If You Are Not With Your Dogs

Staffyluv

Nope, I don't normally go and pat other dogs, because not all dogs are particularly interested in strangers and I don't want to annoy the dog's owner.

I don't mind it if somebody talks to me when I'm out with the dogs or asks to pat them, most of the time other people just smile at my dogs, particularly Tilly because of the way she looks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to give them a pat if they come wiggling up to me but always ask first. I had the pleasure of meeting up with doler Ons for coffee on NYE morning at a seaside cafe here on the coast with her gorgeous dogs :) I think we were the most popular table at the cafe with two greyhounds sprawled out and a Coolie and a Griffon. It was lovely to see so many kids stop and ooh and ahh over our dogs but all asked first if they could have a pat.

I actually chased a man walking a greyhound in my suburb when I came out of the bank a few months back for a pat. Turns out his wife met Stan and Maddie down at the beach one day when we were walking and ended up adopting one. He said she was the most beautiful dog and the family loved her...I was pretty chuffed about that :D

Depends. But Yes. And I usually ask the dogs to sit first. No sit. No Pat.

Some dogs just have a happy, infectious nature, I can't help but want to pat them.

My Greyhounds would be devastated...they don't sit :(

I have been known to make exceptions...like standing nicely. :D

Greyhounds are particularly nice to pat, they are just the right height. :laugh: (and soooo soft...and they lean...and and and....well they're Greyhounds. :thumbsup: )

Some dogs just have a happy, infectious nature, I can't help but want to pat them.

Yes, but the flowers in their hair would be a pretty good indication that they were up for a smooch or three. :laugh:

Big dog lovers, eat your hearts out. I've just had a very special doggy treat on my footpath. I was in the driveway pruning some bushes and this woman walked past with a BBBBBIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG glossy black dog. OMG!! So beautiful. I had my suspicions, but asked her what he was. Cane Corso! Stunning. Needless to say, I had to get the whole story because I've never seen her and the dog before and because of the layout of the streets every dog getting walked in this neighbourhood goes past my place eventually.

Turns out he is 15 months old,called Sarge (was Kaiser), this family is his seventh home!!!! He comes from Big Dog Rescue and the lady volunteered there.

The last time I'd bought my raw dog food, the owner gave me the biggest bag of liver treats that I would never get through so, I rushed inside, grabbed a big handful to give her and put Sarge "through his paces" LOL.

Gosh what a beautiful dog. Although I have to be honest, I could not cope with a drooling dog ! But I know where she lives, so I can get a big black glossy beautiful dog fix in the future. I told her to whistle when she goes past again LOL.

I have been known to make exceptions...like standing nicely. :D

Greyhounds are particularly nice to pat, they are just the right height. :laugh: (and soooo soft...and they lean...and and and....well they're Greyhounds. :thumbsup: )

Oh yes they can stand and lean :D

Nice DD, I've never met a Cane Corso :thumbsup:

I don't approach people to pat their dogs, but if I am walking past and the dog approaches me I make a friendly comment etc. When my Sibe was young we used to have people pull over in their car, get out and ask to pat him!

I have been watching Sarge on Facebook DD - he looks divine..

Lucky you getting to meet him in person..

Oh, really, I don't follow it? Maybe, I should take a look, give an update to make a few more people jealous :laugh:

I'm here to tell you, StaffyLuv, he is one gorgeous gorgeous dog and I sure hope I see more of him (but I'll have a hand towel at the ready)......

I see you are in Canberra so if ever you come to Sydney, let me know and I'll take you to meet him = LOL.

ETA: I found the FB entry. Lovely to see him leaping around his new back yard. His new owner told me he was just great with her existing dog.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Do you say hi to random dogs?

I don't pat them but have been known to say 'hello gorgeous'. It's been very embarrassing when the owner thought you meant them though. :laugh:

Ha ha ha that's what you tell us. Hmmm, nice pick up line. I might try it. :laugh: :laugh:

I have been know to say the same and then add that the two legged one isn't too bad either. :D :D

Edited by Danny's Darling

Quite often I'll have a chat to someone and end up patting their dog. The last dog I admired and was making a fuss of was a large black dog in the vet, it was an Akita cross and he was just lovely.

Contrary to what DOL members may have read about me in some members' presumptuous posts on this forum, I like dogs of all kinds - with nice natures - I just happen to currently own small dogs. :)

I don't pat them but have been known to say 'hello gorgeous'. It's been very embarrassing when the owner thought you meant them though. :laugh:

Ha ha ha that's what you tell us. Hmmm, nice pick up line. I might try it. :laugh: :laugh:

I have been know to say the same and then add that the two legged one isn't too bad either. :D :D

But it's usually the dog that is the better looking! :laugh: :laugh:

But it's usually the dog that is the better looking! :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, without a doubt. :thumbsup:

Guest Clover

Not often, I will say hi to oldies if it is ok with their owners tough. I get dogs that come into work to get fitted for various things and I have a hard time saying hello and giving them a pat sometimes :o.

Eta: I do make exceptions for rescue greyhounds, I can spot a Gap hound a mile away :love:.

Edited by Clover