My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

I read this thread when it first appeared and I felt so sorry for poor Buddy and his owners. Yes I shed a few tears and I was and still am angry with the grooming establishment. Poor buddy! Poor owner!

It left me fearful of ever leaving my boy at a groomers. I started using a mobile service so I could watch out my window to make sure he was safe. Yesterday I booked him in at a salon, and I was concerned when the groomer left a dog on the table to come and serve me. I asked her if the dog was safe and she gave me the 'you crazy old woman' look. I felt intimidated and made the booking but today I am wondering if I should cancel.

Am I being an over anxious mother? How can I make sure my boy will be safe?

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this thread when it first appeared and I felt so sorry for poor Buddy and his owners. Yes I shed a few tears and I was and still am angry with the grooming establishment. Poor buddy! Poor owner!

It left me fearful of ever leaving my boy at a groomers. I started using a mobile service so I could watch out my window to make sure he was safe. Yesterday I booked him in at a salon, and I was concerned when the groomer left a dog on the table to come and serve me. I asked her if the dog was safe and she gave me the 'you crazy old woman' look. I felt intimidated and made the booking but today I am wondering if I should cancel.

A good groomer will not leave a dog on the table ever. Even if you are a few meters away the dog could still fall off and snap its neck. I would cancel.

A good groomer will not leave a dog on the table ever. Even if you are a few meters away the dog could still fall off and snap its neck. I would cancel.

Thankyou. That is what I was thinking.

The only way you can be sure your dog is safe is to use a mobile groomer & stand & watch while he is being done. Most dogs do not misbehave because the owner is there.

Cancel the appointment. Its not impressive already so who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

OMG I've only just read this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have shared your story in FB as I'm so disgusted. My cousin is a journalist with some national magazines/ newspapers and I have suggested to her that she should do an exposé on the grooming industry.

Cancel. Also maybe point then towards Buddy's story so they understand why.

Totally agree. No one in the grooming business should make you feel "crazy old lady". Of course they must get the same concern from owners dozens of times a week. However, they have elected to go into that trade and should learn to understand and respond appropriately to an owner's concern.

The groomers I use now have the headphones so they can answer the phone. They don't leave a dog on the table even though they may be grooming a metre away.

Thankyou. I have cancelled but I did not say why. I am a total chicken and I find young people (especially some young women) quite scary.

It was one of the new grooming salons attached to a pet store which has a window where you can see the dogs being clipped. I watched for a bit and they seemed quite good with the dogs so I made the appointment. When I thought about it later I realised they kept dogs in cages out the back and you did not see the dog being washed or dried. I don't like it when they use hair dryers on dogs in cages and I could not see what they did.

So I have cancelled and I do feel relieved. I will go back to my mobile groomer who doesn't clip his nails although it's supposed to be part of the service.

I'm glad you cancelled. It takes 30 seconds to get them down and safely crate them while serving someone at the front desk.

If the mobile groomer is supposed to clip his nails then make sure she does! Don't feel intimidated about it, you are paying for a service. You could always just say 'oh would you mind checking his nails, they have been really noisy lately with their clicking' etc etc.

Thankyou. I have cancelled but I did not say why. I am a total chicken and I find young people (especially some young women) quite scary....

So I have cancelled and I do feel relieved. I will go back to my mobile groomer who doesn't clip his nails although it's supposed to be part of the service.

Good on you, nawnim. You did the right thing. You would have left a tiny seed in that young woman's mind, that someone noticed a potential problem & had the gumption to mention it.

You've got life experience ... with the wisdom that comes with it. So don't let any of the younger (or older!) people scare you.

I'm glad you cancelled. It takes 30 seconds to get them down and safely crate them while serving someone at the front desk.

If the mobile groomer is supposed to clip his nails then make sure she does! Don't feel intimidated about it, you are paying for a service. You could always just say 'oh would you mind checking his nails, they have been really noisy lately with their clicking' etc etc.

As Clyde says. If you are paying for a service then you should be getting it.

If you feel intimidated (and I can completely empathise :( ) drop them a copy of this thread and tell them you are watching them.

Good on you, nawnim. You did the right thing. You would have left a tiny seed in that young woman's mind, that someone noticed a potential problem & had the gumption to mention it.

Sadly, I doubt it.

I doubt it also - more likely she just thinks Nawnim is neurotic. I get the same looks at groomers and kennels when I try to explain my dog's problems - you can tell they are not really taking it in and think I am over worried.

Nawnim did the absolutely right thing in cancelling. You would think there would not be many groomers who have not heard Buddy's story by now. :(

Thankyou to all for your advice.

Rosetta do you really think groomers everywhere know about Buddy? When I made the appointment I did try to explain why I was concerned that she had left the dog unattended and I wanted to know my boy would be safe. I just got the glazed expression and then she murmured something to the effect that everyone loves their dogs.

OMG I've only just read this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have shared your story in FB as I'm so disgusted. My cousin is a journalist with some national magazines/ newspapers and I have suggested to her that she should do an exposé on the grooming industry.

I think this could be a good idea but I don't want to suggest that all groomers are not to be trusted. There are some good ones out there who love dogs and who treat their charges well.

Thankyou to all for your advice.

Rosetta do you really think groomers everywhere know about Buddy? When I made the appointment I did try to explain why I was concerned that she had left the dog unattended and I wanted to know my boy would be safe. I just got the glazed expression and then she murmured something to the effect that everyone loves their dogs.

No, realistically, I guess not but I am sure the word was spread within the industry. I hope so anyway as I am sure that was one of Caz's goals.

The groomer members from Pets Australia have spread Buddy's story far and wide... and were very helpful to Cazstaff when it all happened too. I'm tipping one of them to win the Buddy award at Groomquest... *grin*

T.