Another Joint Supplement: Rose-hip Vital Canine

ness

Good price for $109.95. I've got that the same price but I've gotta walk to the shop to collect in order to discount the delivery charges.

Mine is on a shocking 6 scoops for a fat 37kg dog for the initial weeks of dosage. Maybe when she's on the maintenance mode, our family budget would be mentally more controlled.

:idea: get your dog to walk to the shop to buy it & she may lose some weight, then you wont have to give so much :)

Losing some weight would have to be better for her joints too, I would imagine.

In the summer, someone commended my dog and said she was the thinnest Labrador they have ever seen. I was happy with the praise, and then I decided to add an inch more to her food and whamm! it was out of control again. She gets fat quickily & easily!

You're right. The thinner it's the less problem they get on her legs. She's on a diet now (again).

Just because she is the thinnest lab that person has ever seen doesn't mean very much. People seem to think that they should be fat, because that is what the breed is :(

FWIW, this is how I believe a Lab should look. Lean, muscular, athletic, and minimal stress on joints.

dsc22000320.jpg

I dont think I have ever seen a lab that skinny before. The lab looks great

Sheena - not sure about the loose poos my super sensitive girl had no issue with it and my other one didn't have a problem either.

The vitamin C debate is a bit of a tricky one.

This is what i was given based on the question posed:

As far as the RHVC is concerned there is no research which supports the idea that a dog that doesn't have Arthritic changes will become dependent on RHVC. The vitamin C and antioxidant content provides support to the immune which helps the immune system discourage the attack on joints as well as providing a wide range of other health benefits.

As I already mentioned, given the presence of vitamin C isn't exclusive to the RHVC supplement as I found it in at least one other commonly prescribed brand of joint based product which has been around for years (and honestly I didn't look into the others just the ones I have used) I personally wouldn't be worried about using RHVC over any other joint product if they all have a similar issue. However I guess as I already mentioned I am unlikely to put a dog on a supplement for arthritis or joint supplement as a short term treatment.

Edited by ness

Thanks again Ness for your response, very helpful. I agree with you view on the vit c. Not likely to be taking her off any supplements that contain it either.

No loose poos here either. I know vit C can have that effect, I think the idea is you lower the dose for a couple of days an then build up slowly. That is if you know that this is the cause.

No problems - always happy to follow up on any questions :). I have certainly tried a number of the available products and to date this appears to be the best suited for both my girls with their varying conditions and ages.

Edited by ness

I've done a bit of Googling...probably the same as others here, :) but what I have come up with, is that dogs do make their own Vit. C, so nutritionist say that Vit. C suppliments are unnecesary, but may be of assistance for young, old, ill or dogs under stress including stress from physical activities (which would be mine). Also it can cause loose stools, & if so, cut the amount right back & slowly increase the amount of suppliment. I couldn't find anywhere that said that giving Vit C suppliments to dogs causes them to stop producing it themselves. If they have too much they simply expel it in their urine along with Vit B. So I have cut Bindi's back by at least a half & see how she goes.

I started my dog on Rose hip vital a couple of weeks ago and within a few days he lay on the floor with both legs behind him (frog style) and he hasn't done this for years. He only did it once that I've seen, but I thought it was very interesting. Since then he has been a lot more active and has been running through the house having fun, which he wasn't doing before. So it really does seem to be working.

I started my dog on Rose hip vital a couple of weeks ago and within a few days he lay on the floor with both legs behind him (frog style) and he hasn't done this for years. He only did it once that I've seen, but I thought it was very interesting. Since then he has been a lot more active and has been running through the house having fun, which he wasn't doing before. So it really does seem to be working.

Sounds like another great testimony.

By any chance if you can share the breed, the weight and why did your dog needed help (was it surgey/accident/old/)?

My fat 10 year old lab is a bit hard to put my finger on. After 3 weeks of start up and a few days of maintenance, I'm still not sure it's improving but one thing for sure, it's not getting worse.

I think you'd want to be careful before supplementing vitamin C in dogs..

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.petmd.com%2Fblogs%2Fthedailyvet%2Fktudor%2F2012%2Fsept%2Fvitamin_c_and_calcium_oxalate_stones%23.UZjJ174iPX4&h=PAQGZhRbf

I have read more than once in dogs (and humans) that you need to supplement vitamin E if you're feeding lots of fish oil - because that depletes vitamin E...

Not sure if that applies to other supplements that are supposed to help with joint recovery and rehab.

I think you'd want to be careful before supplementing vitamin C in dogs..

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.petmd.com%2Fblogs%2Fthedailyvet%2Fktudor%2F2012%2Fsept%2Fvitamin_c_and_calcium_oxalate_stones%23.UZjJ174iPX4&h=PAQGZhRbf

I have read more than once in dogs (and humans) that you need to supplement vitamin E if you're feeding lots of fish oil - because that depletes vitamin E...

Not sure if that applies to other supplements that are supposed to help with joint recovery and rehab.

I don't think Vit C is like that. You can overdose Vit C and it will just come out as urine. Whereas overdosing of fish oil cause oxidisation and that process depletes Vit E. Taking Vit E to counter attack this problem may sound trivial, but Vit E is one of the most dangerous supplements out there. An overdose of Vit E can causes major and fatal issues! There were several court cases where they wanted this suplement to be pre-scription based only. I bet Vit E is not found on the shelves in America.

Sounds like another great testimony.

By any chance if you can share the breed, the weight and why did your dog needed help (was it surgey/accident/old/)?

My fat 10 year old lab is a bit hard to put my finger on. After 3 weeks of start up and a few days of maintenance, I'm still not sure it's improving but one thing for sure, it's not getting worse.

I would think in your dogs situation the very best thing for her would be to get rid of the excess weight. That alone would make her far more mobile, more energetic and much more comfortable. I am sure the supplements would be helping relieve some discomfort.

I would think in your dogs situation the very best thing for her would be to get rid of the excess weight. That alone would make her far more mobile, more energetic and much more comfortable. I am sure the supplements would be helping relieve some discomfort.

Heh, spot on. That's the goal for a few years now. It's only once in her annual visit to the vet that she said this weight looks good. Every other time is "too fat!". We are working on it. More runs and eating less. I must declare we do often see labradors fatter than mine!

Heh, spot on. That's the goal for a few years now. It's only once in her annual visit to the vet that she said this weight looks good. Every other time is "too fat!". We are working on it. More runs and eating less. I must declare we do often see labradors fatter than mine!

Out of interest is she not losing the weight fairly quickly because you find it hard to resist her and restrict her diet or do you feed her very little and her weight doesn't shift?

Edited by OSoSwift

Out of interest is she not losing the weight fairly quickly because you find it hard to resist her and restrict her diet or do you feed her very little and her weight doesn't shift?

She's limited in her food but she lust for more for sure and we don't give in. She's not a 100% pure Lab. She still got a sexy waste line...probaly sexiest in the entire human family in this house! We are getting off topic anyway. If you're insterested, please send me a private msg.