My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

So did I, Tralee.

The story has been shared multiple times among the Facebook grooming groups I'm a member of, the only difference is now the place is being named and shamed (and it's truly disgusting how many people are not surprised or have had negative experiences themselves).

I would urge groomers to PLEASE not try to promote themselves (ie "we never do that at my salon xxx in xxx") because it only cheapens Buddy's memory. I've seen this 3 separate times on different FB posts and to be honest it makes me feel a bit sick :(

Edited by Panzer Attack

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what Caz I'm happy TT and ACA don't want to do some bullshit emotive story on this issue. The only people interested in that will be local people and perhaps other groomers who will watch it and go 'tsk, tsk!'. What DOL has is dog ownership power across every single state of this country. Because of Buddy's story I have shared my absolute disgust on how he was 'managed' while in the care of a third party with my local groomer and my vet. My vet and the vet nurses make sure to mention appropriate care of dog while at a groomers with their new customers/new pet owners (inc puppy school). Not only that I have shared it with every single friend I know who has a dog that goes to a groomer. They have started questioning their groomers about their practices and watching how their dogs behave when arriving at the salon and upon pick up. They have also shared Buddy's Story with their friends and family who use groomers. They have all said to me that they never thought to question their groomers about how they treat their beloved pets when in their care. They simply leave their dogs, come back, pay the money and leave without giving it a second thought.

But no more. People do care about these things. They love their animals and couldn't bear to share the same experience as you. Buddy's Story has been a very powerful one that I think is spreading far and wide to the people that matter - loving pet owners. In turn they are placing expectations on their local groomers and know the questions to ask before placing their pets in their care. That is the kind of change that truly matters, not that the media didn't consider this story more important than a sports star in trouble for acting inappropriately in public.

Hugs to you honey - have faith that the message in general is getting out far wider than your local community and you have every right to name the salon responsible. The facts have been told quite simply and they have been proven to be true. What happens to that salon now is up to them while we dog owners take responsibility for our own charges by having this knowledge. This is Buddy's legacy to all us.

You know what Caz I'm happy TT and ACA don't want to do some bullshit emotive story on this issue. The only people interested in that will be local people and perhaps other groomers who will watch it and go 'tsk, tsk!'. What DOL has is dog ownership power across every single state of this country. Because of Buddy's story I have shared my absolute disgust on how he was 'managed' while in the care of a third party with my local groomer and my vet. My vet and the vet nurses make sure to mention appropriate care of dog while at a groomers with their new customers/new pet owners (inc puppy school). Not only that I have shared it with every single friend I know who has a dog that goes to a groomer. They have started questioning their groomers about their practices and watching how their dogs behave when arriving at the salon and upon pick up. They have also shared Buddy's Story with their friends and family who use groomers. They have all said to me that they never thought to question their groomers about how they treat their beloved pets when in their care. They simply leave their dogs, come back, pay the money and leave without giving it a second thought.

But no more. People do care about these things. They love their animals and couldn't bear to share the same experience as you. Buddy's Story has been a very powerful one that I think is spreading far and wide to the people that matter - loving pet owners. In turn they are placing expectations on their local groomers and know the questions to ask before placing their pets in their care. That is the kind of change that truly matters, not that the media didn't consider this story more important than a sports star in trouble for acting inappropriately in public.

Hugs to you honey - have faith that the message in general is getting out far wider than your local community and you have every right to name the salon responsible. The facts have been told quite simply and they have been proven to be true. What happens to that salon now is up to them while we dog owners take responsibility for our own charges by having this knowledge. This is Buddy's legacy to all us.

I don't quite understand your tsk tsk comment...every Groomer that I have been in communication with since this tragedy is absolutely disgusted and sickened that this was allowed to happen. I doubt there were many Groomers in Australia who did not hear about this within the first 48 hours and the reaction was totally one of disgust and dismay and great sadness from each and every one..certainly no tsk tsk.

I did not mean that in a negative context towards groomers and actually regretted posting those actual words after I'd logged out. I really meant that a good groomer might want to watch that story to see what happened then shake their head in disbelief. So I meant 'tsk, tsk' in a sad way (like my mum would do) not in a smug context at all. Caz is a special person to me and I was writing it to her (with some anger), trying to express that her story may have had a limited audience and affected no real change through those mass media programs. They do localise them so I would not necessarily get that story up here in QLD and they are so into over-sensationalising the crux of the story can be lost.

