Leaving Clam Shells With Water In Dog Runs

mantis

I wouldn't leave a clam shell to many have tip over & trapped dogs.

We do leave the sandpit pools in the runs,they are more sturdy,can't flip

This and for that reason we only have concrete troughs that the dogs cannot over turn or move if they empty them

Is this for the $25 plastic clam shell pools from Kmart, etc?

I can't imagine my dogs (Staffords) getting trapped under them.... maybe if they were puppies.

Am I getting confused?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had ours for years and years - the only time one tipped over of its own accord it was very very very windy (like stormy windy), clam shell was empty and think it was raised up slightly on one side.

Ours treat them as huge water bowls but then you know its a back up to their normal water bowls if the water runs out or indeed heats up.

I wouldn't leave a clam shell to many have tip over & trapped dogs.

We do leave the sandpit pools in the runs,they are more sturdy,can't flip

This and for that reason we only have concrete troughs that the dogs cannot over turn or move if they empty them

If dogs are strong enough to tip over a shell with water in it, then they must be able to get out from underneath an empty one. :confused:

I can't see how a greyhound could possibly get stuck under one (assuming they could be bothered to empty it out and tip it over to start with) so we have one here. The last foster dog to use it was Sophie (last summer) and since then, no one goes near it. I live in hope that the sand monster (the grey in the right in the sig) will actually start using it, instead of digging herself sand nests (because that results in her getting sand on/in everything she goes near).

Mine is positioned up against a wall and in a bit of a corner so impossible to trip over unless they're headed right for a wall anyway.

Always have had a clam shell over summer months - not just as a cooling off point but as a back up water source if we are out (obviously water is changed regularly) if they were to tip their other bowls etc. - they don't use it much, but at least the opportunity is there if they need to cool off. Can't see why it would be dangerous, but then my dogs are a medium size breed - maybe with little'uns?

Always have had a clam shell over summer months - not just as a cooling off point but as a back up water source if we are out (obviously water is changed regularly) if they were to tip their other bowls etc. - they don't use it much, but at least the opportunity is there if they need to cool off. Can't see why it would be dangerous, but then my dogs are a medium size breed - maybe with little'uns?

It can be risky if the dogs are older and lack balance, coordination, and strength. My two older dogs are medium sized and there is not only the risk of the clam shell tipping up, but also the risk of them not being able to stand up when in there (because they struggle on smooth surfaces). So mine only have access to it when I am home.

Yep I leave a clam shell out filled with water for my two smaller dogs (around 8-10kg). I'm not worried in the slightest about them drowning in it or tipping it over and getting stuck underneath - I can hardly tip it over let alone them. Also even when its filled up and they are lying down their heads are still out of the water.

My biggest issue with it is that they get in it during the day while I'm at work and then go through the doggy door and get water all over the floors and on the bed :laugh:

We have a old large laundry tub out for the dogs, only one dog uses it. She runs laps round the paddock, into the tub, out the other end and on it goes all day. This is ES's crazy dog she put up in another thread.

Smooch and Jimmy are inside with me in the air con and the other two just lay about under the trees.

I thought I read on DOL a while back about a clam shell which had become empty blowing over onto a small dog or pup and it ended up dying from heat stroke because it couldn't get out. I've also heard of a small dog somehow getting stuck in a bucket full of water and sadly drowning.

I think it's sensible to give our pets additional access to water on really hot days, we just need to be careful.

S

Easy solution to that though, couple of bricks in the bottom.

Possibly a good solution for the clam shell, but not what I'd recommend for a bucket necessarily. If a small dog tips in the bucket and can't get back out, the bricks could prevent it from tipping over thus releasing the dog. In the rescue dog runs there are buckets in milk crates to help stop them tipping them out (have had a few Cattle Dogs that like to dig in the buckets), but I would be apprehensive about putting one of those in with my JRT.......maybe I'm just way too paranoid though!!! :)

S

Possibly a good solution for the clam shell, but not what I'd recommend for a bucket necessarily. If a small dog tips in the bucket and can't get back out, the bricks could prevent it from tipping over thus releasing the dog. In the rescue dog runs there are buckets in milk crates to help stop them tipping them out (have had a few Cattle Dogs that like to dig in the buckets), but I would be apprehensive about putting one of those in with my JRT.......maybe I'm just way too paranoid though!!! :)

S

Reminds me of a story about a Stumpy Cattle Dog puppy only about 9 weeks of age at the time. Owner was visiting a stable complex & being an accomplished horse handler was asked to hold a fractious horse during a veterinary procedure. For safety's sake, or so he thought, he locked the little pup in an empty stable. In the space of fifteen minutes little pup had climbed up & fallen into the water bucket :eek: When owner came back to get him, he was motionless in the bucket & had turned completely blue. Fortunately owner & visiting vet managed to resuscitate him. He was a lucky pup though, fortunately did not suffer any brain damage & went on to be an awesome worker on cattle!

Shade is better/more important than a water bath. Just make sure your dog has a shady place at all times of the day.

No clam shells or any other excess water bowls here. As someone else said "water = snakes"

S

Reminds me of a story about a Stumpy Cattle Dog puppy only about 9 weeks of age at the time. Owner was visiting a stable complex & being an accomplished horse handler was asked to hold a fractious horse during a veterinary procedure. For safety's sake, or so he thought, he locked the little pup in an empty stable. In the space of fifteen minutes little pup had climbed up & fallen into the water bucket :eek: When owner came back to get him, he was motionless in the bucket & had turned completely blue. Fortunately owner & visiting vet managed to resuscitate him. He was a lucky pup though, fortunately did not suffer any brain damage & went on to be an awesome worker on cattle!

OMG, that is one lucky puppy. Glad to hear he recovered. Maybe I should have typed "but I would be apprehensive about putting one of those in with my JRT, any small dog or puppies". I know it's not something that you would necessarily immediately consider a danger, but after hearing about the other little dog that tragically died it is now on my radar at least.

S

I have three clam shells running in my yard under the palm trees.

I have found the ones with the seats in better rather than the scalloped clam shape. Mine lye in it and rest the head on the seats as if they were lying in a spa sipping wine.

As far as children coming in...... I have an acre dam - un fenced where there is a bigger chance of drowning in. Especially if they get stuck in the silt.

post-806-135858972066_thumb.jpg

I have one out all the time. Usually only a few inches in it.

Max loves lying in it and will often roll over onto his back while in it

ETA - in a back yard, not a run. And it's too heavy for him to lift and I always make sure there is enough water in it that it is too heavy to blow in the wind either

Edited by j