My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone's earlier suggestion of contacting the media (i.e., a current affairs show) is an excellent one. Not only to name and shame this particular business (who I sincerely hope are very close to grooming their last dog, ever), but also because this is something I would never, ever, have even thought about as a possibility when taking my dog to the groomers.

I used to regularly take our little -also elderly - pomeranian to the groomers (now do her myself at home), left her there for 3-4 hours without considering for a moment that I wouldn't get her back, safe and sound and groomed when I picked her up. Until reading this most horrific thread it had never even crossed my mind that my dog would not be safe at a salon. But reading some of the posts here, it appears to be - unbelievably - not the first time a death has resulted from a groomer's negligence.

If anything positive were to come from this utterly senseless and preventable tragedy, it would be to make dog owners aware so that they may make an educated decision about the practices of their chosen groomer/salon.

Cazstaff, I feel so terrible for you.

I think you would have to talk to a lawyer to see whether legal action is realistic or whether to take it to the small claims court or something. I would follow up again tomorrow with the RSPCA and the police as well. It was this person's job to look after the welfare of the dog and she was negligent, there might be criminal charges that could be laid. People working with animals have been charged in the past for actions resulting in an animal dying. I would not go to the media yet.

This is crazy. :( I'm so sorry Caz, this must feel like an absolute nightmare, I just can't even comprehend it.

Moose was injured (and scarred for life) by a vet and to this day I still have some regrets about not pursuing it further beyond taking him elsewhere. I'd be suing the groomer, not necessarily for compensation (the only thing I'd want is my boy back) but so they're held accountable for this utterly deplorable act of negligence. I would want the business closed.

Run free Buddy, you didn't deserve this sweet boy. :cry::rainbowbridge:

I can't believe a groomer would let this happen. I'm shocked and feel totally devastated for you Cazstaff. Run free old boy.

I used to get my old Cattle girl bathed/brushed at the groomers every month as she was too heavy for me to lift until I went in one day and saw through to the back where she was tethered on the grooming table with noone around - they were both talking to me at the front counter. I was very lucky nothing happened and I never went back.

I have groomer friends and it is an absolute no no to leave an animal tethered on the grooming table like this but I wonder how often it happens in reality.

After I read your post last night I was wondering what action you can take. I'm wondering if they belong to a groomers association, it should be reported to them as well as the RSPCA, AWL and so on. It is so terrible that anyone would lose a beloved pet in this way.

Edited by dogmad

Whatever happens I would not get a settlement with a non disclosure. If if compensation is not what you are after (you cannot get your precious boy back) The least they can do is cover your loss/costs. In memory of Buddy I would insist on publicly telling his story so the legacy of this awful situation is that other dogs may not suffer the same fate. If there is a gag on settlement it will never come out through media source like television and papers and so no-one will hear the important message that needs to be heard. Surely somebody can represent you in this situation should you not be able to deal with it personally. Perhaps a campaign would awaken owners & groomers to seeking regulated businesses...if there is a body of groomer quality assurance.( sorry I have never used a commercial groomer)

Is there a legal trained DOL member here with some idea with the laws that apply in this instance?

R.I.P Buddy, *hugs* Cazstaff, no human or dog should have to go through this ever... and their reasoning behind it complete and total negligence. It was irresponsible and straight up canine murder really. Having lunch while a dog is on a table and out of sight? Just... guh.. there are no words.

I too would be seeking legal action, contacting the media & doing everything I could to make sure they cant do this to another precious dog like your Buddy. I mean how many times have they done this before and just gotten lucky??

Disgraceful, Id like to say if it was me Id be filled with so much grief and rage they would be picking my 4x4 out of the front of their shop by the next morning. :mad (Would like to... but that would make them the victims then.) Follow every legal avenue you can to get justice for Buddy.

I too am happy to donate a few $$ for legal fees!

I know this is not what you want to be thinking about at the moment Cazstaff, but please, don't take legal advice from anybody on DOL or on the internet. It's easy to be swayed by people telling you to do this or that, or that "surely" you should be able to get this or that.. but please don't rely on any advice or posts, no matter how well intentioned they are.

If you are inclined, speak to a lawyer. By all means people on DOL could suggest lawyers or organisations that they know of or have had dealings with, but do not rely on anybody's advice here.

I mean no disrepect to anybody who has offered well intentioned examples or information about what they believe to be the situation, but it is impossible to provide accurate advice based on some online posts, regardless of how detailed they are.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

I used to get my dogs washed by a mobile groomer every month when I lived in town. He was excellent, but I was always there when he came. He moved on and the new people weren't as dog savvy IMHO so I stopped using the company.

