Pound Rounds

What I find most disturbing about PR is what was demonstrated in the response keetamouse got from them.

They are making the case for dogs that require training and rehabilitation - fine. In theory, I can support that. The problem is that they are not actually PROVIDING training or rehabilitation, and are facilitating the release of dogs that do require those things into the hands of people who aren't qualified or experienced to give those things.

If you want to make the case that dogs that fall through the cracks of the pound-rescue interface are the ones that really deserve 'rescue', fine. If you want to spend your time, effort and money on rehabilitating those dogs - great, more power to you. But they're not. They're just putting them wherever they can. Given that, I doubt anyone with the level of experience required to rehabilitate or address the behavioural issues of a DA or HA dog would actually work with Pound Rounds.

... preaching to the choir, I know.

They also promote the harmful myth that all dogs are inherently good unless mistreated and all psychological issues can be overcome.

Hmm it is a common misconception that certain issues mean the dog has been mistreated. Sadly temprment due to poor breeding can play a part. I personally know of a breeder friend who put a dog down becasue it had serious temprement issues. It was awful and she had spent huge dollars importing it but she felt she couldn't breed from this dog because it had serious human and dog agression issues even though it had NEVER been mistreated!

I OFTEN WISH THE PUBLIC WAS MORE EDUCATED ON THIS!

I'm currently helping someone with a seriously bad tempered maltese shitzu from a PET SHOP. His problem is bad temprement combined with being spoiled rotten and no discipline making him a monster. The people are totally mistified as their last 2 were spoiled rotten no dsicipling but had no issues. I tell them its temprement and that they got a seriously dominant male puppy. Their other dog although spolied with no discipline she is sweet natured and very placid. Yet they still don't get what it means when I tell them their dog has a bad temprement and that even with all the training we are putting in he will never be a nice trust worthy dog *sigh*.

As someone who keeps big dogs there is no way I'd breed a big dog with his temprement becasue it's an accident waiting to hppen!

I once worked with someone who got a puppy from a pet shop. Some long time later I asked her how the puppy was and she said she had it pts because it was feral and no matter what she did, she couldn't control it. Attacking, biting, completely uncontrollable. She got the puppy at five weeks ...

I always ask how old was a dog when you got it and it amazes me how many people get a dog at 6 weeks or less!!!

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always ask how old was a dog when you got it and it amazes me how many people get a dog at 6 weeks or less!!!

We had a recent application for any dog and, under their 'best' vet's advice, they should be getting a female at 6 weeks. :(

I see myself as extremely lucky to be able to foster puppies... and have had them in care as young as 4 weeks (dumped at a pound that young). I think what many people don't realise is the huge possibility of disease when pups that young are out in public... because most people want to show off their new puppy...

My oldest current permanent dog was a FTGH 5 week old pup when I got her... now 13 and still thinks she's a puppy... *sigh*

I will say that caring for the really young pups is actually easier than fostering them over 10 weeks... and you really do get to mould their little personalities when they are very young. Then again, I'm probably not your average puppy "owner" when you figure in that I'm raising my little charges to be awesome family pets for other people to adopt...

The funniest query we've had was for an 8 week old pup that would come fully vaccinated, house trained, and obedience trained... unfortunately, we couldn't fill that request... lol!

T.

I have a few questions about Pound Rounds. When I was at Blacktown last week I noticed a dog that had been impounded since October and I was wondering why they would hold over a dog for so long. This particular dog has been there for 85 days but is available for release to rescue only. They have been collecting money for the dog since at least December, probably longer and there isn't a rescue who has taken her on.

They posted this yesterday:

Baby girl Vennas time is up, she needs a home this weekend without fail. Blacktown is filling up again and sadly that means a doggie that has been in the pound since almost the middle of last year .... is in dire need of help! Please do all you can to save baby Venna - she does not deserve to be killed just because she so continually looked over - she has a we pudgy face and a lovely little mini amstaff sized body - she's beautiful ♥

So people are donating and there seems to be confusion about why she is still in the pound as PR keep saying she can only go to rescue and she needs a foster carer and some are responding with "Well aren't you a rescue group?"

Response from PR:

Foster caring requires a rescue group you see Christie. We need a rescue for her to save her up there - we are taking that offer seriously however we don't have a rescue to support the foster situation - we need to keep trying xox

So my question is what have they been doing with the funds and have they really not been able to get one rescue group to help since October? What the heck have they been doing?

Does Blacktown let PR pay for kenneling until a home comes along?

ETA: I do think it is a possibility that perhaps a rescue has assessed the dog and found that it isn't suitable for rehoming, hence why she is still there. But I don't know for certain...

Sorry to hijack :o I read a couple of old threads on PR and wonder if this is the kind of stuff people were talking about?

Edited by spotty.spot.spot

Yep, on their facebook page. A few comments seem to have been deleted though.

ETA: The questions on their facebook are in relation to the foster caring and them being a rescue group. The other questions are just mine..

Someone was saying they had donated $100 towards kennelling Venna, before Xmas. They were asking if she had returned to the pound. It appears she has never left :(. I wonder how long her comment will stay. If someone donates towards a specific dog, the funds should go to that dog.

She is still there because she is only to be released to rescue and one hasn't taken her. Is it standard routine for dogs to be held for 34-80 days by the pound? I didn't think it would be. The dog has been there since Oct, is that a pound thing or is PR funding it? Can they pay for the kenneling in a pound, or is it private kennels that they refer to when they ask for donations for kenneling?

The comments I was reading on the PR facebook said they were collecting donations for the dog - for what exactly if she is still in the pound with no rescue back up.

I thought so. But I don't know why people aren't connecting the dots.

There is confusion on the photo of the dog with comments such as:

I thought PR had their own kennels??????? If you are fundraising to save a dog why does it have no rescue group?
yes and arnt you a rescue group pound rounds?? isnt that why you advertise to forster?
hmmm ??

Earlier on they were directing interested parties to fill out a form to foster or adopt this particular dog named Venna:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDVQUm1mZnhnekhTN3IzODBLUVhZQVE6MQ#gid=0

Now the dog apparently only has until the weekend otherwise she will be PTS. There is one lady who has been offering to foster the dog for a while, has filled out the forms and it seems she is trying really hard to get this dog to foster.

The lady offering to foster said:

I've offered to foster her a few times. If she gets PTS I'm going to be very unhappy.

and PR responded with

Pound Rounds: We need a rescue for her to save her up there - we are taking that offer seriously however we don't have a rescue to support the foster situation - we need to keep trying xox

What exactly are they trying to do?? Do they actually communicate with rescue groups or just use dogs like these to raise $$$? It just seems a bit ridiculous that they have 'saved' so many other dogs but can't help this one who has been impounded now for 85 days. Am I missing something or...

I rarely look at their FB page, I find it so disturbing. I follow a couple of the pounds very closely so am usually aware which dogs are where, esp the smaller ones.

On one occasion a few months ago, I was aware that 2 small dogs were safe on a Friday - 1 was adopted direct from the pound, the other had gone home.

About 10 days later, photos of these two dogs popped up on the FB page needing urgent donations to save them ....

PR rely purely on the goodness of people's hearts. I don't know how they sleep at night, especially with people advising they have donated money from their savings - you just know that these people need their money, rather than giving it away.

They are very good at tugging at emotions.

Quite clever really, if it wasn't so cruel; i.e. praying on people's kindess. :mad