My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

I think that every salon manager/vet practice/wherever groomers are employed needs to include a warning as part of their onboarding procedure - that if ever anyone is caught leaving a dog unattended on a grooming table, even for an instant - they will be given a warning and/or dismissed. There is no excuse, never ever.

I'm sure it is part of the training process but as someone earlier said, anyone can set themselves up as a groomer unfortunately.

Maybe it is worth contacting the manufacturers of the groomers' tables/equipment to see if there are warnings issued with them.

I did hear about this happenign to an ex Doggie Rescue dog in a nr Sydney city salon in 2012, not sure which place but I hope the owner took action against them.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner of the Groomers has just called me. She was very upset and sorry.

When I asked if she could please explain how such a thing could happen she told me that Buddy was left chained on a drying table while the girls were at lunch! :eek:

:mad :mad No one was in the room or even within ear shot. She obviously isnt trying to cover anything up, that is horrendous :cry:

It was only that the owner went to a customer at the front counter that she saw him hanging dead.

Are you kidding me :eek: WTF !!! This is going to send me insane, just too much.

She said if there is anything I want just tell her..... how about my precious boy being treated with a pinch of care!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, your support means the world to me.

:mad :mad Utterly incredible. I hope whoever was responsible for him has decided to quit grooming, because they clearly lack the common sense required to work around animals.

I think that every salon manager/vet practice/wherever groomers are employed needs to include a warning as part of their onboarding procedure - that if ever anyone is caught leaving a dog unattended on a grooming table, even for an instant - they will be given a warning and/or dismissed. There is no excuse, never ever.

In a professonial grooming salon it is drilled into you when first starting out. I don't know if they express the importance in grooming courses (i.e. TAFE).

I work in a salon. I also take lunch breaks. I don't leave my dog on the table while I am eating! I'd do it between dogs (finish one and then go onto the next) or I put the dog down on the ground (or let it sit on my lap while I eat :laugh: ). I'm at a loss as to what was running through that staff members head, and why NOBODY else said anything about it being left unattended!

As an ex-groomer I don't understand this either. I wouldn't leave a dog on the table to walk across the room :( The dog wouldn't have been in a choke chain either. Neither of which brings Buddy back or helps at all I guess :(

:cry::cry: i feel ill reading this. RIP sweet precious Buddy and gentle hugs to you.

I hope you are makes note re any conversations times and dates. This is negligence and at the very least some kind of legal action will hopefully ensure that those pitiful excuses for groomers will never ever again be in a position to put their lunch break before the safety of their clients dog. It is a disgrace.

H

Edited by dogbesotted

I do wonder how many other dogs may have been injured due to their practice, a dog would be very lucky not to break it's neck if it left off the table while tethered like that and no-one close enough to catch it........................

Buddy I still think of you and your mum and canine buddies every day. RIP sweet man.

This is one of the most distressing, shocking and traumatic stories I've ever heard. I am so sorry Buddy was treated so carelessly and that the results were so terrible.

Please remember the wonderful life you gave him in his twilight years. His last moments were terrible, but there were only moments. You gave him years of happiness and his own beloved pack to be a part of.

I hope you get justice for Buddy. xx

Yes OSS, I wondered the very same thing. How many poor Buddies have suffered the same horriic, totally careless end.

And yes, not a day has gone by since this very sad thread began that I have not thought of poor, heart broken Caz & very dear, lovely Buddy & teared up at the total bloody careless loss of a very much loved ageing boy to a very dedicated,devoted, NOW extemely heartbroken owner :(

Edited by BC Crazy

Thankyou so much for sharing Buddy's story Everythings Shiny,as shocking as it is. Can you please thank your fellow workers too for their hugs and best wishes. It really does help. :grouphug:

I miss him so very much, he was my shadow :heart:

Well I brought Buddy up at a staff meeting at work with our Area Manager in attendance and we are creating a grooming protocol to ensure this never happens in one of our practices ever. I've never seen any of my coworkers do this, but I wanted to ensure that this serves as a reminder to us all that negligence can cause devastating consequences, not only to someone's beloved pet, but to the person who owns such a beautiful animal.

Every single staff member here was beyond horrified as I told them what had happened. No one could fathom how it has happened :(

Caz, every single staff member here wanted me to send you huge hugs and our best wishes and the promise that this will never happen here. We're all sending our best thoughts to you in this difficult time. *hugs*

Thankyou so much to everyone who has sent me hugs, comfort and strength. The kind words and support really does help. And thankyou too for thinking of my beautiful Buddy boy, Im sure he can feel the love we have all been sending him.

