Breed Suggestions

aussielover

I totally get that Alkhe -- they're not suited because of their coats in cold climates.

That being said, I can't imagine someone who breeds racing greys to have them all in their house. I'd imagine that barns or something would be used.

Edited to say that I could also be completely wrong too as I know very little about racing greys.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally get that Alkhe -- they're not suited because of their coats in cold climates.

That being said, I can't imagine someone who breeds racing greys to have them all in their house. I'd imagine that barns or something would be used.

Edited to say that I could also be completely wrong too as I know very little about racing greys.

Greyhounds often live outside with a kennel in a yard. Some live in runs in tin sheds. Some live in sheds but with cooling and heating. Mine are outside at night when I go to work. They survive quite well, good kennels, good dog coats on in the winter. I actually thought a greyhound may suit the OP but they apparently want a puppy.

My top family recommends are:

Pointer

Whippet

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Beagle

If trainability is an issue, I'd probably knock out the Beagle but what to they actually want to train the dog to do?

I honestly don't think a people oriented dog is going to be happy watching family life through the back windows but if they can be a bit flexible about that, any of the aforementioned breeds is worth a look.

I'd think a stafford would be pretty miffed at having to be outside a majority of the time and not having access to the full house/family. And if it only has a small yard getting half an hour of exercise probably wouldn't be enough IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointer

Whippet

Beagle

If trainability is an issue, I'd probably knock out the Beagle but what to they actually want to train the dog to do?

I honestly don't think a people oriented dog is going to be happy watching family life through the back windows but if they can be a bit flexible about that, any of the aforementioned breeds is worth a look.

I'd think a stafford would be pretty miffed at having to be outside a majority of the time and not having access to the full house/family. And if it only has a small yard getting half an hour of exercise probably wouldn't be enough IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. My Stafford is like my shadow, he follows me everywhere. He is ok with being outside when we aren't home, but if we are home and leave him out he just sits by the door and sooks till he falls asleep or is let in.

He also gets quite destructive if he isn't well exercised and entertained. Wasn't able to take him for a run for a feed days as I was sick and he has dug up the sprinkler system.

Peite Bassett Griffon Vendeen,...Field Spaniel....Clumber Spaniel...Golden Retriever...Labrador.

Field Spaniels are very difficult to obtain, and I think a Clumber might be a lot bigger than they wanted + both would want to be inside. Sorry, don't know anythong about PBGV. Don't know that they are all that easy to get either.

Pointer

Whippet

Beagle

If they want a dog to watch them through the window they should consider a toy one.

. You mean a toy as in plastic . . . . Not a toy breed, I hope,

Greyhound?

I would not recommend any of the working dogs. 30 minutes a day is not enough and working dogs NEED to be with their people.

Greyhound? Definitely not.

Where do people get the idea that 30 minutes is enough for dogs? My Myrtie is a 3.5kg toy breed mix and she would happily walk for a couple of hours a day. If I decide to take her out on her own, I am just about trotting to keep up with her.

I DIDN"T!!! Hence the question mark after Greyhound????? Or did you miss thatsmile.gif

I think most posters have missed that the OP said the dog will be allowed inside (in some areas) when they are home- outside when they are not.

Hardly an outside only situation.

As for the 30mins exercise- i personally think it IS do-able if its the right kind of exercise. A half hour strenuous game of fetch would tire out most dogs. Certainly does my GR.

Im sure the family will be disappointed to be told there don't seem to be any purebred dog breeds which suit their lifestyle!

Don't most dogs stay outside during the day while parents work and kids are at school? The kids should be home from 3.30pm onward so you'd have to think there'd be plenty of interaction then.

My Frenchie is inside when I'm home, outside when Im not, and doesn't have access to bedrooms but she doesn't appear traumatised :D I think as long as there's lots of love, the time spent with the dog is quality time and exercise is regular isn't that what most dogs would be happy with?

Good luck to the family in finding a new pet, hopefully there's a purebred dog out there which would be perfect for them. Kudos to them asking what dog would suit their needs!

I think the inside/outside mix sounds ok, especially if they are planning to have the dog inside with them when they are home. I understand why it would need to be outside when they're out and about. Families at that stage are busy with school, sport, work etc. so they'll need a dog that can be happy when they're needing to be away from it.

But also with a family of that size and age I would imagine there would be no shortage of social interaction when the family is home, so long as the dog has access to the family room which is where all the action is.

So based on that assumption, and noting that none of the kids are really 'young' anymore (youngest is 10 years old I think), and assuming they don't want to do much in the way of advanced obedience but essentially want a nice polite friendly family dog - how about a borzoi or perhaps a deerhound?

