Another Joint Supplement: Rose-hip Vital Canine

ness

Great price for it Trishm. Although the postage to my place was going to be $15 something so not much difference in the long run to natural pet store who have it for free postage. I had never heard of vet stop though so one to add to the long list of places to check for things :)

Thought i'd update on how my old golden girl is going on the RHV. She definitely has more 'spark' ... a friend who hasn't seen her in 6 months says she looks younger. Definitely more energy and able to walk faster. She has even tried to run a few times :) . I'm hoping to decrease some of the other supplements she's on!

• 2 weeks later...

A question for those using it. Did/do you keep your dog on the other glucosomine type supplements as well. I have just started my Rottwieiler on it an wasn't sure whether to keep this up as well. Her food bowl looks like a pharmacy now! I would think I should keep it up during the loading dose period, what are others doing?

One I went completely cold on and swapped completely the other was kept on a combination of both as I had stuff left to use up. It certainly won't hurt doing so (well anything other than the $$$ for doing so).

A question for those using it. Did/do you keep your dog on the other glucosomine type supplements as well. I have just started my Rottwieiler on it an wasn't sure whether to keep this up as well. Her food bowl looks like a pharmacy now! I would think I should keep it up during the loading dose period, what are others doing?

Maybe try without the othert stuff so you know exactly if improvements are there with this Rose thing.

Glucosamine however promotes re-growth of torn joints or stretched ligamens. I don't think Rose Hip is doing that functionaliy.

Somebody posted this question on the RHVC FB page and the advice was continue to use both while putting the dog through the loading dose of the RHVC then once the dog is back on the maintenance dose then gradually reduce the dosage of the other supplements if you wish to.

Maybe also ask Steve? My understanding is that if you supplement with vit c for a while then you need to give it to a dog for life. This is because, unlike humans, dogs produce their own vit c. When you supplement this production stops.

Maybe also ask Steve? My understanding is that if you supplement with vit c for a while then you need to give it to a dog for life. This is because, unlike humans, dogs produce their own vit c. When you supplement this production stops.

AARRRRHHH! I suspected this before. I really don't want to give this Rose Hip for the life of the dog who had a cruciate ligamen re-cosntructed. It's supposed to bring relief, re-growth and over and done with. Not a constant maintenance. Supplements is not supposed to behave like a drugs where one will be 'addicted'.

No wonder Rose Hip is advertsing on TV.

In a dog who has had major ortho surgery I am not sure why you wouldn't want to give some sort of supplement for life. I don't think most people who start dogs on any form of supplement do so for a short term.

Supplements are never a short term addition to a diet unless your supplementing because the dog (or human) is low in something as a booster.

I think it needs to be made more clear though ness. Humans can easily stop long term vitamin C supplements with no ill effects (because we don't produce any on our own) but dogs are different and many people don't know that.

For a short term I think they are okay though - best to clarify with Steve.

Have you got access to any literature re the vitamin c comment megan_ - curious to have a read.

Just for the record I googled some of the other joint supplements and things like joint guard also contain vitamin C.

Edited by ness

Thanks megan_. I have also emailed the company to ask the question - given the extensive testing that was done as a prerequisite to receiving registration I might have thought that was something that was considered.

Edited by ness

I think it needs to be made more clear though ness. Humans can easily stop long term vitamin C supplements with no ill effects (because we don't produce any on our own) but dogs are different and many people don't know that.

For a short term I think they are okay though - best to clarify with Steve.

This was the question I was asking a few pages ago. Maybe the answer lies in when you want to take your dog off Vit. C, do so very gradually & then maybe the dog will start to produce it themselves. :confused:

Sorry Sheena I missed that comment of yours previously - would be interesting to find an answer. I have been searching but can't find anything evidence wise to back up the statement which seems to appear on some pages and not on others (although I don't think the sites were 100% reputable from a scientific perspective).

Mr R & NR - yep that sounds sensible to me - this is the clarification I got provided with in relation to your question. I guess I didn't expand on the reasoning when I responded and this is the expanded reasoning:

Since it usually takes about 3 weeks before the benefits of RHVC will be noticed, and because RHVC can be taken in conjunction with any other medication (no known contra-indications), the recommendation would be to add RHVC to the existing joint management regime and then after three weeks begin to reduce other medication and supplements. One could stop other treatments at the same time as introducing RHVC, however, there is a risk that the dog's condition may deteriorate before improving as RHVC needs time to start working.

I started my girl on the maintenance dose about a week ago & she has had loose poos ever since....I guess this is normal :confused: Would like to know the answer to the Vit. C querie too, if someone comes up with it. :)