I miss his nudging nose,more pats, more pats! I miss our big cuddles and rubbing my face in his gorgeous fur. I miss brushing him, he used to love being brushed. I miss his happy goldy smile he shared with everyone he met. I miss my Buddy :cry::cry:

Thankyou so much for sharing Buddy's story Everythings Shiny,as shocking as it is. Can you please thank your fellow workers too for their hugs and best wishes. It really does help. :grouphug:

I miss him so very much, he was my shadow :heart:

Well I brought Buddy up at a staff meeting at work with our Area Manager in attendance and we are creating a grooming protocol to ensure this never happens in one of our practices ever. I've never seen any of my coworkers do this, but I wanted to ensure that this serves as a reminder to us all that negligence can cause devastating consequences, not only to someone's beloved pet, but to the person who owns such a beautiful animal.

Every single staff member here was beyond horrified as I told them what had happened. No one could fathom how it has happened :(

Caz, every single staff member here wanted me to send you huge hugs and our best wishes and the promise that this will never happen here. We're all sending our best thoughts to you in this difficult time. *hugs*

Done :) :hug:

I come in here daily and I still get upset reading what you are going through :cry:

, perhaps..to those in the grooming industry - IF there is another rule/protocol drawn up ..perhaps it could be "Buddy's Protocol" or whatever?

I know the idea was thrown around here at the meeting about it being called the "Buddy's Grooming Legacy Protocol".

ETA - I'm still struggling to understand how it happened :( It's so mind boggling :cry:

Edited by Everythings Shiny

Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible

BUT ......

Buddy was up on a bench attached to the wall, like a shelf. He was attached by a short choker chain. Im not sure of the exact height of the bench. I want to go and see one day but not yet.

What sort of person wouldn't see the very obvious danger in leaving him there alone while they went outside for lunch

(quote)

It is possible it was bad work practice/inattention, rather than not seeing the danger. I have no idea of the set up, but it is possible that two poeple are in the room, one working on dog steps out believing the other would keep an eye out, second person does not see the dog/realise the responsibility had been left to them and leaves the room as well. It has happened with children (mum thinks dad is looking after the child, dad thinks mum is)

It does not make anyone feel better. The only reason I have written this is that if someone works in or knows a grooming salon it may be a reminder that tragic things can happen due to bad communication and non attention to best practice, as well as through not realising/acting on dangers.

Again - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible. Please don't think I am in anyway reducing any responsibility or horror at what happened.

The test would be like this - could they have reasonably foreseen that outcome?

I think the answer would be YES.....they are not called choker chains without a reason, and should never be left on a dog in any situation.....I heard of another incident where a choker was left on a pup in a backyard, with the same result........just plain stupid, irresponsible, neglect, laziness and negligent.......and in both cases done by people that are seen as being dog experts or professionals

Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible

BUT ......

Buddy was up on a bench attached to the wall, like a shelf. He was attached by a short choker chain. Im not sure of the exact height of the bench. I want to go and see one day but not yet.

What sort of person wouldn't see the very obvious danger in leaving him there alone while they went outside for lunch

(quote)

It is possible it was bad work practice/inattention, rather than not seeing the danger. I have no idea of the set up, but it is possible that two poeple are in the room, one working on dog steps out believing the other would keep an eye out, second person does not see the dog/realise the responsibility had been left to them and leaves the room as well. It has happened with children (mum thinks dad is looking after the child, dad thinks mum is)

It does not make anyone feel better. The only reason I have written this is that if someone works in or knows a grooming salon it may be a reminder that tragic things can happen due to bad communication and non attention to best practice, as well as through not realising/acting on dangers.

Again - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible - Not defending - not excusing - totally indefensible. Please don't think I am in anyway reducing any responsibility or horror at what happened.

The test would be like this - could they have reasonably foreseen that outcome?

I think the answer would be YES.....they are not called choker chains without a reason, and should never be left on a dog in any situation.....I heard of another incident where a choker was left on a pup in a backyard, with the same result........just plain stupid, irresponsible, neglect, laziness and negligent.......and in both cases done by people that are seen as being dog experts or professionals

As a rule here at work, if someone brings in a pet for any sort of hospitalisation, choker chained pets will not be accepted, they must come in with some other sort of restraint system.

Please remember the wonderful life you gave him in his twilight years. His last moments were terrible, but there were only moments. You gave him years of happiness and his own beloved pack to be a part of.

Beautifully said and so true.

It's all so sad. I like the idea of naming the protocol/policy after Buddy as that will serve as a reminder for your terrible and senseless loss.

I don't think it's just professional dog groomers that needs to be aware, everyone needs to know, anyone who uses a table to groom their dogs. When we were showing our male and he'd be tethered to the door (don't have a grooming arm), my husband would never leave his side and if he did, he'd call me to hold him. That is just common sense.

ETA: and we never used a chocker chain.

Edited by poochmad