For Those Who Feed A Dog A Natural Diet ?

Christina

Nup, my diet is crap.

My husband works away all week and is only home one or two nights on the weekend, so I tend to not even bother with dinner most nights unless he is home.

All my animals, dogs, cats, poultry, goats, cattle, camels, eat a much healthier diet than I do. I KNOW I should eat better and I WANT to eat better, but too busy/lazy to address it at the moment. Am in the process of setting up a vegie garden though, and soon we will be raising our own beef, so I can see a future where my diet is much healthier.

My dogs diet is way better than mine! I know what I should eat but actually eating it doesn't seem to happen.

Same here...I was just thinking this as I cleaned out our whopping big 500 ltr freezer. All the stuff in there for the dogs is healthy along with bags of rump steak. Up our end along with some good stuff, we have sausages, chicken snitzels, icecream & bread. If only someone would take control of me & take as much care of my diet & weight as much as I do with the dogs :laugh:

Very little commercially prepared food in this house for dogs or humans. The dogs eat mostly raw with a a little dry and we eat mostly fresh cooked from scratch with occasional gluten free treats. I have a fructose/fructase intolerance so no wheat for me which really restricts the commercial food I can eat. There are several isles in the supermarket I never venture into because there is nothing there I can eat and take away food is nearly impossible. Drinks wise I stick to water, herbal teas and organic, non-homogenised milk.

I'd say we are all healthy :D I 'eat clean', so try to eat foods in the most natural state possible, and eat to nourish my body. Although my dogs aren't on a raw diet, as I just don't have the time, I would say they are healthy too. They're health and fitness is a priority to me, as others have said, they don't make the concious decisions for themselves, we do it for them. So I feed 2 Eukanuba, as that's what they respond best to, and the other on Holistic Select anchovy, as that's what he does best on. They'll also get the extra treat and chicken frame here and there, and they do get the occasional "cheat treat/meal" just as I do :D

There are lots of good published studies on human diet and health impact. Anyone know of any published research into dog diets?

I am sure every dog food manufacturer would send research to anyone who asked to show that theirs is the best. I did hear that Iams did some research that was really callous but whether or not this was accurate I really don't know. It did put me off the product though.

Yes, I'm thinking of controlled studies not funded by the industry.

If you can find one, good luck to you. Studies need funding and the only ones with an interest in funding them are generally the food companies.

There is a wide range of studies out there which focus on a wide variety of canine nutrition topics, but I don't know of any on long term health that would be considered 'unbiased' .

Edited by espinay2

My dogs now have a raw meaty bone diet. Mostly chicken legs, turkey wings or small legs if I can get them. They occasionally they have beef chunks or pork. They should also have offal & liver but they don't like it & the JS gets a runny bottom when something nww is introduced. Veggies & grains/pasta are not needed. They also get the occasional raw egg.

Yes, but as the question says - what do YOU eat :laugh:

Like some others have said, crap. OH & 1 son are shift workers so eat at work. That leaves youngest son who cooks a couple of times a week which are mostly stir frys. When I'm on my own it's what ever I can be bothered getting. :D

Guest Labradork

I don't eat junk and either do my dogs...

The first time I ever gave them a commercially made treat was at Christmas when someone gave me a packet of Blackmores kangaroo treats.