If You Are Not With Your Dogs

Staffyluv

I don't know if it's a pug thing, or happens a lot with people within their own breeds, but I often get people saying "I have a pug at home" or "I used to own a pug" or "I had pugs back when I lived in my home country" etc and I like it

Not just a pug thing, I get it heaps with my sibes. Usually the wallet opens and out come all the photos too!

Hehe excellent! I atually like it, it's like one big family but I know some people who find it annoying.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's a pug thing, or happens a lot with people within their own breeds, but I often get people saying "I have a pug at home" or "I used to own a pug" or "I had pugs back when I lived in my home country" etc and I like it

Not just a pug thing, I get it heaps with my sibes. Usually the wallet opens and out come all the photos too!

yes this used to happen sooo much to me!

I always want to say hi to random dogs, but only do so if it's appropriate :) Most times it is during my morning walk on the beach, the dogs are offlead and come up to say hi to me. I'm more than happy to return the greeting! :D

I'm a sucker for other people's dogs, even if most of the time they just remind me how well behaved my own are!! :laugh:

I usually engage the person before asking to greet their dog, and when I greet the dog, I always approach the dog, but don't initiate contact. That way, yes, I'm getting "in it's space" but am paying attention and allowing it ample time and space to move off if it doesn't want to interact, or to display any signs to indicate that I should move off. My favourite was a while ago at a macca's out in whoop-whoop somewhere, an absolutely beautiful Dogue de Bordeaux, almost adult sized but still a pup, so I chatted to the owners, greeted the dog and established that it was as attention-starved as my lot (I bet!), so I crouched down to give him a good ear scratching, and was not prepared for him to be a leaner. I fell on my bum :)

can't resist patting any dog :) with permission of course

oh and happily let ppl say hello pat my dogs , funnily enough older people often want to pat the dogs , could this be they are in homes/villages and can;t have a pet ?

Edited by Chezy & Chopper

I had a lovely spaniel (not sure what type but it was medium sized and a golden colour) swim up to me in the river last week. Got some big cuddles out of that while it rested from its swim on my arms, waited a few minutes then kept swimming :)

If the dog approaches in a friendly manner and the owners are ok with it then I will say hello and give some pats.

When the dogs are on a lead I won't usually say hi or pat them -- I feel awkward.

Off-leash I love to say hi to all the regulars because we all know each other very well (both dogs and owners).

I've noticed people are sometimes like that when I have the Samoyeds out (maybe I look intimidating, tattoo's, lots of black :laugh: ) and tell them they can have a pat. The relief on people's faces that they didn't have to ask is quite obvious.

Edited by Bjelkier

It depends on the dog - always for Frenchies and Pugs :D

Mostly though - no. I'm sort of the same with dogs as I am with kids - I like mine, but I'm not all that interested in yours unless it's particularly awesome :D

Sid attracts a lot of attention. So I am used to people stopping us, I generally don't mind, but sometimes it's frustrating because I walk him at a decent pace for exercise. They usually ask what he is/what happened to his tail/why the pug has uppy ears etc etc

I've never really felt inclined to pat strangers dogs. It's nice to read that there are so many people here who ask permission first though.

Our Stafford gets really excited and wriggley when he see's people approaching him and so many people just assume its fine to just walk over and pat him without asking. This annoys me cos not only do I find it rude but I then have to try and stop 19kg of over excited puppy from jumping up all over them to say hi.

I've certainly approached strangers to ask about their dogs.

Last time it was was a heavily tattoed and muscled guy who had a Boerbel. I asked him what the dog's breeding was. And yes, I got a pat too. :)

Of the dog that is. :o

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Last time it was was a heavily tattoed and muscled guy who had a Boerbel. I asked him what the dog's breeding was. And yes, I got a pat too. :)

Sorry, I got a mental image of you scratching a large muscly tattooed guy behind the ears and him flopping down on the ground like dogs do... :laugh:

Sorry, I got a mental image of you scratching a large muscly tattooed guy behind the ears and him flopping down on the ground like dogs do... :laugh:

He wasn't unattractive :cool:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

He wasn't unattractive :cool:

:rofl: :rofl:

I do sometimes :)

A lot depends not only on how intrerested I am in the dog but what the person is doing, how much they look like they wouldn't mind or not. Obviously I always ask as well.

I am a lot more desperate if I'm on holidays away from my own dogs :D

I do sometimes :)

A lot depends not only on how intrerested I am in the dog but what the person is doing, how much they look like they wouldn't mind or not. Obviously I always ask as well.

I am a lot more desperate if I'm on holidays away from my own dogs :D

Me too :laugh: