When To Clip

I wish I had had the common sense to know to take my dog to the groomers asap. Took him for the first time around 10-11 months old and they just couldn't clip him. He was way too fidgety, not because he's scared/nervous but because he was just SO excited to be at a new place with new people. I wasn't allowed to stick around at all and the girls grooming were quite young... so I'm not sure if it had anything to do with experience. My friend has a very fidgety dog too and says her groomer clips him just fine.

Ask around for another recommendation, she sounds inexperienced :)

eta: Not that there is anything wrong with that, everyone starts somewhere, but I guarantee the right groomer could clip your dog from start to finish without traumatizing your wriggly worm. I groom a few like that, the second you give them any kind of acknowledgement they turn themselves inside out with excitement. Grooms are done very quietly :laugh:

Thanks, that gives me some peace of mind :) The groomer herself wasn't all that nice anyway so I'm definitely not going back.

Hope you'll be able to find a good groomer clydesdalelover!

I haven't read all the other posts but 12 months is very late to start going to the groomers, I advise all new clients to bring their puppies to me as soon as they have settled at home that way they get used to the grooming before the fear/teenage stage kicks in.

Your dog will need clipping at least every 8weeks and face, feet, bum trimmed every 4 weeks.

Even if you have been handling her/him that is very different to a strange environment with unfamiliar people doing things that can be quite scary.

Where in Melbourne are you located?

I think it depends on the breed and coat type. Spitz breeds etc - never shave them, those coats DEFINITELY act as a thermostat. Coats that are likely to mat, or grow and grow like poodle or most oodle coats, however, just add bulk and definitely need to be clipped.

ETA - also, there's a difference between shaving and grooming/clipping. Grooming is necessary in many cases, shaving is .. not ever necessary, really.

Edited by Alkhe

edit: ok, I re-read your post and you say she gets brushed regularly. I guess it depends on how you're brushing the dog, whether you use a comb, blah blah. Having being a groomer for a while now I see "brushed" year old crosses all the time that need to be shorn off with a #10 so I'm a tad jaded. Having a bath and a brush at home is so different to being done in a salon, it's always good to start these experiences as early as possible.

Too true and I was one of those people who thought my dogs (Maltese and a long time ago) looked great with regular brushing. First trip to the groomer and they had to be completely shaved their coats were so matted next to the skin. I still have the photographs :eek:

When I worked and had the money, my dogs were groomed fortnightly.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Yikes, it should have been groomed for the first time months ago! Just like most people on here have said 4 months old is the best age to take it (if going to a salon) for the first time (so its fully vaccinated), but brushing and bathing and if possible getting it used to scissors and clippers prior to that is a great idea. If your pup has only been bathed and brushed chances are it will be water-matted and you are only brushing over the top of knots. It will probably need to be shaved close to the skin to get rid of the mats. Also regular combing with a fine toothed comb to really check for knots is a good idea.

Getting your dog groomed regularly such as every 8 weeks is also a good idea- more often if you can afford it. When I worked at a salon we had a couple of dogs who came every week, quite a few came every 2 or 3 weeks but the majority came every 4 or 6 weeks. If they came every 4 weeks they'd usually get a haircut every 2nd visit and a 'bath & tidy' on the other visits- this involved brushing/combing out knots, bath, nails and face/feet/toilet passages trimmed. Regular clients also got a better price than those that only came a couple of times a year or less.

Best to get on to it ASAP, especially in Summer- dogs can get so uncomfortable with knots between their toes, knots blocking their ability to toilet, nails too long to walk properly; not to mention grass seeds and hot spots etc.