Back Seat Hammocks/ Buddies

Danois

For what it is worth, I use Car Booster seats for both Kisho and Puppy. Look like this but they got the 'Deluxe' version - of course!!: http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1353 Best thing I did. Puppy used to salivate incredibly in the car. Was advised by my vet it was stress and possibly due to perforated ear drum (thanks to Virgin Airlines!) and then subsequent multiple ear infections. She travels great now as she can see out the window and they are restrained. Kisho loves it too of course, but then he's such a lad and just likes to have what Puppy has. They're both under 10kg, so need for a hammock, etc.

So does the bsb actually keep fur off the footwell, seats , sides and the cracks where the seatbelts are.? i have a lab that sheds alot. Despite regular groomimg. We have a hammock not a cheap one and her fur stll is everywhere. Have a corolla hatch and thinking if this does work i might invest in one

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask what is so special about the BSB compared to other car hammocks? I recently purchased a car hammock from K9 + and it is great quality but WAY too big for my small hatch even though I bought the smallest size… I also have a cheap one from reject shop that is ok but one of the straps is starting to fray… I secure my dog in a harness to the seatbelt too but like hammocks as it stops the dog falling between the seats… just wondering how great this BSB is and whether its worth the money...

May I ask what is so special about the BSB compared to other car hammocks? I recently purchased a car hammock from K9 + and it is great quality but WAY too big for my small hatch even though I bought the smallest size… I also have a cheap one from reject shop that is ok but one of the straps is starting to fray… I secure my dog in a harness to the seatbelt too but like hammocks as it stops the dog falling between the seats… just wondering how great this BSB is and whether its worth the money...

My Zeus is a horrible shedder too but I've found that since using the BSB, there is a lot less fur floating around my car. I think because it has a removable fleece cover, the fur sticks to that rather than going everywhere else.

The BSB doesn't have any access for the seatbelt though so you'll need to find another way to secure your dog. I use a zip line running across the back of the seat and have it connected to his harness. See my previous post for a link.

do you know if the back seat buddy interferes with the Air Bags? I know with some cars fitted with air bags you cannot put seat covers on your car seats.

My car doesn't have rear air bags so can't comment on this one. As far as I know, I thought it was only car seat covers on the front seats that could interfere with the airbags.

• 2 months later...

Just noticed this discussion: The BSB is great but it costs a fortune.

A Seat cover that has really worked well for me is the Running Dog Back Seat Protector I have had it for a couple of years now. It comes up the sides so the car doors are kept clean. And I also use harnesses on my two dogs which can attach through to the safety belt.

The good thing is that with shedding dogs the fur all collects in the liner and you can just shake it out every now and again whereas from what I can see of the bsb is that the fur collects and is hard to remove.

We have had a back seat buddy for approx 14 years and I noticed just this week that start to get a little bit worn in the fold where the dogs sit. We have always had 2 x Sharpei so not huge hair shedders but still manage their fair share. Our BSB is actually one size too small for the 4wd but still works well but the seats and floor of the car are vinyl anyway. The odd time or two when its been in the wash and I had to carry the dogs they were really freaked out because there was nothing covering in the foot well and fell in a few times going around corners.

I carry an often wet and muddy 27kg staffy mix. He is rough on everything he comes into contact with.

The real BSB is awesome - my back seat of my fairly new corolla is still in mint condition. No hair, mud, water or dog vomit gets through it. :thumbsup:

I got one of these

http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/index.php?p=products&sp=back-seat-hammock

But am currently using one I got my local saddlery repair shop to make up, it's a little bit shorter than the k9 one so it fits better, and it is made of white rip stop canvas - so it doesn't get as hot, and it doesn't have the zip bit in the middle - which I prefer.

I have vinyl car seats - so fur and sand are fairly easy to clean off.

Getting one made up cost about the same as the cheapies on the net and I'm a lot more confident about the rip stop than some random plastic stuff. And I am supporting a local shop.