Rant About Rip Off Vets

Loraine

I am returning permanently to the UK mid this year. Have been in touch with Dogtainers about shipping my Affenpinshcer Iggy. I phoned a few local vets about the rabies shot and got very different info from each vet.

All said how much they charge for the rabies shot (varying prices) BUT each had a different add on requirement

1. 24/48 hours before shipping dog must have flea and tick bath at the vet, also very exxy.

2. No dog does not need F and T bath, but does need a blood test and then a heartworm vaccination, again very exxy.

I got back to Dongtainers (really great service) and was told "all the dog needs is the Rabies shot, NOTHING else". When dog arrives at the airport AQIS vet checks him, gives him a heartworm pill and signs off on the paperwork.

I do wish vets would not try to add on stuff that is not a requirement and charge like a rabid bull.

Instead of price shopping I would just ask Dogtainers what vet they recommend and use them. Much easier to go to someone who regularly deals with exports because they will know exactly what they are doing and save you the confusion, time and angst regardless of a few dollars difference.

Otherwise you rely on them going and doing their own research because its not something that they would do every day so wouldn't necessarily be up to date on different requirements for different countries.

Edited by Jumabaar

Local vets can't do it a vet recognized by AQUIS is the only one who can .

As far as im aware you need the rabies only providing not returning

I think the Approved vet also has to treat for tapeworm

I don't hold much faith in dogtainers Perth of late ,

If you want good sound advice ask other shippers or email Dogtainers Melbourne who will give you the correct info .

Generally though most shippers quotes cover all the vet work aswell unless you wish to do it but make sure its done correctly

Edited by showdog

I moved to London four days ago and am doing the doggy pickup in about eight hours!!! Very excited and can't sleep so here I am :) We used Jetpets - they were $700 cheaper than Dogtainers quote. They have been amazing so far. All we had to do was get the rabies shot at least 21 days before travel (must be AQIS approved vet but found one by googling) and Jetpets has pretty much done the rest. They pick up the day before travel and do all the vet checks and the paperwork side of things.

The UK no longer requires the titre test (blood test) to be done. It is required if you are planning on returning to Australia though and needs to be done at least five months before you leave. Hope this info helps.

You can pm if you like :)

ETA It is tapeworm that is the concern, not heartworm. Even if you take your dog out of UK to Europe they have to be treated for tapeworm by a vet before re-entering the UK.

Edited by Chocolatelover

Instead of price shopping I would just ask Dogtainers what vet they recommend and use them. Much easier to go to someone who regularly deals with exports because they will know exactly what they are doing and save you the confusion, time and angst regardless of a few dollars difference.

Otherwise you rely on them going and doing their own research because its not something that they would do every day so wouldn't necessarily be up to date on different requirements for different countries.

Not necessarily a rip off, Loraine. Just as Jumabaar says: not something vets would do everyday.

Why aren't you just using your regular vet?

I also understood that you didn't give heartworm medication without a test, unless dog has been on regular heartworm prevention.

If you go to the AQIS website there is a list of accredited vets. Can't share links fro my phone but it's easy to find. You should also be able to find a list of requirements for each country. Much easier to shop around on prices when you know what you need.

Because unless her regular vet is listed by AQIS, they can't do the rabies shot.

Didn't know that. Thanks.

I got a list of acreditted vets from Dogtainers (they have been very helpful and shipped my son's Weimaraner last May).

I am very aware around where I live, that vets charge different prices for the same thing, hence why I called the three nearest to me, and got the conflicting info. I have re-checked with Dogtainers, and all I have to have done is a Rabies shot before we go, so that makes life easier just knowing what exactly is required. My own vet is not able to do the rabies shot.

Iggy is indeed the dog's name :laugh: He is a retired Aus Champ from Victoria, now neutered and living in luxury with a retired me :)

Thank you all for your responses.

Don;t know why they are talking about flea baths or heartworm, sounds like they are not up on what needs to be done!!

from defra website - this is what you need to do to bring a dog infrom austrailia

Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.

Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination. For the purposes of calculating the waiting period, the date that the vaccination was carried out is counted as day 0.

Step 3 – Get pet travel documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country or territory you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate (apart from Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland who also issue pet passports).

(so you will need the vet certificate)

Step 4 – Tapeworm treatment – (dogs only): before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway).

Step 5 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.