My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pain you are going through must be beyond tremendous Cazstaff :cry: My heart goes out to you. You so miss your very beautiful Buddy boy :angel:

but you know he isn't far away as he is forever & always in your heart & etched in your mind which is filled with all those exceptionally fond memories that

no one can ever take from you :heart::hug:

Not a day goes by that I don't think of you both & I hope in some small way this helps keep you strong.

Edited by BC Crazy

Like everyone else here Caz, I think of you and Buddy and your family everyday and the heartache you are going through. Hope the rest of your pack are coming to terms with a buddy's loss, it must be hard for them too.

Beautiful photos.

This has also reminded me of the reason I joined DOL. A heavily matted Keeshond had been left in the care of my elderly parents and needed rehoming, so a breeder friend posted on DOL for me and I joined to see what other assistance might be available on here for homeless pure bred dogs. His owners had been thrown out of their accom and eventually fessed up that they were unlikely to be taking the dog back. We asked them to at least take him to the groomers and have his matting attended to. Whoever they took him to shore him back to his skin so badly that he suffered severe razor burn all over his boy bits. We had to take him to the vet so it could be treated as he was in so much pain. I tried to find out who the groomer was so I could contact them about it but the original owners were hard to track down.

I gave a dog mild burn on his boy bits just last week. It was only slightly noticeable, but it was easy enough to do as the dog had just so many matts there and the skin is so delicate. It is easier to do than you think and then if the dog licks at it it can really flare up. Of course, I told the owner and said if she was alarmed that I would cover the vet bill. She phoned me a few days later to tell me it had gone. I wouldnt rubbish a groomer for that when the dog was in such awful condition to start with. Grooming is harder than people think! Ive sliced open a dogs tail before (tail was previously broken and crooked at the tip but was a ball of matts so when I was slicing open the matts I didnt realise the tail went the wrong way and accidentally sliced it). Ive also nicked a Schnauzers ear and there has been the odd ball rash from matts. This in about 15yrs - it happens. But now, I refuse to dematt ANYTHING. Everything comes off. If they dont like it they can come and collect their dog.

Hi Caz,

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult time for you - knowing not only that your beloved Goldie's death was preventable but also that it was gruesome.

I am assuming you are in NSW?

There is a code of practice for animals in grooming salons:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/livestock/animal-welfare/codes/aw-code-8

And here is a link to make a complaint about non-compliant industry sectors:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/livestock/animal-welfare/complaints/enforcement

Furthermore, given that animals are considered property under NSW law, you certainly would have grounds to sue for negligence and perhaps even to claim damages for emotional trauma suffered.

I would encourage you to go after these bastards because somebody has to stand up for the animals, who can't press charges or file suits themselves... Also, remember that this is a (terrible) practice that goes on in MANY grooming parlours in NSW every day and it is only a matter of time before it happens again. Only you can stop that, by taking the appropriate legal action.

Wishing you the best of luck :)

Bella

Such a sad story, R.I.P Buddy :( Working in a boarding kennel, I have bathed a lot of dogs, and I have had them fall/jump off on me before when they have been wearing a restraint. We use safety knots, so that it can be undone with one pull if the dog falls, or we lift them back up if that fails. Dogs are never ever EVER left alone on the grooming table or in the bath, and certainly not when going on a lunch break! I hope the culprit has been appropriately punished and will learn a VERY important lesson for their mistake. I hope you can meet a resolution soon, though you will never get your beautiful boy back, perhaps some compenstation will be a friendly reminder to that buisness that you cant give someone's pet second rate service!!

Lovely photos, Cavstaff, thank you for posting them. What a gorgeous face. I still think he is wise and kind.

Don't blame yourself, and don't beat yourself up thinking he suffered unbearably for a long time - remember what I said earlier - he is happy now.

Thankyou so much for asking after me Snook and Missymoo. Its been 3 long weeks now and today I finally got the first bit of good news.

The AWL Inspector called me to let me know after 'investigating' they had decided to charge the salon owner under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals act for failing to provide adequate care. Its the highest fine ($1000) they can issue with out taking it to court. I am so pleased that there has been official recognition of the horrid thing that happenned and that it was her fault!!

The Inspector has also ordered changes to procedures and ensured me they will keep checking up to make sure they do everything they have been told to or they will be fined again.

There are other things happenning too that I hope to be able to share with all you kind hearted people who have kept me afloat through this mad nightmare.

Buddy has left such a huge gap! I find myself getting teary over silly things like the longer grass patches on the front lawn from where he would wee. They are tangible things from him being here that I don't want to go away, is that crazy?

My dad (and mum when she was alive) has always been a Goldy lover,he was secretary of the GR Club years ago and has had Goldies for decades. When I adopted Buddy dad said 'now you've done it!' 'There is nothing that compares to Goldy love and once you have known it you can't live with out it!' I think he was right :cry: :cry:

Cazstaff - that is good news , and I hope now that the owner will re think procedures and that staff will now operate differently.

It is so hard looking at those things ....and remembering/mourning . I've been there quite a few times now ,as have others - and while everyone is different , the pain is still the same .

:hug:

Thankyou so much for asking after me Snook and Missymoo. Its been 3 long weeks now and today I finally got the first bit of good news.

The AWL Inspector called me to let me know after 'investigating' they had decided to charge the salon owner under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals act for failing to provide adequate care. Its the highest fine ($1000) they can issue with out taking it to court. I am so pleased that there has been official recognition of the horrid thing that happenned and that it was her fault!!

The Inspector has also ordered changes to procedures and ensured me they will keep checking up to make sure they do everything they have been told to or they will be fined again.

There are other things happenning too that I hope to be able to share with all you kind hearted people who have kept me afloat through this mad nightmare.

Buddy has left such a huge gap! I find myself getting teary over silly things like the longer grass patches on the front lawn from where he would wee. They are tangible things from him being here that I don't want to go away, is that crazy?

My dad (and mum when she was alive) has always been a Goldy lover,he was secretary of the GR Club years ago and has had Goldies for decades. When I adopted Buddy dad said 'now you've done it!' 'There is nothing that compares to Goldy love and once you have known it you can't live with out it!' I think he was right :cry: :cry:

I havent posted much but so glad they are being charged.

I am so sorry for your loss

as for the long grass, not silly at all. It took me months to start to fix things from Atlas, the shit killed a bed 2 days before he died and it took me months to be able to pick up the rubbish :o