How Do I Stop My Puppy Getting The Washing Off The Line?

jess live die

my puppy is 5 months, and no matter how high i do the clothes line up he still gets them off his got a very high jump on him.

normaly i catch him in it and tell him off.

his a good puppy dosent chew anything dosent dig but he likes to pull the clothes off the line.

Can you not leave him outside when the washing in on the line? Or build a barrier around the washing line? Or provide a higer value treat for leaving the washing alone, because pulling washing off the line is a high value reward in itself, so you have to find a higer value one for him, like play time or training or something he holds in high regard.

But the obvious one of removing him from the situation is a good one in the meantime :)

I've only had one pull washing of the line dog and found the only thing to work was to keep her inside or in the dog yard while the washing was out. She grew out of it. Nothing else worked and I tried lots of things - good luck

When I had a big dog a long time ago she destroyed washing for years & nothing I tried seemed to stop her so one day I watched her & noticed that when the wind blew she got excited & then the game began. I put a pair of stockings on the line on a windy day & filled both feet with pepper, a whole pot in each foot. Big bucket of water there for her to drink. It worked. I felt terrible but she never touched the washing again.

We are lucky that we actually have a separate bit of enclosed yard (that leads out from the laundry) to the other part of the backyard where the clothesline is.. I can barely reach the clothesline let alone the Cavs ! :laugh:

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Many years ago we had a Jack Russell puppy and he pulled the washing down all the time. The way we stopped it was to hang balloons filled with water in them. When we came home all the balloons were popped and he never pulled the washing down again. :thumbsup:

Don't hang clothes up when puppy is outside unsupervised, that way he doesn't form a bad habit in the first place. When you are supervising, work on impulse control around food and toys, and eventually around the washing line. Look up "it's yer choice" on youtube.

This is a really hard habit to break. We have an indoor washing line and our female used to pull the washing off and spread it all over the backyard. Luckily she didn't chew anything. We just ignored the behaviour and now she ignores the washing.

Outside, the washing has always been put up high and the dogs have never paid any interest. I have heard of tying water balloons to the washing and doing it in a way to 'surprise' them when they grab the washing.

As others have said, best way is to do what you can until they grow out of it.

Many years ago we had a Jack Russell puppy and he pulled the washing down all the time. The way we stopped it was to hang balloons filled with water in them. When we came home all the balloons were popped and he never pulled the washing down again. :thumbsup:

+1 to this, worked for my childhood staffy as well, he got a balloon once and never did it again :)

My puppy used to do this too. In the end we decided to temporarily fence that area off until he is older. Our older dog (in my avatar) also did this (and chewed up the clothes!) and she eventually grew out of it. It did take a few years though...

Ours took great joy in ripping everything off of the line and strewing it about the yard- so we've fenced ours off temporarily with pool fencing and star pickets- every now and then we'll leave the (makeshift) gate open and test her (17 months)...so far the temptation has proved to have been too great.

We used balloons full of water, but it didn't deter our dog at all.

So we set her up - put the washing on the line, then I went out and my husband stayed hidden in the shed. When the pup grabbed the first item, my husband leapt out yelling NO. She never touched the washing again. Now I train each pup by hanging tempting sheets out, waiting until the pup shows interest and then sternly saying no.