What Do You Feed When You Run Out Of 'normal' Food?

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Labradork

What do you feed your dogs when you run out of their 'normal' food? Do you have back-up supplies?

(For the dry feeders) Do you prefer a particular brand?

I couldn't get the meat I wanted from the butcher today, or from any of the supermarkets. I left it too late and they had all run out. I have some dry food on order but it is unusually slow and hasn't arrived.

I ended up buying some Nature's Gift canned food; and tonight I made them some tuna with steamed/mashed vegies, brown rice, yoghurt and flaxseed oil - enough to last a week.

I have been in touch with Woolies and they are ordering in some of those Vets All Natural rolls - I'm planning to freeze them and use them as a back-up supply.

I have heard of people who don't feed their dogs every day, but mine wouldn't cope with that. And I would feel terrible eating in front of them while they were hungry!

Edited by Labradork

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Nature's Gift canned food as emergency backup (like, real dire emergencies, it's probably been used once in the 13 months I've had Max :laugh: ) We always have people meat in the freezer, more than once they have my mums steak or whatever meat for dinner while she had crackers and water (so to speak).

But I make my guys food, and buy carcasses etc in bulk so rarely run out.

Edited by minimax

Guest Labradork

I have some Nature's Gift and I'll use that until I try the Vets All Natural Rolls...

My problem with the rolls is they contain kangaroo offal; and I don't like the idea of feeding offal to my dogs(because it means having to give them more worming tablets). Though the Vets All Natural people say that kangaroo offal is okay because it isn't farmed.

Edited by Labradork

I have Nature's Gift canned food as emergency backup (like, real dire emergencies, it's probably been used once in the 13 months I've had Max :laugh: ) We always have people meat in the freezer, more than once they have my mums steak or whatever meat for dinner while she had crackers and water (so to speak).

But I make my guys food, and buy carcasses etc in bulk so rarely run out.

Occasionaly, I have fed them my chicken fillets (and I have eaten vegetarian for a week).

I have some Nature's Gift at the moment and I'll use that until I try the Vets All Natural Rolls. My problem with the rolls is they contain kangaroo offal, and I don't like the idea of feeding my dogs offal (because it means having to give them more worming tablets). Though the Vets All Natural people say that kangaroo offal is okay because it isn't farmed.

I'm vegetarian, but I live with omni's, so there is meat around. Nature's gift is the best of the canned food, but it's still canned food.

But if you can't get the meat you want at the butchers, surely any other meat from the butchers is better than canned food?

Guest Labradork

I just checked my emails and the dry food is waiting for me at the post office :)

I only feed them chicken or lamb and both butchers had run out (I live in a country town) and the stuff at the supermarket looked green! I have organised a standing order with the butcher so this doesn't happen again.

Oh sorry, I meant that I would only feed them canned food as back up. I agree that canned food isn't very nutritious but is okay in emergencies.

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

I've never run out of their 'normal food'. I guess I'm just really well organised..... or anal. :D

You are very clever :)

btw

I wasn't being sarcastic or rude.

I thought I had better explain... You can't always tell on the interwebs!

Edited by Labradork

If I couldn't get their regular MEAT food for one meal they'd get an egg with dry food.

If there was no DRY food they'd get meat with nothing else for that meal - or a slice of bread if I felt especially kind :)

For a dire emergency I would be happy feeding them virtually anything - canned, dry, meat, bone, canned fish, egg, pasta with some cheese.

Nature's Gift is OK for canned, use it when we're away for a long-ish road trip to a show & haven't had one get the runs or turn their nose up at it (unlike the Royal Canin experiment which didn't end well :eek:)

I've never run out of their 'normal food'. I guess I'm just really well organised..... or anal. :D

You are very clever :)

btw

I wasn't being sarcastic or rude.

I thought I had better explain... You can't always tell on the interwebs!

:laugh: It's all good. You didn't need to explain.

Same :D Yes, I think anal is the correct word for us Anne :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I keep a few cans of home brand mackerel in oil in the cupboard and mix it with mixed veggies from the freezer. Failing that I whip down to the local supermarket and buy human grade meats on special and failing that its my scotch fillet from the freezer! I have been known to make them 'pasta bake' - canned fish, juice from the can mixed through pasta.

ETA: I keeps a small bag of grain free dry food on hand - buts its an absolutely desperate last resort. :)

Edited by westiemum

We used to have a couple of tins of pal sitting in the pantry that had been sitting there for years. I actually have no idea where they came from, because you couldn't pay me to buy that stuff, I'd rather they starved for a day before I fed them that drivel. Eventually I realised they were about 2 years out of date, so I fed them to the rats. If we run out, which hasn't happened yet, they get leftovers. I'll pretty much do a fridge/pantry raid and they get whatever looks good enough/looks like it won't kill them. I'm not too concerned about what goes in to them for a short duration, they're usually fed a decent quality dry food, plus they eat the mankiest god-knows-what they found in the yard on a regular basis.

If I was completely strapped and had to grab them something from the supermarket, I'd just get a couple kilos of whatever meat was cheapest.

Never run out of food for the boys as they get barf and canidae puresea ... but they have had slightly leaner days where I had to stretch their existing dry food for a couple extra days until I could get to the shops.

If I had run out of dry then they would probably get a frozen chicken (our food) or most supermarkets have bones, chicken frames, turkey wings/legs.

Don't run out as I order in good time. If I haven't for some reason then the pet shop that stocks it too is open until 7 so I can get it on my way home.

Worse case scenario I'd grab a bag from work.

If I fail at all of the above I'd stop and buy mince and chicken wings at the supermarket.

No brand sardines in water kept in pantry

go via the butcher/supermarket and get mince, cook it up (or leave it raw) and add some frozen mixed vegies and rice

chicken wings

all the above are pretty cheap resources and pretty good for the dogs, you can keep the mince/vegies/rice in the freezer as you can chicken wings

I've given old boxes of cereal in the past, mixed with what dry food I had. I've cooked up masses of boiled rice. But if its just one day, they can generally go without. Only two dogs in my place who I wont let go without a meal now and then, one is too old (and will complain non stop) and the other is too thin and will loose weight if she misses a meal.

Guest Clover

It would be pretty rare for me to run out of food for the dogs. If I do I just grab them chicken necks or wings from the supermarket or optimum dry. They'll eat what ever and I don't fuss too much these days with keeping to strict diets.