Breed Suggestions

aussielover

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are greyhounds not bred to show here?

could they not buy a pup from a show breeder?

Show bred greyhounds are a rare breed in this country. They are my breed and they are not bred very often. 2011 there were 12 born, 2012 none.

:offtopic: but why is this? Is it because most people see Greys as racing dogs and aren't interested in them as a pet?

:shrug: no idea really. Adults are popular, hence the success for GAP etc. When I first got into greys there were a lot of stories around about how grey puppies were the puppies from hell. These usually came from people who had never had a puppy of any breed and often the only dog experience was with nice calm adult greys. I've never had any trouble with any grey puppy. The worst were a pair of 6 month olds that I fostered straight from a rearing establishment. They only saw people when they got fed basically. They were pitiful in how they craved human company. Wore quite a few scratches but they soon settled down. Were great young dogs when they left here.

I just wanted to say to the person who said 30 mins of extreme ball game would tire out their dog -

If I tried that with any of my dogs, they would get so fit within a week that they would not even get puffed anymore. Then they would ask for more and in the meantime have a bunch of extra energy to start scaling the clothes line and eat the clothes...

Most dog will want some form of mental stimulation, as well as physical exercise, and that should ideally be distributed over at least 2 walks a day.

Of course some dogs may be fine with this, I just would not rely on it when acquiring a puppy that could grow up into either.

Depends on the dog, the owner, how it is raised, etc

I have two dogs, one is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the other a WL Malinois. Both very different dogs and both can easily deal with <30 mins per day exercise when required. And with a whole week of 40+ degree temps coming up that (along with a few short training sessions for the Mal) is pretty much what they will be getting! Admittedly my dogs are in the house with me for the majority of the day though.

Given that the way that the average (non dogsport/show/DOL/etc orientated) family in Australia treats their dogs - thrown in the backyard and expected to entertain itself with little to no training or exercise - I think the family in the OP will be fine. Where does it say the dog will be thrown outside with no contact? I believe the OP mentioned this family are willing to offer the dog restricted inside access and around 30 mins exercise every day. They obviously have some idea..

For what it's worth I'd suggest a Golden or perhaps a lower energy Lab.

I think people are thinking too much in the extreme. Most dogs would probably be suited with a bit of commone sense and crate training.

Eg perfect day and a dog proofed outdors area, let him/her run free when there is no-one home.

Forecasted storms or extreme heat, crate for the few hours you/your kids are not home, then let them decide when you are.

Excercise doesn't just mean walking or specific dog related stuff.

My kids get home and go straight to the backyard to kick the ball around, and our Boxer pup does the same. (OP said the family has kids)

Being that he is crated during the day, when we're all home, all he wants to do is go outside and roam around the backyard. Only saying this as Boxers are extremely people orientated, yet believe it or not, he enjoys time exploring outside.

The OP said it would be a mix of indoor and outdoor, and in my view, with commone sense, and crate training (including sleep indoors in crate) then pretty much most dogs will suit.

My biased view - get a Boxer :)

Thats really interesting about greys, i had no idea, just assumed they were shown too.

I had a client in the UK who bred and showed her greys, they were much bigger and chunkier, and darn good guard dogs too :laugh:

I just wanted to say to the person who said 30 mins of extreme ball game would tire out their dog -

If I tried that with any of my dogs, they would get so fit within a week that they would not even get puffed anymore. Then they would ask for more and in the meantime have a bunch of extra energy to start scaling the clothes line and eat the clothes...

Most dog will want some form of mental stimulation, as well as physical exercise, and that should ideally be distributed over at least 2 walks a day.

Of course some dogs may be fine with this, I just would not rely on it when acquiring a puppy that could grow up into either.

Depends on the dog, the owner, how it is raised, etc

I have two dogs, one is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the other a WL Malinois. Both very different dogs and both can easily deal with <30 mins per day exercise when required. And with a whole week of 40+ degree temps coming up that (along with a few short training sessions for the Mal) is pretty much what they will be getting! Admittedly my dogs are in the house with me for the majority of the day though.

Given that the way that the average (non dogsport/show/DOL/etc orientated) family in Australia treats their dogs - thrown in the backyard and expected to entertain itself with little to no training or exercise - I think the family in the OP will be fine. Where does it say the dog will be thrown outside with no contact? I believe the OP mentioned this family are willing to offer the dog restricted inside access and around 30 mins exercise every day. They obviously have some idea..

For what it's worth I'd suggest a Golden or perhaps a lower energy Lab.

:thumbsup:

my very biased view says a sheltie - very intelligent, eager to please, cope with being outside (especially when not at home - but would want to be your shadow when you are around). Cope with as little or as much exercise as you give them and their coat requires much less maintenance than people think.

Having said this..... Would a Bernese suit? My friends have one and she is really great. Lovely temperament. Exercise needs are low, is happy inside or out. They trained her well as a puppy. She has nice manners.

That's why I still think the Aussie Terrier would be highly suitable. They're very tough and robust and are a joy for all kids. My youngest brother was 3 and my oldest brother was 11 when we got Poochie and she had 5 kids to play with every day of her 16 year life.

We'd wake up, go play with Poochie then go to school. As soon as we were home we'd be outside playing backyard soccer -- 3 vs 2 + Poochie! :D

I feel that as long as a dog isn't left ignored in the backyard, it'll be fine. Dogs inside is becoming so common now but it wasn't once -- the majority of dogs lived outside. That's what dogs did. Society has changed to allow for more companionship and closer bonding -- as dog owners, we've come far!

There's definitely nothing wrong with an inside/outside balance and as long as the dog/puppy is getting the love,

attention and training it requires, it'll grow up lovely.

This family sounds perfect for a dog and I wish them well with whatever breed they choose!!

:thumbsup: Sounds good to me!

A smooth Collie may work, short coat, good family dogs trainable but they don't go mad if they miss a walk. A rough may work too but then there is the grooming to consider and many people find the idea of the grooming okay but when it comes to actually doing it consistantly they find it too much. I think all things said they would need to go and look and spend some time with various dogs of the breeds mentioned. People who like the gun dog type temperament may not like the temperament you get with a hound or a working breed. Lots of fun to go looking though. :thumbsup:

A smooth Collie may work, short coat, good family dogs trainable but they don't go mad if they miss a walk. A rough may work too but then there is the grooming to consider and many people find the idea of the grooming okay but when it comes to actually doing it consistantly they find it too much. I think all things said they would need to go and look and spend some time with various dogs of the breeds mentioned. People who like the gun dog type temperament may not like the temperament you get with a hound or a working breed. Lots of fun to go looking though. :thumbsup:

I thought the same thing, but I think a collie is the answer to most situations in life :p