My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read this entire thread, have followed it since it started, but been unable to post as I could not find the words to express my outrage, sadness, disgust.

Cazstaff, I am so truly sorry that this happened to your poor boy. Obviously a very much loved member of your family, such a deplorable tragedy leaves a gaping hole that is impossible to fill. My thoughts go out to you, and as others have said, you and Buddy have not been far from my thoughts these past few days. I hope that in time the hole in your heart heals, filled with precious memories of your beautiful old boy taken too soon.

I commend your strength of character in standing up for Buddy's memory, and making sure these cretins are brought to task for such a disgusting and avoidable breach of their duty of care. If I could lend you my strength, it would be yours in a heartbeat, as I'm sure all here on DOL would.

I can't imagine the heartbreak you are living right now, just contemplating something like this happening to one of mine takes my breath away, but to actually have it happen is incomprehensible and entirely unforgivable.

:grouphug:

Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible

BUT ......

Buddy was up on a bench attached to the wall, like a shelf. He was attached by a short choker chain. Im not sure of the exact height of the bench. I want to go and see one day but not yet.

What sort of person wouldn't see the very obvious danger in leaving him there alone while they went outside for lunch

(quote)

It is possible it was bad work practice/inattention, rather than not seeing the danger. I have no idea of the set up, but it is possible that two poeple are in the room, one working on dog steps out believing the other would keep an eye out, second person does not see the dog/realise the responsibility had been left to them and leaves the room as well. It has happened with children (mum thinks dad is looking after the child, dad thinks mum is)

It does not make anyone feel better. The only reason I have written this is that if someone works in or knows a grooming salon it may be a reminder that tragic things can happen due to bad communication and non attention to best practice, as well as through not realising/acting on dangers.

Again - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible. Please don't think I am in anyway reducing any responsibility or horror at what happened.

The test would be like this - could they have reasonably foreseen that outcome?

Yes, a thousand time yes. A dog is not a statue.

Exactly - Of course a dog would want to jump off!!

I'm so sorry for your loss Cazstaff. I'm heartbroken that this could happen, & hope something is done so that this tragedy can never happen again :(

Yes, a thousand time yes. A dog is not a statue.

Exactly - Of course a dog would want to jump off!!

and he might not have even jumped off, he might have slipped, tried to lay down to rest, after all Buddy was 14 and had old bones. My young dogs would try and lie down, what dog just stands in one spot for 30 to 60 minutes?

This thread just haunts me and I don't have dogs that go to groomers.

I always stay in and help with the wash when I take my pei girl to my local groomer and I will be telling her 'Buddy's Story'. Not because I think she runs a bad practice but as a reminder of how precious our animals are and how we trust these groomers with their lives while they are in their care. I will ask her to share the story with her staff too.

Maybe others of you wish to do the same so collectively even good groomers don't get complacent about the trust we are placing in their staff and salon set ups. And any of you who have not stayed and watched while your dog is clipped and washed or even asked to see the set up out the back should do so immediately for your own piece of mind.

Don't let Buddy's loss be for nothing.

My groomer is literally 50 metres down the road from me and I pass them several times a day when walking mine and driving out from my street. Apart from the fact that next time I take any of my dogs, I will be telling them of Buddy's tragic story, I will also be asking them a few questions to ensure dogs are never left unattended on grooming tables.

I do recall being there once to book my dogs in and one of the groomers was in the middle of clipping a tethered dog, she said to ring me later as she couldn't leave the dog. As she was only a metre away from the counter where the diary was, I think this is a pretty fair indication that they never leave dogs unattended, no matter what, but I will be 1000% checking. :cry::cry:

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so pleased Buddy had you in his life as you clearly gave him a wonderful and loving home during his time with you.

I hope the groomer thinks of Buddy and how her need to feed her face overtook his safety each and every flipping time she takes a lunch break

It was pure laziness to leave a dog in that position and eat lunch, I simply cannot believe it. If this is a common practice there, I would have to wonder how many other dogs have been injured or worse previously.

Have to say that that has crossed my mind too.

Which is why, when she is able, not only for justice for Buddy, but for any others who may have been subjected to this totally unacceptable and dangerous practice, Caz will pursue this.

Well I brought Buddy up at a staff meeting at work with our Area Manager in attendance and we are creating a grooming protocol to ensure this never happens in one of our practices ever. I've never seen any of my coworkers do this, but I wanted to ensure that this serves as a reminder to us all that negligence can cause devastating consequences, not only to someone's beloved pet, but to the person who owns such a beautiful animal.

Every single staff member here was beyond horrified as I told them what had happened. No one could fathom how it has happened :(

Caz, every single staff member here wanted me to send you huge hugs and our best wishes and the promise that this will never happen here. We're all sending our best thoughts to you in this difficult time. *hugs*