Another Joint Supplement: Rose-hip Vital Canine

ness

There was an interesting FB post shared re Vitamin C written by a Canine Naturopath on the linkage of vitamin C, stress and collagen. Not sure how to share it here but there was a suggestion that good quality collagen is dependent on a good supply of Vitamin C.

There was an interesting FB post shared re Vitamin C written by a Canine Naturopath on the linkage of vitamin C, stress and collagen. Not sure how to share it here but there was a suggestion that good quality collagen is dependent on a good supply of Vitamin C.

Collagen from the dictionary world didn't make any relevance here. Perhaps a link to something relevant would be appreciated.

This was the rest of it "Collagen is a group of naturally occurring proteins that act like a ‘cement’ binding tissues – it is collagen that gives ligaments and tendons their strength and this in turn, strengthens overall body structures."

I will see if I can get permission to post the full post

My girl has been on it for 2 to 3 weeks now & not sure if it is RHCV, but two nights ago she was in the lounge room & was so excited she was trying everything to get our attention & in her excitement she actually did a back flip summersault. I freaked out of course :laugh: I have cut the dose by half & the sloppy poos have gone.

I have seen an improvement in Nellie, just finishing the loading dose and I have noticed she is much better getting up on the couch and the bed (not that we allow that in this house :) )

She used to take a while to work up to the jump, now she just does it when invited, really happy with that. As I have said before she has very significant problems and I don't expect a cure but very happy with the slight improvment.

Seems like in general this is working. Anyone care to share any no-success experience in this? (other than negative side effects like diarrhoea)

My 10 year old lab seems to be improving as well.

I guess the next logical question would be is regaqrds to Rose Hip vs cartrophen injections. The latter works? but defintiely more expensive??

Edited by Jess the Lab

Think its about finding what combinations works for your dog Jess. Both my two have had a course of cartrophen injections (not recently though - would be going back nearly 2 years now) and regarding cost I actually didn't find the course of cartrophen injections especially expensive but then I was still using supplements on top of the injections (at that time I had them both on Joint Guard).

Mine is on Both Cartrophen and Rosehip stuff as well. Her cartophen was three monthly then monthly when she was sore, but now I am going to play it by ear, she had one around a month ago and I will leave it as long as I can.

I buy a few Cartrophen injections at a time - usually around 3 or 6 depending on intervals - or a whole vial when two animals were on it monthly- and give it myself when needed.

Edited by OSoSwift

I started 2 of mine on it yesterday and interesting they didn't lick it off the bowls like they do Sacha's Blend. In fact, I have made a mental note that tomorrow night I will actually have to mix it into their food so I don't waste it - rather than sprinkling it on top.

They are both pigs so guess I was surprised at their reaction yesterday and it was the same again tonight - so will mix it in tomorrow night. Also one weighs 17kg the other 19kg so I am giving 2 1/2 scoops rather than 3 does this sound right?

Ptolomy loading dose for that size dog is suggested at 4 scoops - maintenance is 2 scoops but I do agree with the mixing it in well. If you feed a lesser amount then it will just take longer to see the effect.

Edited by ness

Mine is a pig too (aka Labrador). Have tempted her to eat a rock thrown in to her food bowl...and it works. So, eating Rose Hip is like breathing air for her.

My vet has many times told me to plan for this routine cartophen injections. It was expensive after sumnming up the visits that I've to make and to get the nurse to administer. So far, her legs are improving. Her signs of occasional limping are like no more. So, I think I can discount this cartophen.

Edited by Jess the Lab

I'm going to order some for Zoe (14). I noticed that she's been a little slower lately and her joints a little 'clicky'. I already give them VAN Health Booster but I think she might need something a little extra. Hope it works for her like it has for the dogs in this thread. :)

I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't seem to be helping my Jazz much at all, she is 15 1/2, so I guess I couldn't expect miracles, but I was hoping for a little improvement. I'm booking her in for another cartrophen injection,so I will see if that helps at all combined with the RHV.

Sorry to hear its not doing much for Jazz Trishm. How long has she been on it now? Fingers crossed the cartrophen helps in conjunction with the RHV. Its so hard to see them struggling. At 15 1/2, have you tried any more normal meds with her either a NSAID or tramadol?

Edited by ness