Any Good References On Dog Body Language?

ann21

A while ago there was a topic posted with a link to a video of a child manhandling a Rottweiler and it got me thinking- I could probably do better in reading my dog's body language (and others of course!) Some of the signs of stress or aggression in dogs are obvious to me (e.g. stiff tail or posture) but I am sure I miss the not so obvious signs sometimes, especially during a quick meet and greet when I am out for walks. Does any one have any good articles, books or videos to share?

Edited by ann21

Patricia mcconnell, 'for the love of a dog'.. I'm on my phone and can't quite remember if that's the exact title, but it's something like that.

I second 'on talking terms with dogs' too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Patricia mcconnell, 'for the love of a dog'.. I'm on my phone and can't quite remember if that's the exact title, but it's something like that.

I second 'on talking terms with dogs' too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, Yes to both!!

Patricia McConnell also has videos that are fab! Well worth watching.

speaking of dog body language I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this photograph. I assume it's a file photo of a so called savage dog. It looks to me though that the dog is either smiling, or has been taught to "snarl" on command. It looks like it's waiting for a treat or reward to me. A few others agreed with me, what do you think?

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/boy-in-hospital-after-dog-attack/1688995/

Well, I'm far from an expert LOL, but I would have thought if the dog was snarling, the top lip would be much higher up and showing his gums.

His ears are relaxed, but thinking that made me realise I don't have much of an idea what ears are doing if a dog if a dog is in full snarling mode.

The photo also reminded me of "the Dally Smile".

There doesn't seem to be any tension in the dog, not that we have the full dog in the photo.

Very interesting.

Another vote for Turid Rugaas' On Talking Terms with Dogs.

speaking of dog body language I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this photograph. I assume it's a file photo of a so called savage dog. It looks to me though that the dog is either smiling, or has been taught to "snarl" on command. It looks like it's waiting for a treat or reward to me. A few others agreed with me, what do you think?

http://www.sunshinec...attack/1688995/

I think it looks like the start of an aggressive snarl rather than being a smile. You can tell by the base of the whiskers that the lips are going up, where as in the smile type snarls, the lips tend to be drawn backwards. I don't think the dog is fully fired up though. Maybe it was just barking. It looks like it may have been photoshopped onto that background as the dog is not properly in focus as you would expect from a studio shot.

Thanks guys I managed to find a PDF version of 'on talking terms with dogs' and checked out the 'does your dog really want to be petted' video- both very interesting! Will try to sharpen my observation skills from now on...

A while ago there was a topic posted with a link to a video of a child manhandling a Rottweiler and it got me thinking- I could probably do better in reading my dog's body language (and others of course!) Some of the signs of stress or aggression in dogs are obvious to me (e.g. stiff tail or posture) but I am sure I miss the not so obvious signs sometimes, especially during a quick meet and greet when I am out for walks. Does any one have any good articles, books or videos to share?

'On Talking Terms with Dogs' and also 'The Language of Dogs', Sarah Kalnajs - 2 DVD set.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/boy-in-hospital-after-dog-attack/1688995/

I wish I had the photos to show you but our old Dobe used to do that on command - we would say smile Dylan and he would pull his lips back over his teeth. He also used to do it if you said, show us your teefs..

To me, there doesn't appear to be aggression in his eyes at all - he is just looking at someone or something..

God I hate the media..

Edit - I posted this video last year, but here's a link to an article and video on how to tell if a dog wants to be patted - http://eileenanddogs.com/2012/08/29/does-your-dog-really-want-to-be-petted/

Thanks for this! It is great. Someone in the comments there also linked to a German video which I also found very informative. I love these videos that show the interaction and then replay it, highlighting the body language in slow motion.

I wish I had the photos to show you but our old Dobe used to do that on command - we would say smile Dylan and he would pull his lips back over his teeth. He also used to do it if you said, show us your teefs..

To me, there doesn't appear to be aggression in his eyes at all - he is just looking at someone or something..

God I hate the media..

Agree with all that, Staffyluv - including comment re media :mad