My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou for your kindness everyone :grouphug: It has meant the world to me.

I recieved the official AWL statement today, it sounds so mild compared to the event...

‘Animal Welfare League NSW Inspectors investigated an incident at a dog grooming salon in the Penrith area, where a dog died whilst it was left unattended, chained on a grooming table. The organisation in question has been issued with formal directions to ensure that this type of incident is not repeated and issued with an infringement notice for “failing to provide adequate care”. The directions that have been issued have been complied with, no further action will be taken against the organisation by AWL Inspectors.

A submission is being prepared for the Department of Primary Industries with a view to amending the NSW Animal Welfare Code of Practice in relation to Animals in Pet Grooming Establishments to ensure that an accident of this nature does not occur again.

by Damien Thiele, Head of Inspectorate Dept AWL

I still miss him every day :cry: I have thrown myself into study to keep my head busy.

Thankyou for your kindness everyone :grouphug: It has meant the world to me.

I recieved the official AWL statement today, it sounds so mild compared to the event...

‘Animal Welfare League NSW Inspectors investigated an incident at a dog grooming salon in the Penrith area, where a dog died whilst it was left unattended, chained on a grooming table. The organisation in question has been issued with formal directions to ensure that this type of incident is not repeated and issued with an infringement notice for “failing to provide adequate care”. The directions that have been issued have been complied with, no further action will be taken against the organisation by AWL Inspectors.

A submission is being prepared for the Department of Primary Industries with a view to amending the NSW Animal Welfare Code of Practice in relation to Animals in Pet Grooming Establishments to ensure that an accident of this nature does not occur again.

by Damien Thiele, Head of Inspectorate Dept AWL

I still miss him every day :cry: I have thrown myself into study to keep my head busy.

yes, it all sounds so matter of fact and doesn't describe the horrible way he suffered, but I thought the last paragraph was significant, and I hope some good comes of it.

I'm liking the sound of this bit quite a bit... hopefully Buddy's legacy will see some changes in the slack laws currently surrounding incidents like this.

T.

Sad isn't it. So official and so removed from all the anguish suffered. :cry::cry:

It isn't easy to cling to the parts of the report that may help other dogs and their owners in the future, but I know Caz's big heart will do this.

I am so sorry for your terrible loss,

and so angry too. This was completely inexcusable.

It’s times like this when I envy the USA’s legal system, where you could sue them for damages and effectively put them out of business. Seems like the law is rather weak (in NSW?) I’d have thought that somebody should face prosecution over this. Wouldn’t bring your beautiful boy back, but might at least provide some comfort that it was less likely to happen again.

I'm liking the sound of this bit quite a bit... hopefully Buddy's legacy will see some changes in the slack laws currently surrounding incidents like this.

T.

Yes, when it comes to official statements, unfortunately, no matter what the actual feelings of the people behind the scenes having to issue them, sometimes because of how the law is written they can sound very cold.

From the sound of it they do recognise that the law is not currently adequate in these types of situations, and while they have applied the law as written, are taking steps to make it stronger.

No help at all in the current situation I know, but it is something positive to take out of this.

T.

So sad when you have to review what is essentially the first rule of the Grooming table. This is what happens with complacency. Glad you had the strength to follow through for Buddy. RIP beautiful boy. :angel:

Having been a Groomer for many years (now retired!) I still have a keen interest in the industry.

I was shocked today to find while Googling, an image taken within an Australian Dog Grooming School, with a dog in the background unsupervised on a table with his neck in a noose. If this is considered "ok" in a Grooming School, what hope do new graduates have of developing safe practices???? It's shameful.

Having been a Groomer for many years (now retired!) I still have a keen interest in the industry.

I was shocked today to find while Googling, an image taken within an Australian Dog Grooming School, with a dog in the background unsupervised on a table with his neck in a noose. If this is considered "ok" in a Grooming School, what hope do new graduates have of developing safe practices???? It's shameful.

One of the "legacies" of Buddy's terrible demise should be that each of us be more willing to speak up when we do observe dangerous situations. Perhaps email the business involved here and raise the point?

Caz, I just had a thought.

Although the subject matter is too sad for ACA and TDTN, perhaps ABC's Stateline might be interested in the story? They did a report on the Orijen cats. It's not a huge audience but it's an influential one.

It could be approached more from the 'this is an unregulated industry with cowboys' angle?

Buddy's legacy remains just by the awareness raised in this thread, though - and word of mouth.

- and word of mouth.

The first time I took my dogs to the groomers, they had heard of Buddy's tragedy. In fact, the man knew the salon involved, so the word of mouth is definitely going ahead.

I still believe media involvement is called for to make the public more aware.