Top Dog And Cat Names - 2012

j

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/the-reigning-cats-and-dogs-names-of-the-year/story-fnet09p2-1226548684043

QUESTION one: Why must people give their pets human names?

Question two: Which Twilight character is top dog?

Question three: Twilight. Really?

[Enough. Take me to the list. Now.]

We found the answers to these puzzling queries in a comprehensive survey of 2.5 million dogs and cats conducted in the US state of Oregon, Discovery News reports.

Portland's Banfield Pet Hospital tallied the top names from 2012 and came up with 10 most popular monikers for our most popular family pets.

Let's start with dogs. The most popular name was Bella (Twilight, ugh), followed by Max.

Thankfully names like Buddy and Rocky help to rescue a list dominated by people names. Baby name experts say we like to do this because more and more people consider pets as a key part of their families.

The top name for cats didn't take much invention: Kitty. The best of the rest would be Shadow. But we'll let you be the judge(s).

Top dog names

1.Bella

2.Max

3.Buddy

4.Daisy

5.Bailey

6.Coco

7.Lucy

8.Charlie

9.Molly

10.Rocky

Top cat names

1.Kitty

2.Bella

3.Tiger

4.Max

5.Smokey

6.Shadow

7.Tigger

8.Lucy

9.Chloe

10.Charlie

What's your pet's name? Do you reckon it's better to pick a pet name like Rover, or a human name like Max?

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/the-reigning-cats-and-dogs-names-of-the-year/story-fnet09p2-1226548684043#ixzz2HFMDeeOw

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the record, I have a 10yo dog named Max. It was actually Maximus as a bit of a joke, because when we got him, he was not much bigger than our hands, and weighed about 500gms. But, over time, it has become Max, though usually actually called Mackie

Guest Wildthing

I always try to use names that are different - Irrawaddy, Mugwump, Tootie Fruite, Sugar Plum, Wisteria, Bumblebee, Linus, Esmerelda, Mau, and these are for rescue cats.

If I come across another bella or ruby I will scream. People are not very inventive.

Guess what Im calling out new puppy??

:laugh: Just kidding, no not Bella or Ruby ;-) There are quite a few cavaliers with those names already! Ruby being common for the Ruby coloured ones..

I've never been happy with Bella's name as it's so common and associated with 'Twilight' as well. I wish I'd changed her name when she came home, but I love her all the same, even with what would probably be the LAST name I would have chosen!

Not surprisingly none of my animals names are on that list, we like strange names (Lestat, Mistral, Dante, Alchemy, Daenerys, Beowulf, Ahti and Seti) but I do know plenty of people whose pets do have those names.

Our first cat was originally Smokey but we changed it to Seti when we brought him home.

I like people names :shrug: I think they're cute. I want to get a Pug and call him Cuthbert :D

We don't normally go for boring names although we did have a Boxer called Max but he was named after our close friend (his breeder) :)

Other names from our menagerie growing up were:

Chopsticks

Belle

Chip

Strawberry

Rascal

Blackie

Coloured

Sweet Pea

Dilly

Plunker

Jareth

Something worse than boring names is dogs named after their breed. Jack Russells called Jack/Jackie, Pugs calls Pugsley, Dalmatian called Spot, that sort of thing. Like a black cat called Blackie.

I had a black cat called Blackie :laugh: In my defense she was mine and I named her, at age 7 :laugh: