Where To Start Tracking Training?

CAn anyone suggest where to go? I want to give my girl some tracking training, not so much for competition, but for finding cats/birds/people and things.

You see, I've always had great trackers, the dog you tell to find someone or something and they do. Every time. They'd either follow the trail or search till they found whatever. Unfortunately, those girls are gone now and I've had enough of the fun 'Hunt the Cat' game!

I've got a dog who has a great little nose, follows a scent accurately, finds hidden clutches of ducklings etc (then goes 'Hey! Ducks!' and runs on) and so on. She's never had any training though and doesn't take direction. Stupid me always relied on the good girls to do the job and didn't bother with the other dogs.

So my idea was to find someone who could help with some basic training, enough so I can put the dog onto a scent, keep her on it and have her indicate when she finds it.

Around Mornington, or a reasonable drive would be perfect.

Curly tracking is a winter thing, but if you contact the Tracking club you should find someone to help you once the weather cools down. There are quite a few people who do tracking out that way.

I'm going to start tracking mine this year and have a friend who will teach me, we did one session last year but for various reasons haven't had a chance since and my handling skills are non existant!

Try here.

http://www.trackingclubvic.org.au/v2/

You could contact Advance Dog Skills Australia. I do tracking training with them once a month. We use Uta Bindel's method (ground disturbance?) which takes a very, very long time to train but once they've got it they don't move their heads up!

• 1 month later...

Advanced Dogs Skills Australia. They teach the disturbed ground method - it takes ages to train but you will get a dog that really, really knows how to track (to a schutzhund level). They also train in summer because you start with only a few steps for ages and ages.

You could contact Advance Dog Skills Australia. I do tracking training with them once a month. We use Uta Bindel's method (ground disturbance?) which takes a very, very long time to train but once they've got it they don't move their heads up!

Are you going tomorrow?

pity you're so far I do it in Geelong

ETA the ground disturbance or sporting method is nice and easy to get dogs to start tracking and keep their heads down. You can quickly add scent discrimination once the dog gets it. I've had oodles do scent detection in one session searching cars it all basically comes down to can you switch the dogs nose and brain on to look for a way to get rewarded. Then you can go whichever direction you like.

Edited by Nekhbet