I Feel Like An Idiot Calling My Vet Every Week...:-(

Niki8

Hey guys,

I am just pouring my heart out...we have got a lab pup 7 weeks ago and he is the most gorgeous thing I have ever met…he’s our sweetheart :-)…but this is another story…:-)

I am writing as I am frustrated that every week or every second week there is something which does not seem normal to me and I get really worried that something is wrong…so I call a vet and make an appointment…sometimes there’s something and he gets treated and other times he’s all good…I don’t mind the bills, I just want him to be a healthy and happy puppy…but I feel like an idiot that I am calling every week and am concerned that the vet must think that I am overreacting :-). I guess it is just in my mind, the vet is always nice…

Yesterday, I have given my boy a deworming tablet and was very surprised I actually found roundworms in his poo this morning ;-( I have never seen any worms in his poo after previous treatments so I have always thought he has been worms free…:-(

I am very curious so I started to read about all the different worms in more details on the internet and when I was checking his afternoon poo, I examined it properly with gloves…I didn’t see any roundworms anymore but I think I may have seen segments of tapeworms (but I am not sure:-()…then I checked some other pages and found that interceptor (that’s the one I used yesterday) may not kill tapeworms – well on the box it says it is against tapeworms but when I tried to find more info on the net from the company making this product, there is no mention about interceptor being against tapeworms…so either they made a mistake on the packaging or it is a new product…

Boo, so I am feeling like crap, because whenever something like that happens I take it personally and feel like a bad ‘mum’ :-(

As I said, just pouring my heart out…sorry…:-(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worm him again with drontal in two weeks' time and then continue with the interceptor.

Make sure he has no fleas as they can carry tapeworm too.

Before making an appointment ask the nurse for advice and their recommendation about whether to come in or wait and see...we can generally tell you. :)

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

You sound like a new parent :D Is he your first puppy?

In regards to the vet personally I believe you are better to see a vet if you are concerned than ignore something that may turn out to be a sign of something more serious :) Most vets I know are of this opinion as well. As you get more experienced you will learn when to panic and when to watch :)

If you are tossing up whether to call the vet about the worm issue just call and talk to the vet nurse/receptionist and ask what they suggest you do. Often you can get advice over the phone and they will tell you if you are better off coming in. I imagine all you will have suggested is to retreat in a few weeks time rather than the usual 3 months.

Lab puppies are good at getting into "interesting" situations though from what I have heard :D A friend raised a guide dog puppy and he had to have quite a few vet visits including an operation to remove a pair of socks he ate whole :eek: At least my Lappies chew them into smaller sections before swallowing :laugh:

ETA: you are only a bad parent/owner if you ignore obvious signs that something is wrong :)

Edited by mirawee

Worm him again with drontal in two weeks' time and then continue with the interceptor.

Make sure he has no fleas as they can carry tapeworm to.

Before making an appointment ask the nurse for advice and their recommendation about whether to come in or wait and see...we can generally tell you. :)

Yes, that's what I do now if doubtful (run things by the reception when calling the vet) and I understand, I took my dog off to the vet a bit too much at first :)

Thank you so much everyone for your support, feeling already better :-) Yep, he's our first puppy so everything is very new :-) Will call the nurse tomorrow morning and will ask what she things :-) THANK YOU :-)

Guest donatella

You sound like a wonderful owner! Some people never take their dogs to the vets and they suffer for years with horrible conditions.

With my first pup I would leave work and head for the vets every time she vomited or had diarrhea now I have more experience/know what to look for/how to treat I am more relaxed and don't fall down at every symptom.

It's all about gaining confidence and that comes with experience.

Great advice re calling and talking to the vet nurse though :thumbsup:

You sound like a very good dog "mum". :thumbsup: Keep up the good work, we all worry about our "fur-kids". Don't worry about contacting the vet all the time, better to be safe than sorry.

Yes I agree! When I first got my greyhounds I was at my vet's what seemed like every week, well actually it was every week. I had a RidgyX for 16 years before these two and he was tough as nails and apart from his last few years he really never had any problems. After 2 years with greyhounds I'm not as panicky and I have pretty much every lotion and potion for most situations now. The last time I had Maddie at the vet with a split pad on her foot I took all my creams with me and my various types of bandages and he just looked at it, said use this then this and wrap with this...no charge :) I have been going to him for many years, I'm sure when he sees my name on the patient list he thinks...this'll be good :laugh:

Have you phoned the breeder to ask for advice on the issues ??If they area good breeder they will answer your questions or atleast assist in the things that aren't going right

It is great to see the vet but you can become paranoid & see things that aren't there & that will take away the joy of owning a pup

