Heelllpp! I Need Doler Snake Catcher

Nic.B

There is a DOL snake catcher but based in Vic. Snake Catcher

They haven't been on for a while but their website has contact info.

Hopefully snake catchers "network" and he knows someone near you. Good luck!

^^This particular person has just started work today, so probably can't be of any assistance.

I don't know any snake relocaters in NSW I'm afraid.

Try calling 1300 REPTILE (1300 737 845) as it is a 'National' contact number. Adam there has catchers located in many areas and may be able to help. If not, he may know of someone in your area.

I spoke with them this morning Jeropath, though it is $250 an hour and they might be here for days.

Thank you though :)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol good luck with WIRES.

Last 2 times I called then

For a snake I was told to leave it alone it will move on and that they will only come out if Injured... :(

I also had a huge bluey in my yard kaos was trying to kill. Being pregnant and huge I was unable to get in there fast enough to catch him. They told me to pretty much get over it and grab him or let him be.

I ended up having to get a workmate to come help.

Won't be calling or donating to wires in a hurry again :(

It is tough with WIRES and snakes as sometimes there aren't any available volunteers in the area to help, but if you say that the snake has been there for days and keeps coming back and you know where it is, they will come.

Some locations have several very good snake handlers who will go check out all snake calls and some locations don't have as many.

Wires have been great via phone and are doing the best they can Kavik. It is just a really tough time of year and Wires is volunteer based.

Yeah, don't kill the RBB. Bad plan. :eek:

I agree with the water suggestion. If not I'd be inclined to call around services like the fire brigade - though, depending on where you are, they may have their hands tied. Animal control can't give you any advice?

Keep pestering WIRES, if you keep calling and saying he is still there and has been for days they will check it out, pays to be persistent.

I have Kavik! ALL DAY!!!!!!

Fair enough :) I have worked for WIRES so I know how crazy it can get, especially with snakes, trying to sort out the calls that actually need you to send someone out vs those that don't need you to call someone out (when people overreact and say that there was a snake there a week ago can we come and see if it is still there) and not wanting to overwork the volunteer snake handlers who get several calls or more every day.

Nic, I will PM you the mobile number of one of the WIRES snake catchers. He lives here in St Clair, but may be able to help or at least give you the contact details of someone who can. That way you are bypassing WIRES.

The last snake we had here I rang WIRES and they said they wouldn't send someone out because the snake would have gone by the time they got there. When I explained that it was in my chook shed they ended up getting this guy. Turned out he only lived up the road from me. He came within five minutes. :) He said it was the biggest brown snake he had ever seen! :eek: He had quite a fight with it rearing up and smashing around in the chook shed, but eventually caught it. He had people coming that afternoon to pick up snakes from him so he said he would give it to them. They were on their way to Canberra the next day for an emergency services snake handling training day and he reckoned that was far enough away. He said he didn't want a snake that big anywhere near his house! :)

ETA: I tried to send you a PM, but it said you cannot receive any new messages. I would prefer not to put his number on here, so PM me if you want it. :)

Edited by WendyH

The trouble Nic will be having is volunteers in all sorts of groups will be tied up with fire related things. This will include wildlife groups like Wires etc.

Nic if you have one, a length of PVC pipe (like downpipe) with one end blocked can be used. But you have to have something like a screw on cap for the other end. Chase him in and quickly screw on the end after his tail. Then he can be put in the shade somewhere until someone can relocate him.

Scary as it sounds, it is far safer than a shovel as snake is not stirred up and frightened, and the encounter is not one based on aggression where it feels the need to defend it's life with everything it has.

You also may need to consider it may have been living there for a long time, years even, and that the current weather conditions are just making it move in areas it doesn't usually and so it's more visible.

Sorry I'm not closer Nic - I would come and help. Try not to get too frightened. Hugs.

Yeah, don't kill the RBB. Bad plan. :eek:

I agree with the water suggestion. If not I'd be inclined to call around services like the fire brigade - though, depending on where you are, they may have their hands tied. Animal control can't give you any advice?

I don't want to kill anything and I have honestly spent all day trying to give the snake a chance to leave.

Why is he coming back over and over again???????

Seriously this is the last thing I need at the moment.

My dogs are safe and thank god I have great recall. I never ever let the dogs out without a yard check (maybe I an soft with one dog at a time every now and then) and supervision though seriously this is out of hand.

To be honest I have far too much going on and I am flipping out as this is the last thing I need.

Had similar situation. Snake handler hours away.

Wires wouldn't come out as snake not in house.

Snake handler suggested to get hose. Put it on jet and use the water jet to direct the snake to where you want it to go. Nozzle with a trigger best. Start slowly and try to teach it what the water means ie spray left turn right. Keep it away from places that it can hide. Bit of trial and error, but at least you get to stay a fair distance away.

Didn't get to use this as snake disappeared, so may be good in theory but not in practice.

Good luck!

This is what I was going to suggest.