I'm Not Really Sure If This Counts As A 'problem' As Such.

I love goldens

But i have no idea what to name our new puppy! She is a female Golden Retriever and at the moment she is 6 weeks old. I know i have a fair bit more time to name her but i really would like some suggestions :) I really like the names Pip and Millie!

Also have i forgotten anything for when she comes home? I have:

A lead

A puppy collar

A big cusion for her bed

A brush (its a slicker, is ths the best type for Goldens? If not we have acat we can use it for!)

Some toys

And all I can think of is thatwe need food and water bowls and the actual dog! :D

Thanks in advance!

Edited by I love goldens

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont have a crate but we do have a very secure area outside whichnhas a catflap where she can get inside to e laundry if she needs to.

Yes I think the only way to name her is to wait!!! We will get pictures soon so as soon as they are here i will post them!

A wire crate would be highly recommended & train her to love it like her den. Invaluable for toilet training, quite time, sleeping, confinement etc. Lots on this forum about the benefits of crates if you do a search.

Also, do you have any books or DVD's on training puppies. Both names are cute. Oh...& one thing else, not to forget....Photos, please :D

Oh how exciting ILG :thumbsup:

you must join us in the puppy waiting thread in this section!

I have already named our puppy girl, who is still with her breeder for another just over 4 weeks.

We wanted something very symbolic and special for her because of all the lead up to her coming into our lives.

But I do know a lot of people often wait till their puppy comes home before they come up with a name that best suits him/her. The breeder will probably come up with her registered name that will go with her prefix.

I was planning on getting a whole lot of things, but ours will come with a few things anyway. So im going wait till she gets here to see what else we need. We have plenty of toys for her as our other 2 cavs are older and not into toys anymore, but my friends keep buying them more, which is going be handy anyway!

I've bought ours a cheap little bed for now, as puppies like to chew everything, so i'm being told !lol We have never had a puppy before, just older dogs :)

I think the best thing to do in the meantime is make your house and property is puppy friendly and safe.

All the best with it !

Ps I do like the name Millie, i had a cat called Millie once, and a friend of mine, her nickname is Millie :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

A name you can scream across a paddock at 80 decibels without dying of embarassment is the way to go.

Not too many syllables and ending in a 'y' sound tend to be easy. You can always look up girls names meaning "Golden".

If you turn "Pip" into "Pippa" it will be a bit easier to scream. Millie already has the "y" sound at the end.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

A name you can scream across a paddock at 80 decibels without dying of embarassment is the way to go.

Not too many syllables and ending in a 'y' sound tend to be easy. You can always look up girls names meaning "Golden".

If you turn "Pip" into "Pippa" it will be a bit easier to scream. Millie already has the "y" sound at the end.

If she was going to be called Pip she would be Pippy, so that has the y at the end i wouldnt be scared to yell that out at the park :D

not wanting to get too OT, but yes, you most certainly want a name that doesn't embarass you.................friends named their staffy...........Woof, cool name thumbsup1.gif

until Woof got out one day and the two owners are running up and down the street calling out........"Woof, Woof, Woof"...................................rofl1.gif

not wanting to get too OT, but yes, you most certainly want a name that doesn't embarass you.................friends named their staffy...........Woof, cool name thumbsup1.gif

until Woof got out one day and the two owners are running up and down the street calling out........"Woof, Woof, Woof"...................................rofl1.gif

Not to butt in but LOL!!

Omg that would of been absolutely hilarious :rofl: :rofl:

I love the name Millie for a Golden!

Have you done much puppy training before? If not I agree that a training DVD or two would be a good investment. And you want to start training the basics from day 1 so it's good you have time before she comes home. My favourite training DVD is Really Reliable Recall by Leslie Nelson. It makes it easy to get your dog to come every time you call, which is invaluable.

The slicker brush should be ok while she's a baby but I'd suggest a pin brush and an under coat rake as she grows more coat. Get some doggy nail clippers too and practice clipping her nails each week while she's little, it will make it much easier when she grows up!

And a camera so we can see pics :D

You must be getting very excited ILG! I've just had a litter go to their new homes the week before last and it's just lovely to see the excitement on everyone's faces as they come to pick up their new puppy :)

I use a slicker when they're a bit older, but also buy a basic pin brush too for everyday puppy brushing. A basic doggy comb also comes in handy when they get dirty. A hint with goldens - if they're wet/have been swimming, etc., just let them dry first then most of the dirt will just brush out easily. When your pup is a fair bit older (maybe 6 months or so), it may also pay to buy an undercoat rake to use when she's shedding - it will really help.

For bowls, make sure the water bowls are heavy as goldens love water, and will tip over a plastic or stainless steel bowl. I place a few ceramic ones around the place - keeps the water nice and cool. I also had to buy a small tub for my last litter as i had one girl in particular who loved digging in the water and within 5 minutes of me filling up the water bowls, they would be completely empty (she also sat in it LOL).

Your breeder may already be getting you one of these, but the Golden Retriever club sells a breed handbook which is quite good www.grcv.org.au . I give them to my puppy buyers as well as a folder full of my own information

Thanks for all of your advice!

Last night when we contacted our breeder she said one of the female puppies has a slightly raised heartbeat. She said it should pass by the time she is 12 weeks old. Do you know what this means? And if it is a long term thing what does it mean for her future?