countries! That dog must have gotten a lot of attention in western and fat-driven labrador countries like Australia.

You're still right that the leg problem will be minimised with such weight.

It just dawn upon me if I halved her foot I'll save halve my money and even more by not purchasing the Rose-Hip. Why didn't I think of htis a decade ago?! Geee, I better do it right now.

This is disgusting

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/07095248-fattest-dog-country-lardy-80kg-labrador-tips-scales-same-weight-manchester-uniteds-

Edited by Jess the Lab

My daughter had a lab x border collie. She was more of a lab in structure but had the colour of a BC. My daughter couldn't resist those "give me more" Lab eyes & as a result she weighed 30 kilos at her last visit to the vet & the vet said she had to lose at least 3 kilos. Within a month she was dead of a probable heart attack, just before her fourth birthday. :(

ETA... I think the weight for a Lab is about 30 kilos, so your dog is probably about 7 kilos overweight. Due to the fact that Labs are prone to hip & elbow problems, I would be tending to err on the lighter side if it were me. :)

Edited by sheena

We're trying RHCV on our old girl - who is nearly 14 and riddled with arthritis.

I must say that the RHCV people are vey generous. They had a stall at the Border Collie Fun Day and were selling the product at a reduced price. Plus they donated money from each sale to the Border Collie Cancer Research Fund!