I had left my dogs at a grooming place a couple of times, but on one occasion I explained to them that one of my dogs had recently recovered from a foot injury and to please be paticularly careful with him. I quickly ducked out to do some shopping and when I returned there was a bit of a rush to restrain one of the dogs behind a door when he heard my voice. When they brought him out they said to me there's nothing wrong with said dog because damn he could jump! What!?!?!? Apparently, they had let him loose out the back and he had cleared the split barn door and landed on the cement floor on the other side. Fortunately, he was OK, but I they were made aware how disappointed I was and I haven't been back.

These days I have an anivac system, but it's a bit hard to keep the dogs clean for any length of time when I live on a small farm. They invariably find something delightful to roll and perfume themselves with straight after a bath.

Unfortunately, it's harder than you would hope to find alternatives when required to provides the service and care that we expect. I've had kennels assure me that dogs were never left unattended in exercise areas while completing paperwork in the office, only to walk out to the carpark to leave and witness exactly that occurring. I've also had house-sitters who despite having a detailed list of instructions, think they know better and deliberately defy what I've said.

What Caz and Buddy have experienced is horrendous and unforgivable and whatever path Caz decides to pursue in the way of this absolute tragedy I wish her all the very best and hope that this never happens again to anyone else.

Guest crickets

Whatever happens I would not get a settlement with a non disclosure. If if compensation is not what you are after (you cannot get your precious boy back) The least they can do is cover your loss/costs. In memory of Buddy I would insist on publicly telling his story so the legacy of this awful situation is that other dogs may not suffer the same fate. If there is a gag on settlement it will never come out through media source like television and papers and so no-one will hear the important message that needs to be heard. Surely somebody can represent you in this situation should you not be able to deal with it personally. Perhaps a campaign would awaken owners & groomers to seeking regulated businesses...if there is a body of groomer quality assurance.( sorry I have never used a commercial groomer)

Is there a legal trained DOL member here with some idea with the laws that apply in this instance?

The dog grooming industry is completely unregulated. There are a few privately run industry associations/orgs but nothing is mandatory. There are NO minimum requirements or licenses or memberships (like builders, hairdressers, electricians etc) etc. ANYONE can wake up in the morning and call themselves a dog groomer. A 15 yrs old school leaver to a 60+ retiree & everyone in between. There is nothing stopping anyone from setting up a salon or buying a trailer with absolutely zero experience. The only things you need to comply with are local planning laws, general business licensing, tax laws, the terms of your lease, the animal welfare act etc. There is nothing specific to the industry. I would love to see this change with actual legislation in place to help protect the dog owners of Australia from cowboy traders.

This is no excuse for the flagrant negligence that cost Buddy & his owners such heartache & loss.

I recall being asked by someone if there was any money in dog grooming because someone she knew was considering buying a mobile grooming franchise. My first question was whether this person knew anything about dogs (having figured from the question that an experienced groomer would already know whether there was any money in it). The answer was no, this person didn't even have a dog, but thought there was money in it. I stressed that I would always ask what experience a groomer had and someone with no experience with dogs would soon come a-cropper.

I know this is not what you want to be thinking about at the moment Cazstaff, but please, don't take legal advice from anybody on DOL or on the internet. It's easy to be swayed by people telling you to do this or that, or that "surely" you should be able to get this or that.. but please don't rely on any advice or posts, no matter how well intentioned they are.

If you are inclined, speak to a lawyer. By all means people on DOL could suggest lawyers or organisations that they know of or have had dealings with, but do not rely on anybody's advice here.

I mean no disrepect to anybody who has offered well intentioned examples or information about what they believe to be the situation, but it is impossible to provide accurate advice based on some online posts, regardless of how detailed they are.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree :hug:

Very sorry for your loss - just cannot believe they could let this happen.

The very first thing I learnt when I first started grooming was to never leave a dog unattended on a table, in the bath, in a crate with dryer on them - didn't matter where - never leave them unattended. And never did we go on breaks at the one time either, there was always someone with the dogs. The business should be held accountable and I hope this happens. Doesn't bring your boy back though :(.

This is one of the most awful things I've ever read :( I'm so sorry for the way your dog was treated :(

I don't know who you could report this to, but I'd do it, without a doubt.

I'm a groomer and have worked for a couple of different salons on the Gold Coast - never again!! Only interested in the money, shoddy workmanship & ethics and that's certainly not for me...

I can't believe this business is still not 'officially' regulated... there are far too many cranks out there....

Again, so sorry for your loss...

Run free Buddy

Caz... I don't know what to say. My god. I am so sorry.

I would go after them for everything they're worth. Not because I wanted money but because taking money from people who would so blatantly disregard the welfare of the animals in their care is the only way to teach them a lesson.

Be strong xx