Oscar Has Another Lump!

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Labradork

I just found another lump on Oscar!

This one is on the top of his right leg and it is the seventh lump he has had since September (he had five removed just before Christmas)!

What am I going to do? I can't keep getting him cut open. I'm going to call his vet in the morning :cry:

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

My vet is on leave until 14 January... Bummer.

My sister and I have decided that Oscar should live with me permanently... The plan was for him to go and join her in the UK once she had settled, but a few weeks after she left I found the first lump.

I have become so attached to him that I could see myself getting more Pugs (and Frenchies).

Edited by Labradork

What are the lumps?

I understand what you are feeling. My pug, Boof, has just undergone his third surgery since September to remove problematic lumps. Some were just lipomas and others are MCTs. He also had an MCT removed about 3.5 years ago.

I'm glad Oscar is staying with you, the stress on him going to the UK would probably be a bit much.

When you're ready for another pug, I know a great breeder in Ballarat :D

Oscar would probably love a brother or sister :D

Edited by minimax

Guest Labradork

What are the lumps?

I understand what you are feeling. My pug, Boof, has just undergone his third surgery since September to remove problematic lumps. Some were just lipomas and others are MCTs. He also had an MCT removed about 3.5 years ago.

I saw your thread and I haven't read it all yet. I thought it best to give Oscar his own little space in the Palliative Care forum, just in case :cry:

All of the lumps so far have been Mast Cell Tumours. I'm not sure what this one is though. My vet is on leave until 14 January, so I will have to wait and see. There are three vets in my area and she is the best in my opinion.

All of his previous lumps were Grade 1 with clear margins and it was pretty straightforward.

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

I'm glad Oscar is staying with you, the stress on him going to the UK would probably be a bit much.

When you're ready for another pug, I know a great breeder in Ballarat :D

Oscar would probably love a brother or sister :D

Okay, thanks :)

I love black Pugs and I would like a girl. I would also like a pied Frenchie.

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

An update on Oscar...

I took him to the vet this morning for more tests, and got the result back for his last lump... It was just a fatty cyst (not a Lymphoma, Minimax, sorry!) :)

I have decided that, if he has more cancer, I'm not going to have him operated on again - I'm just going to let it go :(

I might sound emotionally detached, but that's because I have already cried so much that I don't feel I need to anymore... Well, not for the moment :(

So far, he has had 8 lumps!

Good news that it is a fatty cyst and whilst the last week or so no doubt has been very stressful while you've been worrying about what it is...if nothing else it has obviously helped you crystallise your decision as to what you will do if he ever gets another one.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and that Oscar remains lump free. And I don't think you sound emotionally detached, no one wants to have to make these kind of decisions and you do what you have to do in the best interests of the dog.

Be kind to yourself.

Guest Labradork

Good news that it is a fatty cyst and whilst the last week or so no doubt has been very stressful while you've been worrying about what it is...if nothing else it has obviously helped you crystallise your decision as to what you will do if he ever gets another one.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and that Oscar remains lump free. And I don't think you sound emotionally detached, no one wants to have to make these kind of decisions and you do what you have to do in the best interests of the dog.

Be kind to yourself.

Thanks for your kind thoughts :)

eta

Sorry, I forgot to say... He has another two lumps (he has had 8 lumps in total)!

Edited by Labradork

There is always hope. I had a desexed female GWP with several lumps on her abdomen. The vet did a biopsy and informed some were only fatty lumps, some cancerous. So I waited for her to get worse, it never happened, she lived for a great 16 years. Wishing Oscar well.

Great news it wasn't anything bad. How old is Oscar now?

If Boof develops more lumps I will also have to consider more surgery or not. His poor legs have been cut up so much removing them. I will consider it if it occurs though and take into account his age and prognosis at the time.

Guest Labradork

There is always hope. I had a desexed female GWP with several lumps on her abdomen. The vet did a biopsy and informed some were only fatty lumps, some cancerous. So I waited for her to get worse, it never happened, she lived for a great 16 years. Wishing Oscar well.

Guest Labradork

Great news it wasn't anything bad. How old is Oscar now?

If Boof develops more lumps I will also have to consider more surgery or not. His poor legs have been cut up so much removing them. I will consider it if it occurs though and take into account his age and prognosis at the time.

It was a relief getting the result for that lump, but he has two more now. Sorry for the confusion - he has had eight lumps in total and one of them was a fatty cyst.

I'm waiting for more test results... It's been pretty draining :(

Oscar is seven.

Edited by Labradork