My daughter has a lovely borzoi who would do fine in that situation, so long as the kids are nice kids and are taught to be gentle. Doesn't need enormous amounts of exercise, is a lovely looking sweet-natured dog that is adored by everyone she meets. She is very low maintenance in a general sense, although being a large dog does eat a reasonable amount and vet bills are always slightly higher for larger breeds (but not much higher than a lab or a goldie really).

She wouldn't be a ball-fetcher though - so if they're wanting a dog they can teach lots of funny tricks this breed would probably not really be the pick. Again it depends what kind of family they are. If they're sporty, they might prefer a dog that would learn some party tricks the way a lab would - but that relies on them being willing to put the extra effort into the additional exercise and training those kinds of dogs need.

The larger sighthounds cope well with some time alone and tend to be lazy and sleep a fair bit of the day. They are less demanding of exercise than many breeds, and the coats are pretty easy-care.

They are very tall dogs though - so it also depends how much space is available in the house/yard/car. If they drive around in a smallish car it might not be practical, but with a family of 5 I'm guessing they may have a wagon/4wd of some kind...?

Edited by Zug Zug

Pointer

Whippet

Beagle

If they want a dog to watch them through the window they should consider a toy one.

. You mean a toy as in plastic . . . . Not a toy breed, I hope,

Greyhound?

I would not recommend any of the working dogs. 30 minutes a day is not enough and working dogs NEED to be with their people.

Greyhound? Definitely not.

Where do people get the idea that 30 minutes is enough for dogs? My Myrtie is a 3.5kg toy breed mix and she would happily walk for a couple of hours a day. If I decide to take her out on her own, I am just about trotting to keep up with her.

I DIDN"T!!! Hence the question mark after Greyhound????? Or did you miss thatsmile.gif

No, and I wasn't referring to your post in that. I was referring to other posts. Dear me.

That's why I still think the Aussie Terrier would be highly suitable. They're very tough and robust and are a joy for all kids. My youngest brother was 3 and my oldest brother was 11 when we got Poochie and she had 5 kids to play with every day of her 16 year life.

We'd wake up, go play with Poochie then go to school. As soon as we were home we'd be outside playing backyard soccer -- 3 vs 2 + Poochie! :D

I feel that as long as a dog isn't left ignored in the backyard, it'll be fine. Dogs inside is becoming so common now but it wasn't once -- the majority of dogs lived outside. That's what dogs did. Society has changed to allow for more companionship and closer bonding -- as dog owners, we've come far!

There's definitely nothing wrong with an inside/outside balance and as long as the dog/puppy is getting the love, attention and training it requires, it'll grow up lovely.

This family sounds perfect for a dog and I wish them well with whatever breed they choose!!

I would say a grey too.

Not many other breeds would fit only half an hours walk uness it was a small companion breed and then livig outside wouldn't suit.

Puppy grey?

very hard to get hold of an under 12 week old pup. That's when they are ear branded. Most racing people want to hold onto them to see how they turn out. Price can be high as well. I have put people onto puppy selling sites when they ask my about a pup and I don't have any. Sometimes an oops litter is born or there is one that has been stood on and damaged a leg so ok as a pet, not suitable for racing. As for show bred, very few and far between.

Easier to get a GAP grey then a puppy grey.

I just wanted to say to the person who said 30 mins of extreme ball game would tire out their dog -

If I tried that with any of my dogs, they would get so fit within a week that they would not even get puffed anymore. Then they would ask for more and in the meantime have a bunch of extra energy to start scaling the clothes line and eat the clothes...

Most dog will want some form of mental stimulation, as well as physical exercise, and that should ideally be distributed over at least 2 walks a day.

Of course some dogs may be fine with this, I just would not rely on it when acquiring a puppy that could grow up into either.

are greyhounds not bred to show here?

could they not buy a pup from a show breeder?

Show bred greyhounds are a rare breed in this country. They are my breed and they are not bred very often. 2011 there were 12 born, 2012 none.

are greyhounds not bred to show here?

could they not buy a pup from a show breeder?

Show bred greyhounds are a rare breed in this country. They are my breed and they are not bred very often. 2011 there were 12 born, 2012 none.

:offtopic: but why is this? Is it because most people see Greys as racing dogs and aren't interested in them as a pet?

Greyhound pups from racing breeders do become available from time to time.

Mismating results that can't be registered can't race. That's one example. Injury is another reason.

Sir WJ knows of a 7 week old looking for a home at the moment!!