Bin Raider - Very Unusual!

Leelaa17

Hello all,

On here for a bit of friendly advice about my male 3yo GSD.

About say 3 months ago, Max started raiding bins in the house (even in the rooms he knows he's not allowed to go into). He has never, ever done it when I am around. He only does it when I go upstairs (he is not allowed upstairs) to have a shower or to get something out of my room.

He has also on occasion (the last time being about an hour ago) put his front paws on the bench and gotten food down and eaten it.

We have another GSD, a female aged 2, but I'm certain its Max doing the bin raiding. The reason being is because Jenna isn't exploratory. You give her a normal dog treat and she can't work out how to eat it. Also, Max recently ate rat poison. He will eat anything.

I'm concerned because we give him regular exercise, I walk him every night - although I will admit I have been slack the last two weeks because I have been busy and its been hot and I really don't handle the heat well at all.

We feed him twice a day, a cup of dry food and a tiny bit of nature's own dog food (or nature's gift? Not entirely sure!!) I get different flavours and they never have the same flavors two days in a row.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why he suddenly started doing this when he never used to do it before??

Thanks in advance!!

because he can? I never leave food out on bench tops etc but I do leave the cat's food on top of the small freezer, the dogs could actually get it if they tried. My guess is he tried it once and got something yummy so he keeps trying and keeps getting rewarded. Maybe he feels hungry, could you add vegies to his meals to keep him full longer? But you will have to put temptation out of the way.

Hi :)

Is Max entire?

What else do you do with him to exercise his brain & body each day?

why he suddenly started doing this when he never used to do it before?

Do you remember the first thing he got from th e bin? This was probably a really yummy thing ..and taught him that raiding bins was a great way to get rewarded. :)

Max recently ate rat poison. He will eat anything.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

This is a worry, I know, and it is our responsibility to ensure they can not get to harmful things . Cupboards, sheds, high shelves, and locked doors become our friends !

What bones does Max get to chew ? Does he have a treat ball, or do they get ice blocks with treats in ?:)

Thank you for your replies guys!

I'm sure he did get something very tasty. We don't usually leave things on the bench but the another dog we have is very sick and her food was just popped on the bench because we were going to give it to her later.

We were usually vigilant with rat poison, it's no where near where the dogs go, but one day dad was moving the bird cage (with rat poison underneath it) and he kicked the rat poison out of the way and forgot about it, and then max ate it,

We throw a ball around and play tug a war and run around the house and play etc, as well as exercise.

They get bones once a week as my vet said it's not very good for them if they have it more than that. The bones they get are those really big bones (I don't actually know what animal they are from)

Max has absolutely no interest in treat balls etc, although the treats in ice thing I think would work nicely because he looooves ice.

I might do that tonight so he has something for tomorrow!

Would you suggest anything to put in the ice?

I cant remember what the first thing he got from the bin was unfortunately.

And Rebanne - that is a good idea. I might give that a go.

Thank you again for your comments!

Unfortunately, once they do it once they quickly learn that it works and can become very persistent. We always put our bin up out of reach - just in case.

Yup, it's a self reinforcing behaviour. They're bloody annoying! :laugh:

Don't want to state the obvious, but, is he getting enough food?

1.5-2 cups a day is generally what I would feed my 18-22kg dogs...maybe it's worth a weigh in at the Vet just to see if he's holding his previous weight/s. :)

ETA:

Hi Staff n Toller - Max gets 1 cup twice a day of dry food and about a third of wet food twice a day. He is lean and the vet always comments on his good weight. He is small for a male gsd and weighs in at 36kg. But I honestly don't think I need to feed him more, but I guess I could give it a go and try it out :)

Edit: the amount of food he gets

Edited by Leelaa17

I wouldn't assume he needs more food.

Some dogs will just find and eat what you make availabe - in bins, benches, etc.

Chicken stock with whatever he likes.

Could be boredom, plus the opportunity is there with food within reach and in an accessible bin.

You could try a couple of things...

- increase his exercise

- if he needs to gain weight or he is genuinely hungry, look at his diet

- empty your bins more often...so if he raids the bin when you're in the shower, empty the bin before he is left alone

- you could look at buying a different bin...one of my dogs would raid the bin occasionally if she was bored, but she has never tried to raid this bin, since I bought a similar style bin from office works a while ago (the one below is from ikea), and if he tried to raid this kind of bin, you'll hear him!

knodd-bin-with-lid__57402_PE162985_S4.jpg

Edited by fainty_girl

Chicken stock with whatever he likes.

That was my first thought. I boil up a whole chicken and when finished, take out the chicken, stand the pot in the frig until fat solid on the top, skim off and strain the stock through fabric to get all the fat out of it.

I cook vegetables and rice in the stock.

(This is just for the dogs as I am a vegetarian.)

I have one dog who would eat until he burst so he gets mostly vegies.

They're opportunists, they see something good, they eat it. I don't think it's that unusual and assume like rebanne that he got something good and keeps going back for more :)

I would just keep the bin away from him if you're not there to supervise, that's what we do. Mosley is a notorious bench surfer so things can't be left there either *rolleyes*

Stan is a bin raider, an oven raider, a cupboard raider, a bench surfer, you name it...he'll raid it. He definately doesn't need more food he's just obsessed with it and as someone else said he does it because he can. I have a large sign on my front door that says BIN to remind me everytime I go out to empty the bin. He didn't always do this it started about 12 months ago. I left mince defrosting in the oven 6 months ago which he ate and now everytime I come home the oven is open.

My rubbish bin now lives in a cupboard and the food bin is behind a door with a circular knob on it *cough my dogs can open doors with pull down handles*........

E collar or remove the temptation because its a self rewarding behaviour and the more random and occasional the reward and the occasional jackpot means its exceptionally difficult to train them out of.

My meat defrosts in the microwave and I also now have a lockable cupboard in the kitchen for anything that I wouldnt want the dogs getting into if they did manage to open one of the pantry doors!

I only have one ninja but I dont want the others learning from her. She also learnt that clip lock plastic containers held the 'good stuff' so was actively searching for them at one point. Thankfully a few boobie traps in the plastic containers sorted that out :laugh:

Edited by Jumabaar

Nothing unsual about it.

As the others have said, you're living with an opportunistic scavenger who's learned that bin and bench surfing brings rewards. He'll keep on doing it now.

Many of us also live with this. Yep, all defrosting occurs in the microwave, bins live in cupboards and you learn not to leave food where they can get it.

Dogs don't have to be hungry or diet deficient to do it either. Just don't ask what some dogs have managed to score on raids. One Whippet at my place got a steak off a BBQ surrounded by people and no one even noticed!

Just thank the heavens he hasnt' yet learned to open cupboards or the fridge - some dogs do! :eek:

Clean your bin lids with citronella oil or eucalyptus oil wiped over them.. Dogs hate the smell.

I wipe our bins out with eucalyptus oil (as my fool actually likes the smell and taste of citronella).. He never goes near them now.

Vicks vapour rub can also work as a deterrant, if you have a weirdo that loves citronella and citrus and every other man-made dog deterrant product on the planet like I do!

Mine will only lick the vicks a few times before deciding it's not worth going any further, then walks around with super clear sinuses for the rest of the day :laugh:

Edited by minimax

Guest Labradork

Just thank the heavens he hasnt' yet learned to open cupboards or the fridge - some dogs do! :eek:

My Lab knows how to open cupboards and the fridge - she is very crafty.

She was opening kitchen drawers at 8 weeks of age :laugh: