I Feel Like An Idiot Calling My Vet Every Week...:-(

Niki8

Oh my gosh your sounding exactly the same as me...... I was down the back yard in the middle of the night with the torch poo watching!!

We bought "Harry" home 2 weeks ago tomorrow, feels like he has been in our lives for months!!! and I have been to the vets twice, just because I have worried myself stupid!!!

I had truly forgotten how stressful it is owning a puppy and how much you worry. Our breeder has been wonderful and at our vet visit yesterday (vaccinations and loose poos) our vet said just ring and ask to speak with me if you have any concerns whatsoever, I will always ring back if busy. He said it was VERY normal for new puppy parents to look like newborn baby parents and to worry themselves sick, he said the puppies are always fine its the parents that need the drugs lol!!! :confused:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much everyone for the encouraging comments :-) It's nice to know that there are others who feel the same and that it's normal being worried :-) I called the vet today and she suggested to give him Endogard or Drontal today and then continue with Interceptor as I would normally (in a month time). She was very nice and I guess happy that I called when I was not sure what to do :-)

I will post some photos very soon :-) Thank you so much again :-)

So here is the first pic...I have tried to upload a few but then realized it will have to be in separate posts as they are too big (even after compressing) :-) So this is our darling...his name is Hongi...it comes from Maori language, it's a traditional greeting when people touch with their foreheads and noses...and it means "sharing the breath of life"...

...it's a long story how we found this name :-)

post-45776-0-94011800-1358311139_thumb.jpg

This is usually the kind of stuff you should be able to go back to your breeder and ask about - one of the main reasons for buying from a breeder who is knowledgeable and who will be available after the pup goes home.

You need to remember that there are two different types of tape worm - one the flea tape worm - every time you see fleas you can assume the dog might have tape worm ,as the dog is infected when it swallows a flea - the other is unlikely you will ever need to worry about as it is contracted by the dog eating offal from sheep that's not inspected. This is usually only a problem for dogs who are out bush and getting stuck into dead animal bodies or for dogs who's owners feed food which they kill themselves.

Its hard for puppies not to have roundworm as they are infected by the larvae crossing the placenta from their Mum's even though Mum had no sign of having worms .The larvea remain dormant in her uterus just waiting for the chance to be shipped into puppies and they get a second hit via her milk. Its hard for a breeder to totally avoid this and all breeders know the risk and always worm puppies even if they see no sign of worms.

Your worm meds only cover the worms in a particular life stage so that's why you need to worm them again in 2 weeks after you have seen them as you have. After that you shouldn't need to be so concerned as when the dog gets older especially boys they have a bit more of immunity to them.

Im happy to shout you , Ann21, Ruin Maniac,Baby Pepper and Sheenat a free course each - Good Health and the Family dog which should put you at ease a bit and help in future.

My link

This is usually the kind of stuff you should be able to go back to your breeder and ask about - one of the main reasons for buying from a breeder who is knowledgeable and who will be available after the pup goes home.

You need to remember that there are two different types of tape worm - one the flea tape worm - every time you see fleas you can assume the dog might have tape worm ,as the dog is infected when it swallows a flea - the other is unlikely you will ever need to worry about as it is contracted by the dog eating offal from sheep that's not inspected. This is usually only a problem for dogs who are out bush and getting stuck into dead animal bodies or for dogs who's owners feed food which they kill themselves.

Its hard for puppies not to have roundworm as they are infected by the larvae crossing the placenta from their Mum's even though Mum had no sign of having worms .The larvea remain dormant in her uterus just waiting for the chance to be shipped into puppies and they get a second hit via her milk. Its hard for a breeder to totally avoid this and all breeders know the risk and always worm puppies even if they see no sign of worms.

Your worm meds only cover the worms in a particular life stage so that's why you need to worm them again in 2 weeks after you have seen them as you have. After that you shouldn't need to be so concerned as when the dog gets older especially boys they have a bit more of immunity to them.

Im happy to shout you , Ann21, Ruin Maniac,Baby Pepper and Sheenat a free course each - Good Health and the Family dog which should put you at ease a bit and help in future.

My link

Steve that is very generous of you thank you so much, I will send you a PM.

Edit: your inbox is full so I will post in the comments box :)

Edited by ann21

My link

Steve that is very generous of you thank you so much, I will send you a PM.

Edit: your inbox is full so I will post in the comments box :)

I just need your real name so I can put it through with out payment - Ill empty some of my in box

Thank you k9angel and Aussie3 :-)

And thank you so much Steve for your info and the message, I am very keen in learning something new :-)

When we have got Hongi he was dewormed every 2 weeks until week 12 and than the vet suggested to start with 1 month periods as his poo was clean...I have never noticed fleas on him, neither the vet did. I wonder if he could get the worms from licking some dropings outside our garden? I know that once he managed to eat a bit of cat poo which was very runny and he had diarrhoea that evening (but in the morning he was back to his normal poo):-( ...as a lab (or maybe as every pup) he puts in his mounth almost everything even though we tried to watch him and not let him...:-)

Hm, the vet said to use Endogard or Drontal today (Hongi got Interceptor 2 days ago but because of the visible worms she suggested to give a tablet of one of those today) but to go back to normal Interceptor in a month time...will he be worm free then?

My link

This will explain it all

I'm no vet so best to follow what they have said but if it were my dog I would worm him as the vet advised but take a poop in around about 14 days time and check via taking a poop sample to the vet to make sure you got it all rather than wait a month for the interceptor because of the life cycle.

Edited by Steve

Niki8, as the others have said, we have all been there when it comes to a new puppy :) You've been given some great advice. Your pup is gorgeous! Gotta love a Lab puppy, especially a black one! Come join us in the Labrador thread (Those Crazy Labradors).