Cough Medicine

Skye2

Hi I have just had my pup at the vet this morning with a diagnosis of kennel cough. She had her C5 just prior to xmas. She is about 4½ months now. He said the cough is not on her lungs and she has no fever. She is on some anti-inflammatories and antibiotics now. The vet said to only use a cough suppressant as a last resort. He suggested any coedine based one if I needed to. I asked at the chemist and they would not recommend one to me.... I wanted to have some on hand just in case I needed something. Can anyone suggest anything or have any advise on what not to use. Even though she has been looking terribly miserable today and coughing then bringing up mucus she has eaten some food on return from the vet. I have tried Manuka honey 25+ and still have this on hand. Sorry to ramble on am feeling a little stressed out as have never had the experience of kennel cough before. He said her's is mainly effecting her trachea so therefore we have the continual honking kind of cough.

I will if I can compare ingredients

Nothing at all like benadryl .

be VERY careful with dosage ...... does she really need it?

for kennel cough ..the most important thing is to keep pup quiet and relaxed..to remove anything which will press on the area of the windpipe which is where the infection is (remove collars - no walks on lead ) and to remember some words of wisdom from my vet ... a decent case will take 3 weeks to clear with treatment , and 21 days without ;)

as it is a virus .. AB's won't do much ....but some vets are cautious I guess .

edit to add ... I always start with the mild ..and work up to the big guns ...

Edited by persephone

Yes she is quite lethargic and he was worried about her chest so asked me to bring her it. Her chest was clear and he thought it was more in the upper airway but she is coughing up pale mucus. I suppose with her age he is being more cautious. She is just laying in her crate at present and I agree she is best when quiet and doesn't cough nearly as much. I also think she is quite tired from coughing and so much. I will hold of on the cough mixture unless desperate and will call him tomorrow and double check before I give anything. Her brother is also coughing but not as bad as her and is much more active.

Thank you for your advice

Yes she is quite lethargic and he was worried about her chest so asked me to bring her it. Her chest was clear and he thought it was more in the upper airway but she is coughing up pale mucus. I suppose with her age he is being more cautious. She is just laying in her crate at present and I agree she is best when quiet and doesn't cough nearly as much. I also think she is quite tired from coughing and so much. I will hold of on the cough mixture unless desperate and will call him tomorrow and double check before I give anything. Her brother is also coughing but not as bad as her and is much more active.

Thank you for your advice

If the vet is worried about her chest I definitely wouldn't be using a dry cough mixture. It will suppress the cough and allow the mucus to settle in her lungs.

Is it just me or does it seem quite common for dogs to contract KC within a few weeks of a C5? :confused:

I had a dog/s (same breed) that would get a cough within a week of a KC injection ,It wasn't contagious & lasted often a month.

I stopped giving that breed the KC aspect & never had an issue since.

The other breeds fine

Give her honey to soothe her throat. Not sure why he put her on ABs and AIs though...

Me either KC is a virus and ABs wont help = treat it the way you treat a child with a bad cough - steam and honey.

Every dog Ive ever known to get KC had the vacc .

Manuka Honey worked a treat here. The cough was gone in three days - and my girl westie thought it was the best treat! I had no idea of honey dosages so I just gave her a teaspoon full three times on the first day then twice a day for the next two days and she just licked it off the spoon. But I did use the high powered one - expensive but not as high as vet fees.

My Vet and I discussed ABs - and for old dogs or dogs with compromised immune systems they can be useful in preventing secondary infection. But generally in younger dogs I wouldn't even consider them.

Just get some Manuka Honey - your dog will feel much better very quickly! :)

Give her honey to soothe her throat. Not sure why he put her on ABs and AIs though...

Me either KC is a virus and ABs wont help = treat it the way you treat a child with a bad cough - steam and honey.

Every dog Ive ever known to get KC had the vacc .

Ditto here.

Active Manuka Honey (highest UFA factor possible). Off the teaspoon a few times a day / as necessary. I sometimes like to melt some and add it to a small bowl of water (don't overload the bladder too much) if I suspect the pup/dog could do with keeping up hydration more.

Thanks Erny I have tried Manuka honey. I have had trouble getting any fluid into her. She has not drunk from her bowl since yesterday. Have been back to vet tonight has so worried about the lethargy and vomiting. Her hydration was ok. She had an injection of Cerenia to help with nausea and vomiting along with more anti inflammatory as her coughing is so so bad. She came home from vet and ate a small amount of mince only about 1 teaspoon but better than nothing. Would be more pleased if she drank something though.

Edited by Skye2

How's the baby today, Skye2 ?

posted at the time you were writing.

:( hope she drinks something .. maybe soak some mince in a small amount of water ..just a half cup ..drain , and offer her the water?

Milk?

Tuna juice ?

Nausea/vomiting is not good ...maybe she has something other than kennel cough? Did the vet check for anything caught in her throat ???

Edited by persephone