Ditto to what everyone else has said. It's pretty common for pups to have worms, so don't worry too much. I agree with giving the vet a call, the nurse should be able to advise you for something like this. My OH tells me off for examining poos every now and then :laugh:

Niki8, I know exactly how you feel. My dog has been having diarrhea since his 2 week antibiotic treatment. When I brought him into the vet I was like "his diarrhea has gone on for three days! This morning the poop was yellow! Could it be parvo?? An intestinal blockage?? Does he have a fever??" Of course I tried to sound more calm than that but yesterday he vomited up yellow foam and it got me all worried again. Am trying to relax and continue with his probiotics/medicine to firm up stools but my brain keeps messing with me...So..you are not alone :)

DOL is a great place to get information from - everything from medical, feeding, training, etc, so you are welcome to come here first before calling your vet, if that is a concern. If it is something serious or something of a concern, the advice will be to contact your vet. Remember, not only are members dog owners, we have a few vet nurses, behaviorists, trainers, show judges, breeders and a vet as well (pops in every now and again). There is a plethora of information on here - check out the 'Puppy Problems' and the 'Health/Nutrition/Training' folders as your first port of call.

And post some photos please. :)

Edited by poochmad

Whatever you do, don't get involved in rescue - you will learn more about poopies and nasties than you ever wanted to know... errr!

You sound like a devoted "parent" to your new puppy... and that's a great thing. If you aren't sure about something, come here, or ring the vet and ask all the questions you like...

And I'd like to see photos too please...

T.

It's alright. I'm in precisely the same boat as you. I feel like a neurotic sometimes. :o

When you're inexperienced, as I am, it's probably for the best that you seek advice when you aren't sure - and, let's face it, a vet that offers an advice line is more immediate than any other source and that's critical in the unlikely event that urgent care is necessary. All it shows is that you love and care about your puppy, which I think is something all of us here admire in an owner.

I can relate to you with our first Cavalier 'Joey' He was about 18 months when we got him, and he did fret for a little while. But I was calling the vet almost every second day about something I worried about, which usually wasn't anything serious. I still think it pays to check, even if its just to talk to the vet staff first ;)

The first time I saw Joey do a zoomie, I thought he was having some sort of weird fit and called the vets in a mad panic, it was just a zoomie :laugh: I had never seen a small dog's version of zoomie before, its like they are on speed (not that i know what being on speed is like lol)

These days, and since having a second cav, I don't react like I used too.. I still get paranoid, but I have learnt not to overeact as I once would o :o

We are getting a puppy soon, and I will probably go back to being overeactive again ! ;-)

You are just being a caring responsible dog owner :D

I agree, you sound like a very sweet and caring owner, good on you. :thumbsup:

As others have mentioned, as times passes and you get to know him more and gain more experience, you'll become more confident.

I know it's easier said than done sometimes, but *try* not to worry so much. :hug:

Enjoy him and enjoy puppyhood. :) It goes way too fast and before you know it, they're all grown up.

All the best, though I am sure you'll do just fine. :)

Hey guys,

I am just pouring my heart out...we have got a lab pup 7 weeks ago and he is the most gorgeous thing I have ever met…he’s our sweetheart :-)…but this is another story…:-)

I am writing as I am frustrated that every week or every second week there is something which does not seem normal to me and I get really worried that something is wrong…so I call a vet and make an appointment…sometimes there’s something and he gets treated and other times he’s all good…I don’t mind the bills, I just want him to be a healthy and happy puppy…but I feel like an idiot that I am calling every week and am concerned that the vet must think that I am overreacting :-). I guess it is just in my mind, the vet is always nice…

Yesterday, I have given my boy a deworming tablet and was very surprised I actually found roundworms in his poo this morning ;-( I have never seen any worms in his poo after previous treatments so I have always thought he has been worms free…:-(

I am very curious so I started to read about all the different worms in more details on the internet and when I was checking his afternoon poo, I examined it properly with gloves…I didn’t see any roundworms anymore but I think I may have seen segments of tapeworms (but I am not sure:-()…then I checked some other pages and found that interceptor (that’s the one I used yesterday) may not kill tapeworms – well on the box it says it is against tapeworms but when I tried to find more info on the net from the company making this product, there is no mention about interceptor being against tapeworms…so either they made a mistake on the packaging or it is a new product…

Boo, so I am feeling like crap, because whenever something like that happens I take it personally and feel like a bad ‘mum’ :-(

As I said, just pouring my heart out…sorry…:-(

Sounds like we are sharing a gene... in the past I have even rung emergency clinics in Germany for advice!

But I feel very lucky, Pepper's breeder and her YorkieForum have been extremely helpful with advice (they are like a 24 hour hotline).

Have you thought of joining a health fund for your boy? If so, you might reconsider taking him to the vet too often, before he is already fully insured. Just in case.

Edited by Guest