My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

Guest muttrus

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm There are a number of questions Id be asking .While its hard to maybe think straight during such grief And hugs are all around but you must also get on top of this now.Any witnesses should be chased up before they forget or dare I say be paid off. Its wonderful the vet has offered help .

I would think buddy had been left alone not just had a groomer turn their back .had they been in the room he could have been saved.I would be asking the vet for a detailed report in writing Do salons have a libality clause? did you sign any doc or waver? Pardon me if I sound stupid I have owned dogs for over 20 years but believe it or not Ive never used a dog groomer or salon .Ive never seen inside one .Im purely thinking on what I would expect such a bussiness would/should have.

Please do report them I would hate to think this has happened before but hopefully you can make sure it NEVER happens again.

While I know any words I give can"t make this all go away I did feel for you after reading your story :cry:

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine what you must be going through right now Cazstaff. I'm so sorry for your loss. R.I.P Buddy :rainbowbridge:

I hope you do follow this up - it's just tragic. At the very least the groomer should be sacked, the practices of the salon be investigated, and you should be offered compensation. Just awful :(

Is the vet attached to the grooming salon?

Physically yes, they are under the same roof with separate entrances but I don't think there is any business connection.

I happen to use the vet, but as far as I am aware, they are two separate entities. Glad that the vet manager called to check on you. As someone else has said, I also believe the vets would have done everything they could.

Is the vet attached to the grooming salon?

Physically yes, they are under the same roof with separate entrances but I don't think there is any business connection.

I happen to use the vet, but as far as I am aware, they are two separate entities. Glad that the vet manager called to check on you. As someone else has said, I also believe the vets would have done everything they could.

Geez I'd be amazed if there was NO connection..... even if the Groomer is Sub-Contracted by the Veterinarian/Practice Owner.

IF (IF!!!) The groomer is simply leasing space from the clinic and there IS no association between them, then the Vet needs to rid itself of this Groomer ASAP, as it's new-found reputation will have great affect on the Clinic as well.

Cazstaff I am horrified the salon hasn't called you or shown any other consideration other than we are sorry just shocking.. I hope your able to sue or something this is just neglegence .. Wonderful that you were able to sleep beside him last night and have one last cuddle in the morning .. Rest in piece buddy fly high over that rainbow beautiful boy...

I'm also in this area and would suggest that you contact the local papers - if you feel you can't talk to them, maybe send them a link to this thread.

Absolutely horrified that this could happen - I send you huge healing hugs, Buddy would have known that he was very much loved.

Cazstaff I do hope the report you get from the vet is unbiased. Id imagine the salon might have already contacted a lawyer to know their position in this and so most likely have been told to not approach you on a personal basis..

Sad but they are a business.

Please write down everything you can, diary the goings on on the day & afterwards...who you spoke to, who said what, contact made. Yes I know you are grieving but it is still clear in your mind & things take time in such matters of liability so now is the time to lock in the details.

I think that in time this whole story should be made public in memory of your beloved Buddy & that no owner should have to suffer the loss you are going through.

Again I am nothing but sad for your loss.

Guest crickets

The other simple fact is anyone who uses a grooming arm knows to use a quick release attachment or something similar certainly not a choke chain

Absolutely THIS!

ALL tethers used inside a grooming salon (or even at home show/pet groomers) should be of a material that can be cut with scissors in an emergency &/or have a fast release clip on the neck forward of any locking device. I am a huge fan of front attach tethers as well because a dog that is tethered above & forward can usually right itself more or less immediately if it slips a foot or 2 off the table. Of course the groomer should be right there to assist with this because dogs do muck around, try to spin & back up & do slip, but the front/overhead combination makes it more difficult for the dog to hang.

Dogs pull all sorts of stunts on grooming tables, but we must also be vigilant for other issues such as heart failure, epileptic or idiopathic fitting and other sudden health issues that may result in the dog being unable to sustain a standing position in the tether. Unfortunately I have heard of cases where a groomer has kept grooming a dog unaware of the fact it was actually dead from heart failure & had slumped & hung itself. Some dogs just become incredibly agitated & stressed and do what I call 'the 5th leg' where they voluntarily raise both front feet and put all their weight onto the tether by supporting their weight with their neck! There are always ways to handle these dogs safely, we must just be vigilant for any sign of a problem and avert it.

Of course none of this takes out the pure negligence of turning your back on a tethered dog.

I don't think you are the suing kind Caz but I do hope you make complaints where appropriate so this particular salon and the staff who work there can never do this to another dog. The very least they can do out of respect for Buddy is change their practices immediately so no dog is left unattended on a table and that more appropriate restraints to a choker chain are used. In Buddy's name don't let this happen to another beloved pet.

And if the owner of the salon is uninterested in change then I would ensure she knew that you were part of a very large dog forum with many people already very keen on knowing and sharing the name of the salon. If they want to stay in business then it would be in their best interests to address any areas of negligence before word of mouth took over.

I don't think you are the suing kind Caz but I do hope you make complaints where appropriate so this particular salon and the staff who work there can never do this to another dog. The very least they can do out of respect for Buddy is change their practices immediately so no dog is left unattended on a table and that more appropriate restraints to a choker chain are used. In Buddy's name don't let this happen to another beloved pet.

And if the owner of the salon is uninterested in change then I would ensure she knew that you were part of a very large dog forum with many people already very keen on knowing and sharing the name of the salon. If they want to stay in business then it would be in their best interests to address any areas of negligence before word of mouth took over.

Even if they did address the issues, I for one, wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole.

I know there are some fantastic groomers, but honestly, this has actually put me off ever using a groomer again :(

Edited by Aussie3