What is happening here on DOL between dog lovers and those working in this industry is far more powerful. And you have now added that groomers far and wide heard about Buddy's Story and were horrified, which to me is so important because the general public do think groomers love dogs, know how to manage them and would do everything to keep them safe. At the very least you assume they have common sense and appropriate equipment. We now know that is not the case with this particular salon. It is like a Dr operating with rusty instruments and watching his favourite footy team play the finals at the same time - not good enough!

So to all our wonderful groomers out there - you do a job I am not capable of doing and I commend you for it as I'm sure you see some terribly neglected but well loved pets. I have a local salon tucked away in a side street I go to and it is tiny and often messy but they are great people who love what they do and I am always allowed out the back to help with bathing and nail cutting on my dogs - they have always cared as much for me and my needs as they have for my dogs and the numerous fosters I have taken there. It is the type of place that suits me and in turn my dogs, even though I know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I dropped my handsome old GR Buddy off to the groomers this morning for a bath and groom, I hugged and kissed him, told him to enjoy his pampering and that Id be back for him soon. God how I wish I could go back and not leave him :cry: :cry:

About 3 hours later he was dead, they had put him up on a table with a choker chain and left him unattended long enough for him to fall off and strangle to death....Im devestated that my precious darling boy was treated so carelessly as to cost him his life.

I cant stop going over what a terrible death it would have been for him and I wasn't with him :cry: :cry:

They took him to the vet next door when they found him hanging and the vets tried to bring him back but he was too far gone.

I brought him home and Pets at Peace will pick him up in the morning. It doesnt seem real.

Im so shattered, I can't stop sobbing but Im also as mad as hell and feel that something should be done about it. Its not a random accident it was straight up negligence :mad :mad Any suggestions on what I can do if anything would be appreciated. I don't want this to happen to any other beloved pet.

RIP my precious Buddy, Im so very sorry :cry:

P1110122_zpsc347cc49.jpg

Just wondering if you tried contacting 'The Project' to see if they'd be interested in covering it.

Dr Chris is on the panel so that might be a goer.

I was thinking the same thing. Charlie Pickering is a huge animal lover as well.

• 2 months later...

Purina GroomQuest 2013 have introduced an annual perpetual 'Buddy Award' to be presented each year. They have asked me to go to the show at Castle Hill at the end of August to judge and present it.

How lovely that Buddy will be remembered and groomers reminded each year. I am so grateful to Les and Christine the organisers of Groom Quest for doing this.

I miss my old man so much :(

Here is a link to the Groom Quest page for Buddy.

Buddys GroomQuest page

Edited by Cazstaff

What a lovely thought - and also a very practical way of keeping this issue at the front of the minds of those working in the grooming industry.

I'm really pleased to hear that this is happening.

I hope you're doing ok. It must be hard to be reminded all the time, although I'm sure he's never really far from your thoughts.

I am new here, and saw this post today about the award in Buddys honour. I didn't know the story so I read the first post and a couple of hours and 49 pages later I just wanted to pass on my condolences to Caz and I feel deeply sad for your loss and for your beloved Buddy. I know you will cherish the many wonderful memories of your time together.

I am so glad that there is some good to come from this horrible tragedy - this being greater education to others and a tribute by way of a prize in Buddys honour.

Take care, and RIP Buddy

Jase

Way to go Groomquest! An awesome recognition of the need for groomers to maintain great welfare standards as well as having good grooming skills.

What a positive way for sweet Buddy to be remembered!

T.

What a wonderful tribute to lovely Buddy cazstaff...

We know through very unfortunately nothing will bring him back but he is indirectly raising peoples awareness & groomer's safety standards.

Even if it saves one beautiful dog from suffering the same horrific end that your boy did :( then it is a big positive change.

I was only thinking of Buddy & yourself the other day. Hoping for some positive news & this is it !!

Hugs & total admiration for your sheer guts through such heartbreak.....

Edited by BC Crazy