Dog Whining And Barking In Crate

quangle

Hi,

I have an almost 2 year old springer spaniel. She has been crate trained since birth and has always slept in her crate at night, in the family room of the house. About 4 weeks ago, we re-arranged furniture and moved her crate into the laundry, which is a room off the family room. She was fine with it until about 2 weeks ago when she started whining after we went to bed. We go in and growl at her and she would stop. But gradually it has been getting worse, with the whining starting as soon as we leave the room and it escalates into barking and the growling at her is no longer working. She is more likely to stop when my husband goes in and growls. He works night shifts, so last night I was on my own. After about 45 minutes I gave up and pulled the crate out of the laundry door. I think there were a few little whines after that, but she seemed to settle down.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

Advice greatly appreciated

Yeah, I get that moving the crate back is the easy solution and I am willing to do this temporarily, but having a large dog crate in this room no longer suits me as I don't have space for it any more and I would much prefer it to remain in it's new position.

Is there any training solution I can implement?

Apart from what others have said, maybe she is too hot in the crate ATM & she associates going into the laundry with being made to sleep in a hot, less ventilated area/crate. My two have always slept in their crates, but for the last few weeks have preferred to sleep on the floorboards, because it's cooler...their choice, if that's where they want to sleep.

Also remember that has been her routine for 2 yrs & now its not

Often laundrys are very hot & airless & boring .

If you want to change spots then you need to be patient & not go & yell .

You need to be prepared to put up with some noise until she settles BUT you need to make sure the area is comfy in this heat .

Have you sat in that room at night the way the dog does??

When she was in the family room did she go to bed whilst you where still up or do you put her in last minute ??

My guys will sleep any where in there crates providing the room is either cool enough or warm enough otherwise the have the choice to move about to suit there needs at that time

Also remember that has been her routine for 2 yrs & now its not

Often laundrys are very hot & airless & boring .

If you want to change spots then you need to be patient & not go & yell .

You need to be prepared to put up with some noise until she settles BUT you need to make sure the area is comfy in this heat .

Have you sat in that room at night the way the dog does??

When she was in the family room did she go to bed whilst you where still up or do you put her in last minute ??

My guys will sleep any where in there crates providing the room is either cool enough or warm enough otherwise the have the choice to move about to suit there needs at that time

Good point Showdog. Apart from the laundry being hot, stuffy & uninviting, she more than likely now associates it with being yelled at. "If I go into the laundry, I will be growled & yelled at"...she most likely thinks this, rather than knowing that she is being yelled at for not settling. :(

does she really need crating at night at this age ? Can she not be trusted to sleep on a bed ..or suitably protected piece of human furniture?

My first thought too. The dog is a family member so unless she rips your house up or pees on everything etc why does she need to be in a crate in the laundry or anywhere ?

If you don;t like the crate around being unsightly put it in the shed or garage, minus the dog of course.

does she really need crating at night at this age ? Can she not be trusted to sleep on a bed ..or suitably protected piece of human furniture?

My first thought too. The dog is a family member so unless she rips your house up or pees on everything etc why does she need to be in a crate in the laundry or anywhere ?

If you don;t like the crate around being unsightly put it in the shed or garage, minus the dog of course.

I agree, why not just get her a bed in the famnily room where she is more comfortable? That's what I'd do.

I agree, why not just get her a bed in the famnily room where she is more comfortable? That's what I'd do.

Ditto.

Agree with looking at an alternative bed option. Could you also try rewarding her with a treat (one that takes time for her to munch on) for being in her crate in it's new location- positive assosciation might be helpful.