Pig In Mud Patio Door

dougal

Very durable in general except for the magnetic strip which we've had replaced under warranty three times in four years. Easy for the dogs to use. Very easy to fit but you could crawl through the larger ones (however you could do this with any brand/ model designed for large dogs). You do need a wider than normal doorway to accommodate it if you intend to use the entry too.

I've got one but it doesn't fit very well in my sliding door, perhaps because my house is 30 years old or so. There's a gap big enough for spiders and cold drafts to get through and the latch didn't match up with my door so I had to rig up another type of lock. That said, it's fantastic for the dogs as before I had it I was getting up at least 10 times a night to let them out to the toilet.

I got one by another company from Bunnings. I can't remember the name but it was more in my budget ($270 I think). It was incredibly easy to install and so worth it. I use a dowel to make sure my own door is securely in place. The only downside is the laundry basket can't fit through now (as Dxenion mentioned), so I have to use a different door if I'm hanging clothes out to dry. With that said, I haven't had it for long, so when it gets colder it will be interesting to see how drafty it will get! Dog loves it.

You do need a wider than normal doorway to accommodate it if you intend to use the entry too.

That's the problem we have with ours. It's a bit of a squeeze to get out. We bought it originally for our old dog so she could take herself in and out as she pleased when we were home. Due to the flap size it was never left open when no one was home. These days it just sits there rarely being opened as there is now a cat living here that has worked out she can get outside this way. I think for smaller dogs these are great though.

From memory I think I paid around $300 for it.

Agree about the wider doorway. I could hardly get through the door with a washing basket in my hand when we had the pig in mud. We ended up replacing the doors and had a complete new one put in with a fixed panel up one end with the dog door in it and I gave the pig in mud to my mother in law. Aside from the size factor of the opening, they are a great idea.

Thanks everyone - I'll measure up the width of the door to check out how much room I'll have. My dogs are medium sized, and can "barrel" through the doggy door when they're in a hurry. Presumably there is no returns? ....or the cost of return is prohibitive?

SecretKei - that solution looks really good - hope it works out :thumbsup:

Edited by dougal